I Love My M10! {merged}

Paulus

Leica's website says the M10 chassis is mostly magnesium alloy, and it's only 20g lighter than the M Typ 240. Top and bottom plates are brass.

Edited by sdk

Weighed my M-246 with battery and no other accessories and it was ~705g.  So in theory it's look like the M-10 is ~40 grams lighter.  I don't think I'll be able to discern a 40g difference - that's barely more than an ounce.  I was hoping sub 600g because that would be about a 10-15% reduction and something I would notice in normal use.  I think I will notice the 4mm reduction in thickness.  The M-240 family was getting a bit chubby in their waist.  

At least nothing got bigger or heavier :)  

Joni reports that the M10 body with battery and card are 50g lighter than M240. The M240 battery weighs 93g ... 50g more than the M9 battery, IIRC. People complained bitterly about the 'huge increase in weight' of the M240 over the M9, which was mostly because of the additional 50g of the battery. So now the M10 is 50g lighter ... and "eh, I probably won't feel that" is the response?

Silly stuff. :)

• Like 7

What I mean is that you will notice the feel of the smaller size of the M10 before you notice the lighter weight. Or did you mean my comment about the top plate?

The top plate.

The M262 top plate is made from aluminium; the top plate of the M10 is made from brass (like every other Leica apart from the ill-fated zinc top plate of a previous film M). Black chrome is just a finish, used on a number of M cameras (the first Monochrom and a number of others) with brass top plates.

It isn't an alternative construction.

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 2

The top plate.

The M262 top plate is made from aluminium; the top plate of the M10 is made from brass (like every other Leica apart from the ill-fated zinc top plate of a previous film M). Black chrome is just a finish, used on a number of M cameras (the first Monochrom and a number of others) with brass top plates.

It isn't an alternative construction.

Ah yes, you are correct about the black chrome. I was told that the top plate in the M10 is not brass, but I could have misheard at the store when we were talking about it. I will say that the finish looked and felt very similar to that of the M262's (both samples of the M10 that I handled were black). 

• Like 1

For some addicts, it's a lot.

+1 I was once forced to endure an impromptu and lengthy performance of interpretive dance (?) by a smack-head outside a pub, because he thought this would justify me giving him a couple of quid for his next fix.

In hindsight, the dance was certainly original, but it was cold and I only had enough for another pint.

Now if I'd had my M-E with me, I'd have paid him a tenner for the pictures. :)

• Like 1

• jaapv changed the title to I Love My M10! {merged}