Anyone need a set of L mount auto extension tubes?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yesterday I used auto extension tubes on a non-Leica camera with an AF telephoto zoom lens to obtain the attached bank vole image. I've been struggling with manual focus Leica R lenses and Leica R tubes to obtain similar images but with only limited success. Using the AF c/u system yesterday was a revelation and a pleasure compared to using my SL with Leica R manual focus tubes.  Extension tubes have always been a priority with most other manufacturers' systems but so far the new  'L' mount partnership does not offer any 'tubes'.  If I could buy L mount auto-tubes I'd willingly buy e.g. an SL 90-280mm lens. Some might suggest using achromatic supplementary close-up lenses but fully auto 'tubes' have their advantages … not least their compatibility with the whole range of 'L' mount lenses (including APS-C TL lenses).

Designing a set of fully auto L-mount extension tubes should be a fairly straightforward exercise - and they'd likely sell very well too.

Would anyone else like a set if they were available? 

dunk 

Trying to photograph fast moving small mammals from a respectable subject distance 'in the field' is very difficult unless a camera system offers AF extension tubes.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

Yes, of course. I also hope for more niche products (that are now available for Fuji and Sony) like macro-adapters with helicoid (for M lens to L and R lens to L). Hopefully they come as soon as L-Mount is getting more popular, so that the Chinese start offering them. (Maybe also a Techart for L.)

The L-mount AF macro ring is maybe also a question of patents (so can only come from the L-alliance).

Edited by caissa

The Panasonic Lumix S series roadmap shows the following:

• Panasonic Lumix S 1.4x Teleconverter (Coming in 2019)
  • Panasonic Lumix S 2x Teleconverter (Coming in 2019)

… wondering if they will be compatible with Leica SL Lenses e.g. the 90-280mm ? 

And no hints regarding when these converters will actually be available. 

dunk 

• 1 year later...