Jump to content
bsmith

Q2 rear focus button doesn't disengage front shutter focus

Recommended Posts

Unlike the Q, the Q2 when set to (zoom button ) AFL does not disengage the focusing from the shutter button.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bsmith said:

Unlike the Q, the Q2 when set to (zoom button ) AFL does not disengage the focusing from the shutter button.

Yes, that is correct. I assume that is a software bug, a similar one that Q had in the beginning as well. I have reported it to Leica, you may do so as well.

Edited by SrMi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to Leica, it’s not a bug. They decided  to change it so you have to constantly hold the rear button in while you press the shutter to lock focus and or exposure. This in combination to now flush mounting the rear focus button, ruins the usefulness of this function that worked beautifully since  2015!!!!!! I guess Nikon, Canon, Sony and Fuji , plus  the Q1 and SL did it wrong all these years!!! Very disappointing that some that worked so well had to be made so awkward with the new improved camera!

please write Leica 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bsmith said:

According to Leica, it’s not a bug. They decided  to change it so you have to constantly hold the rear button in while you press the shutter to lock focus and or exposure. This in combination to now flush mounting the rear focus button, ruins the usefulness of this function that worked beautifully since  2015!!!!!! I guess Nikon, Canon, Sony and Fuji , plus  the Q1 and SL did it wrong all these years!!! Very disappointing that some that worked so well had to be made so awkward with the new improved camera!

please write Leica 

What do you mean by "According to Leica"? I have reported it to technicalinfo@leicacamerausa.com and they were not aware of the issue.

I also encourage those who care to contact Leica about that issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I emailed Leica USA in NJ. Technical Support 

They answered now one must hold down the back button to lock focus. Different then on Q1. I’m assuming Leica intentionally changed it. I’m hoping I’m wrong. They also could make an option to “ push to lock” or “hold to lock”  

yes, please contact Leica, Germany 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, bsmith said:

I emailed Leica USA in NJ. Technical Support 

They answered now one must hold down the back button to lock focus. Different then on Q1. I’m assuming Leica intentionally changed it. I’m hoping I’m wrong. They also could make an option to “ push to lock” or “hold to lock”  

yes, please contact Leica, Germany 

 

I do not think they told you it is not a bug but explained to you how it works now. It is important to mention to Leica that current Q2's implementation is not what the owners expect and that Q and SL have it implemented correctly.

Many Leica owners and testers do not use BBF, so they do not care much how it is implemented or if it is implemented at all. Others do care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me Leica is schizophrenic about BBF. Early on with the Q you had to keep the button pushed. I thought it ridiculous and gave up on it. Later, I really don’t know when, they separated AF on the back button from exposure on the shutter button. A push of the shutter did not refocus. It was locked in with the back button. It worked as it should have. Like my Canon and I know Nikon work. Now with the Q2 they’re reverted back to the original Q implementation. My guess is they picked up an early version of Q firmware when they started developing the Q2 code. Now they need to change it like they did on the Q and like I hear it is on the SL. My guess is they’ll do that. If they don’t, I’ll ignore it and not use BBF on the Q2. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...