Leica Q2 EVF not as good as expected

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, I've used the Q for a long time and was always happy with the EVF, it was pin sharp. I find that the EVF from the Q2 is flickering a bit, it's ever so slightly pixelated and not as crisp as it should be. Why is that? Has anyone else got those issues and are there any tips how it can be resolved? Please let me know, thanks

Edited by Michafoto

31 minutes ago, Michafoto said:

Hi, I've used the Q for a long time and was always happy with the EVF, it was pin sharp. I find that the EVF from the Q2 is flickering a bit, it's ever so slightly pixelated and not as crisp as it should be. Why is that? Has anyone else got those issues and are there any tips how it can be resolved? Please let me know, thanks

You mentioned pixelated. We started a thread a few days ago. Not sure if what you are experiencing is similar you might want to check that out. Didn’t notice any flickering personally. The ‘pixelation’ yes.

linked thread:

vor 1 Stunde schrieb kyriacos:

You mentioned pixelated. We started a thread a few days ago. Not sure if what you are experiencing is similar you might want to check that out. Didn’t notice any flickering personally. The ‘pixelation’ yes.

linked thread:

Thanks for your reply Kyriacos, Apologies I haven't seen your thread. I am sure that we are experiencing the same issue. Pixelation for sure, flickering might be maybe the wrong word, maybe a tiny bit of moire would be the better wording. I'll have to do more testing re this slight moire effect, maybe it just shows up under certain lighting conditions. Just got the camera today and am a bit disappointed about the performance of the EVF so far.... well hopefully it can be corrected with a firmware update. The same issue is also mentioned in a german review and it's thread, quite a few people report the same. And it affects the whole image and not just the fonts. Definitely not nice and crisp and sharp.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Michafoto said:

Thanks for your reply Kyriacos, Apologies I haven't seen your thread. I am sure that we are experiencing the same issue. Pixelation for sure, flickering might be maybe the wrong word, maybe a tiny bit of moire would be the better wording. I'll have to do more testing re this slight moire effect, maybe it just shows up under certain lighting conditions. Just got the camera today and am a bit disappointed about the performance of the EVF so far.... well hopefully it can be corrected with a firmware update. The same issue is also mentioned in a german review and it's thread, quite a few people report the same. And it affects the whole image and not just the fonts. Definitely not nice and crisp and sharp.

I still have the Q and have tried Q2's and Q's EVF on a couple of subjects. I find Q2's EVF better, especially in scenes with strong contrast.

While barely noticing it, I may see a slight moire effect during focusing. In AF-S, focusing is very quick, thus that effect disappears quickly. My assumption is that Leica Q2 reduces the resolution of the Q2 in order to focus quicker. If you have the moire effect all the time, then maybe there is a software bug, You could try resetting your camera, I hope that helps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michafoto said:

Thanks for the reply. I think you are right some slight moire under certain light conditions and the fonts. The fonts aren’t the issue i guess just the moire (or something) that looks weird at times when shooting. Honestly i think they will probably fix that with firmware if people submit feedback.

I don’t have an issue with it, would preferred if it wasn’t like that, but if the price is a laggy EVF instead then it’s okay :).

4 hours ago, kyriacos said:

Thanks for the reply. I think you are right some slight moire under certain light conditions and the fonts. The fonts aren’t the issue i guess just the moire (or something) that looks weird at times when shooting. Honestly i think they will probably fix that with firmware if people submit feedback.

I don’t have an issue with it, would preferred if it wasn’t like that, but if the price is a laggy EVF instead then it’s okay :).

Do you have a laggy EVF as well?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks both for the replies. My EVF is not laggy, it's very responsive and the AF is super snappy. The moire/pixelation effect is very subtle and hardly recognisable, but it is there and as you said primarily when the camera is focusing. It is also more obvious under artificial lighting than daylight. It's definitely a good idea to feed it back to Leica and maybe they will be able to improve it with a possible firmware update.

11 minutes ago, Michafoto said:

Thanks both for the replies. My EVF is not laggy, it's very responsive and the AF is super snappy. The moire/pixelation effect is very subtle and hardly recognisable, but it is there and as you said primarily when the camera is focusing. It is also more obvious under artificial lighting than daylight. It's definitely a good idea to feed it back to Leica and maybe they will be able to improve it with a possible firmware update.

100%.... I see it as well... 

Not a deal breaker by any means, but it’s annoying at times.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kyriacos said:

No. I meant that if by fixing this (i.e. improving the rendering) would lead to a laggy EVF, i personally would rather they don’t and keep it as is.

It is my understanding that if they do not reduce the resolution while focusing the lag will be in focus speed, not in EVF. In my opinion, slower focus speed or lag in  EVF would be much worse than the current situation.

22 minutes ago, SrMi said:

It is my understanding that if they do not reduce the resolution while focusing the lag will be in focus speed, not in EVF. In my opinion, slower focus speed or lag in  EVF would be much worse than the current situation.

Agreed :)

I think it did catch some people including me, off-guard since the original Q wasn’t like that i guess. And didn’t find any mention of it in any reviews so far.

I agree with you though. Focus speed and having the EVF lag free is a priority. In fact I didn’t notice it until i started playing with the EVF settings.

Good news, I spoke earlier on to a technician at the Leica HQ and they are already aware about the EVF issue. He wasn't a software engineer so couldn't tell me for sure if it will be possible to improve it. But if it is, it will be implemented in a future firmware upgrade.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Michafoto said:

Good news, I spoke earlier on to a technician at the Leica HQ and they are already aware about the EVF issue. He wasn't a software engineer so couldn't tell me for sure if it will be possible to improve it. But if it is, it will be implemented in a future firmware upgrade.    

That’s great!! Thank you for checking and letting us know! :)🍻

9 hours ago, bags27 said:

For all of you who are suffering from the poorly engineered Q2, I would be willing to swap my Q for your Q2 straight up. this is a limited time offer, so better hurry! 😀

I'm sure that when I finally get to the head of the queue and receive my Q2 somewhere in the middle of 2023 (about a week after the release of the Q3) I will consider your offer seriously. :)

• Haha 1

Nick, I phoned LCE at the Strand last Friday and was told that they had one in for sale, it had a 1cm long rip on the outer box, so I picked it up the next day and even got a £100 discount for the 'damaged' box.... try maybe phoning some stores?

Edited by Michafoto
  • Like 1