Q2 plate... from Really Right stuff which one?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I think there will be a Q2 plate soon.. I dont have my body yet either...  and probably not before the summer  unless i travel to go get it..  I can wait..

I was just curious as to  what people were doing.  Like i said  the RRS people are figuring out  what to do.  at least thats  what i was told.

I'm using the RRS B9 on my Q2. Works perfectly with my RRS ballhead. I seriously doubt we will see a full bottom plate from RRS or anyone else because of the size of the battery and how close it comes to the edge of the camera. That's just my opinion...

Hello there,

I heard the same thing  earlier today  from a couple of  people i ran into..  "I don't think it will be worth it for the RRS people to deal with it".

I have a few choices to look into. I do like the B9... and so far  you have had no issues?

Thanks for the reply.

P.S. Have you seen some of those Korean made cases for the Leicas?  WOW!!!

Edited by Giguchan

15 hours ago, Giguchan said:

Hello there,

I heard the same thing  earlier today  from a couple of  people i ran into..  "I don't think it will be worth it for the RRS people to deal with it".

I have a few choices to look into. I do like the B9... and so far  you have had no issues?

Thanks for the reply.

P.S. Have you seen some of those Korean made cases for the Leicas?  WOW!!!

B9 works great. There are probably other cheaper solution, but the B9 looks clean on the camera.

What bags are you referring to? any links?

15 hours ago, iTiki said:

B9 works great. There are probably other cheaper solution, but the B9 looks clean on the camera.

What bags are you referring to? any links?

Looks CLEAN?

I am assuming that plate has the smallest  footprint..  which is a good thing.. thanks again.

https://artedimano.com/Leicacases

If i said Bags  i was wrong.... i meant  Cases...

12 hours ago, Giguchan said:

Looks CLEAN?

I am assuming that plate has the smallest  footprint..  which is a good thing.. thanks again.

https://artedimano.com/Leicacases

If i said Bags  i was wrong.... i meant  Cases...

By "clean", I mean it blends in with the body of the camera as best it can. The quality matches that of the Leica. Obviously, a plate that covers the full edge of the bottom of the camera would look even better, but the way the battery and the card slot is positioned on the bottom of the camera, I seriously doubt there will be a better option. The only negative of a partial plate is that the camera does not sit flat when it is set on a flat surface such as a table. Not a huge issue with me, as I don't mind attaching the plate when I'm going to use a tripod and leave the plate off 90% of the time.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, iTiki said:

By "clean", I mean it blends in with the body of the camera as best it can. The quality matches that of the Leica. Obviously, a plate that covers the full edge of the bottom of the camera would look even better, but the way the battery and the card slot is positioned on the bottom of the camera, I seriously doubt there will be a better option. The only negative of a partial plate is that the camera does not sit flat when it is set on a flat surface such as a table. Not a huge issue with me, as I don't mind attaching the plate when I'm going to use a tripod and leave the plate off 90% of the time.

Hello there,

Thanks for the reply  you have been a great help..  I had an idea thats  what you meant.   I planned  on doing the same thing  the plate wont be left on a lot either..  just when using the T pod.  I dont think that the RRS people will waste time, R&D  engineering another plate when  they already have  3 plates that will already   do the job.

• 3 months later...

I also wrote RRS an email asking if they could bring out a plate with the wonderful sling system they have on the SL plate but got the same response. I was ironically wanting to use a tripod this evening hence my finding this group. I really think everyone should write to RRS as their solutions are the best. Well for me at least do any of you know if the sling is compatible with any of the plates suggested? Thank you 

I like this one - well made and versatile - and a fair price.  Use it with a RRS Tripod! :) 

https://www.promediagear.com/PLX3x-L-Bracket-Universal-3-inch-Arca-Swiss-Type-L-Plate-Designed-for-DSLRs-Mirrorless-Cameras-without-Grip-Canon-Nikon-Sony-Panasonic-etc_p_134.html

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by bullmoon

On 7/6/2019 at 11:06 PM, bullmoon said:

I like this one - well made and versatile - and a fair price.  Use it with a RRS Tripod! :) 

https://www.promediagear.com/PLX3x-L-Bracket-Universal-3-inch-Arca-Swiss-Type-L-Plate-Designed-for-DSLRs-Mirrorless-Cameras-without-Grip-Canon-Nikon-Sony-Panasonic-etc_p_134.html

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

More useful would be to see how the camera sits when this is attached.

Thank you 

• 2 months later...
39 minutes ago, Donzo98 said:

Saw this today... the Q2 hit the big time :)

It looks nice. About time! I have a similar “L” plate on my Canon 5D3. It’s been a total workhorse. I don’t need it on the Q2. I have an ADM case and a Arca-Swiss plate to add when doing tripod work. 

6 minutes ago, Leica Guy said:

It looks nice. About time! I have a similar “L” plate on my Canon 5D3. It’s been a total workhorse. I don’t need it on the Q2. I have an ADM case and a Arca-Swiss plate to add when doing tripod work. 

Agree... I don't need it either. Never use the Q2 on a tripod.

21 hours ago, Donzo98 said:

Agree... I don't need it either. Never use the Q2 on a tripod.

Never is a strong statement. I love photographing falling water or nighttime city reflections in water. Most are exposures from. 1-10 secs. I wouldn’t consider doing them without a tripod unless it was to produce an “artsy” blurred and colorful image. 

• Like 1

I had the RRS full plate and grip set for my M-P Typ 240, and I didn't use it once in four years. I think I just feel bad having such a nice tripod and no way to mount my camera on it, if I ever wanted to.

The main thing I used my tripod for in the old days, was formal portrait work, with a remote trigger. I would lock in the framing, and then step away from the camera. It's much easier to maintain eye contract and emotional rapport with portrait subjects when your face isn't hidden by a camera body. But that's formal portrait work. In more journalistic work, your subject is probably reacting more to other things in the environment, than to the photographer. You're more of an observer than a participant, so eye contact is less important.