Cropped 50mm. 23MB

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear all,

I have a doubt and I would like you to help me. I shoot my Leica Q with 50mm.

I see the image cropped directly to my Lightroom and looks really as I shooted it (50mm frame). Once I export this image in DNG format  and I see the information of this image I see it has 23MB. I thought the image in 50mm cropped in Leica Q was a 8MB. What is wrong? I don't understand it. Pleae see the image capture for the information about my image shooted in 50mm. Thanks!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Just to clarify what everyone else said. The DNG has always the full raw image at full resolution. It does have some instructions embedded that tell the raw converters how you chose to crop in camera, but you can always revert to the full image. The jpeg will have the reduced resolution only.

Also, as Dan highlighted, do not confuse mega-pixels (MP) that refer to the dimension of the image in pixels and megabytes (MB) which refer to the size of the file in bytes. They are not the same. So 8MP is the size of the cropped image in pixels, 23MB is the size of your file.

Edited by Daedalus2000
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, microview said:

He may be wrong but Steve Huff says not all developer programs will let you see the full raw image and you are struck with the cropped area. LR of course is fine, hit the crop rectangle and you can reframe and save.

My experiments show:

- LR recognizes the crop and applies it as the default operation during import. The user can change the crop at will as the original image is available.

- ACR (Photoshop) applies the crop at import, Photoshop sees only the cropped file. The user cannot access the full-size original image.

- Apple Photos does not recognize the crop instructions, imports full-size image without any cropping lines/operations.

I assume C1 and others do not recognize the crop either.