Hello everyone, is there a technician among the forum?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone,

I wasn't sure where to post this, Leica Q Forum or here. I am sorry if it's not in the right section.

I am trying to disassemble my Leica Q but I am stuck. 

After removing all the screws I could find, from the front and bottom of the camera, I am still unable to remove the top frame with viewfinder.

I am able to lift it a bit from the front side but the back side stays put. So I am wondering if there a know or fastener I am missing.

If I try to lift the LCD back panel it lifts just from the bottom but I am unable to slide it nor remove it. It feels like the upper part is holding it for good.

Is there someone who could give me a tip on how to proceed?

The red square in the picture is the joint I am unable to open.

Thank you for your time.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

33 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

I think that was not good idea to "unscrew your Q".

I think that you want to repair it.

Do you know that obtaining parts may be very difficult or impossible ?

😵

Screw it back then send to Leica.

The camera works no problem. I wanted to convert full spectrum but I don't how to continue...

22 minutes ago, evikne said:

Sorry, I'm no technician. I'm just a bit curious about why you want to disassemble this expensive camera?

I would like to convert into full spectrum to shoot UV and IR photos. But with no guide is a bit risky. I don't want to force things.

You would be well advised to stop work on your Q and carefully replace all components.  You have probably invalidated any surviving warranty. 

Turning to your desire to shoot infra red, l advise you to consider buying an M8 and search the forum where there is a great deal of information on this subject. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks everyone for the interest. I managed to find the missing screws!

Here a picture taken with IR filter:

Here in UV: 

Visible Light:

Full spectrum (no filters):

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, amost said:

Thanks everyone for the interest. I managed to find the missing screws!

Here a picture taken with IR filter:

Here in UV: 

Visible Light:

Full spectrum (no filters):

beautiful

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daedalus2000 said:

can you explain the process? Did you remove some filter in from of the sensor?

I would also love to hear what you did as well as how you did it. How did you access the sensor? I assume you removed the lens. I am mightily impressed that you successfully did this. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mute-on said:

We travel to Japan every year and I really just wanted to know where that photo was taken. I should have been more specific. 

Ah I see. The location of the picture is "Kitazawa River Green Way" [35.654758, 139.665776]

Edited by amost
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Daedalus2000 said:

can you explain the process? Did you remove some filter in from of the sensor?

In short yes, I removed the IR/UV cutting filter in front of the sensor. In most cameras, except the Ms, where is part of it, is just positioned in front of the sensor. 

3 hours ago, iQ2 said:

I would also love to hear what you did as well as how you did it. How did you access the sensor? I assume you removed the lens. I am mightily impressed that you successfully did this. 

A lot of unscrewing!

You always start from the back of the camera. You unscrew the external screws on the bottom, front (remove vulcanite) and upper lid.

Once you remove the back plate with the LCD you have to remove two layers of chips, if you also consider the sensor chip.

Then there is the filter. Between the lens and sensor [side note: the back element is huge and really close to the sensor]. You remove the holding case of the filter and remove the latter.

Then put everything back together hoping the camera will turn on again.

I din't touch the lens as it was, luckily, not necessary. I would be scared to damaged the leaf shutter as I don't really know how it works.

• Like 4

vor 44 Minuten schrieb amost:

The location of the picture is "Kitazawa River Green Way" [35.654758, 139.665776]

That is walking distance from Shimo Kitazawa Station, also a great place for photos around there!

You get my greatest respect for opening the Q, I would not dare to do! The photos are impressive!

• Like 2