Q users: What non Leica brand has also made you happy?

Och

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/23/2019 at 9:35 AM, bags27 said:

I am waiting for the Sigma (now scheduled for 2020) to see what the Foveon looks like with Leica glass.

Be careful. Everything I've seen and read about the Foveon sensor indicates horrible quality at high ISO settings. 1600 is basically unusable.

For me Canon.

A few years back my first camera was the  Brownie Flash, I was 10 years old, a revelation.
Then I had a BRAUN Paxette 35SB.
Then my first Canon, one of the very first EOS650 that I kept very long.
Then a series of digital Canon 20D, 40D, 7D.
I currently have a 5DSR with a fabulous zoom L 24-70 2.8 II unstabilized.
I sold 70-200 2.8 II L, 16-35 4 L, 100mm macro .... Too old to wear it all on my back.
I ordered my first Leica, the Q2 to travel very light.
Like many of you, I do not know when it will be available in my photo store in France. So I wait while browsing this great forum.

Edited by dd78

21 hours ago, fotografr said:

Be careful. Everything I've seen and read about the Foveon sensor indicates horrible quality at high ISO settings. 1600 is basically unusable.

thanks. I'm thinking for landscape, and maybe on a tripod.

On 3/23/2019 at 4:02 AM, Mr.Q said:

Hasselblad X1D. The SOOC colors are the best out of any camera brand I've tried. The XCD lenses are better than the Leica M lenses, in my opinion.

Since the OP is looking for non-Leica alternatives "cause of budgetary reasons," I seriously doubt he wants to consider a $17,000 Hassy.

Edited by fotografr

Some great feedback here for the OP’s question—I might even heed some of it myself!

I fell in love with Fujifilm’s X100T several years ago, so much that I bought the X-T2 to have interchangeable lens capability.  I still love this camera because it transports me back to the ‘70s when I was going nuts with my Nikkormat FTN:  All-metal construction with retro design, yet all the modern digital accouterments!  Yes, Fuji’s RAW files are lifelessly flat in LR, but easily fixed with a standard preset on import.

This said, I am loving my new Q2.  There’s something liberating about NOT having to mess with other lens options or flash, etc...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

About to receive a Q today, after selling off most of my Canon gear.  Tired of lugging around bodies, lenses, etc.  

Still shooting film with a wonderful M6(Zeiss lens).  Then I have a Fuji X-Pro1, XT1, & Pixel 3.  (Still too much gear....)

• Like 1

On 3/23/2019 at 2:02 AM, Mr.Q said:

Hasselblad X1D. The SOOC colors are the best out of any camera brand I've tried. The XCD lenses are better than the Leica M lenses, in my opinion.

On 3/23/2019 at 2:09 AM, dancook said:

Haha I would have said x1d except for the budgetary concerns of the OP :) lovely image quality

:D

I use the CL as my "standard" camera. I have the inverse problem: Do I want the Q2 or the X1D to complement it? Such choices! 

About one year ago I purchased a Fujifilm X100F.  It is certainly not a Leica (I have a M240 and a Q), although it has similarities to a Q - size, weight, fixed lens, auto focus, although it is much lighter.  It is somewhat complicated to use, i.e., menu items, etc.  It has quite a few options, including a multitude of filter settings, film settings (e.g., one can set it on "Kodachrome" and get results similar to the original film), ability to use manual focus.  Overall I like it, and I also am happy and satisfied that I own one.

As far as travel cameras go, for me it is a toss-up between the X100f and the Q.

I always keep a camera on a counter nearby.  After completing cataract surgery and now having superb "x-ray" vision, I switched from the X100F and I've gone back to the M240.

Still love my Hasselblad 500CM outfit too. :) They're magnificent cameras. The 1978 500CM I have now I bought in 2012 or 2013, it replaced the 1979 "Apollo Commemorative" one I sold to my friend about 2004 or so. Current prices for old film gear are such that they're practically being given away, and they're still just as good a camera as they always were. I think I acquired the body, two backs, four lenses, and two finders for something under $2800. 

A digital camera that I found was a great travel choice was my Light L16. FoVs from the FF equivalent of 28mm to 150mm, with up to 60mPixel resolution, and it's barely bigger than a large cell phone. Beautiful results out of it, and effortless to carry. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ramarren said:

:D

I use the CL as my "standard" camera. I have the inverse problem: Do I want the Q2 or the X1D to complement it? Such choices! 

I like events/candid/live music things with people that I don't need to pose.

The X1D has a great image quality with most excellent handling of dynamic range - it's able to tame harsh sunlight and lift shadows without making the image look flat and dull.

I had the XCD 90mm for a while, and the XCD 30mm briefly.

The XCD 30mm (24mm ff) was not good for close quarters candid because the size and speed made it clumsy, the Leica Q leaves it for dust here - though I'm sure candid event photography is not what the camera is designed for.

The size and speed was not so much an issue with the XCD 90mm (72mm ff) because at a distance the relative movement is typically less, and I haven't necessarily revealed my position already.

I sold the X1D (and Q) when I got the Q2, to consolidate what I enjoy most into a single camera (i still have 2 x Sony A9 + most of the gm lenses) - though I lost out of on the X1D for the possibility of high image quality portraiture and landscape, I was not doing those enough to justify keeping it and I was happy get some money back.

The X1D shoots in 4:3 by the way, I quite like it for portraits.

But that's all me, I guess choosing between the Q2 and the X1D is really going to be down to what you want to shoot and how much benefit it will give you over the CL.

Edited by dancook

Recently bought a used silver Q which came with a blue cast EVF which I’m trying to ignore.

The iq is superb though.

I still have and use my Olympus EM1 mk2 along with the ‘holy trinity’ of f1.2 primes...and the 75 f1.8 as well as the 40-150mm f2.8...oh and the 12mm f2 and 7-14mm. GAS? Guilty as charged.

• Like 1

For work, never been disappointed by my Canons (now a 5D4 and an R with L lenses), coupled with a Sony RX1R Mark 2. Superb IQ from a superb and exceptionally flexible 42MP sensor, and superb Zeiss 35/2 Sonnar.

So I just purchased a Fuji x-t30 camera as they were on sale with the kit lens 18-50 and having used it with the Lin case it is a fun camera to use and at $1200 a nice second camera. The raw files process nicely and jpegs are very nice indeed. Nice to have options. 

• 2 months later...

I loved the Zeiss Ikon; It was a pleasure to shoot with with regard to ergonomics, tactility, and image quality. I am sorry I sold it. If Zeiss had produced a digital version I would have been first in the queue to buy it.

As well as the Q, I have a Fuji XT-1 and a bunch of lenses which give me good results, but I find that I use it less and less because of the Q.

I never warmed to the Leica M9; the inconsistent white balance drove me crazy. Having said that, I am convinced that there will be a M10 in my future.

Edited by Viv