Q users: What non Leica brand has also made you happy?

Och

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Been using the Q almost exclusively for about a year, and the IQ to me is perfect. Importing DNGs to LR, I need to make very few adjustments. I like the color, tonality, bokeh quality, sharpness, really nothing to fault.

I am longing to use some different focal lengths again, so to those that may have/continue to use other brands with the Q, which cameras have given you similar type of IQ and you've been happy with? Targeting non-Leica cause of budgetary reasons.

7 minutes ago, Mr.Q said:

Hasselblad X1D. The SOOC colors are the best out of any camera brand I've tried. The XCD lenses are better than the Leica M lenses, in my opinion.

Haha I would have said x1d except for the budgetary concerns of the OP :) lovely image quality

• Like 1

Hasselblad, the X1D specifically.  If you want similar IQ and budget, why not stick with used Leica.  I would get a used T or TL with some used M lenses.  Very nice images.  Don’t let the price of a used T turn you off.  It is no slouch combined with M lenses.  Even very old M lenses.

• Like 2

I went for a used CL as my 2nd camera to my Q, and am really enjoying it. I rationalized the decision by convincing myself I'd be content shooting my legacy Nikon glass on it. But in the 6 weeks since I bought the CL, I've also bought 3 Leica lenses and am looking at a 4th. So much for budgetary restraint!

I am waiting for the Sigma (now scheduled for 2020) to see what the Foveon looks like with Leica glass. But I think the only "normal" FF camera I'd consider besides a shrunken SL2 is the Nikon Z 6 or 7, since it has the least cluttered user interface and is really an excellent camera.

I have (too) many cameras. Pieces I have, are selected because of some sort of bonding with them. I was very happy with my selection, Nikon Df + Voigtländer 58mm Nokton as FF, Olympus OM-D E-M5.2 with multiple m43 lenses especially PL 25mm Summilux and mZuiko 12-40 2.8 for easiness and versatility and Fujifilm X100S for camera-walks. Not to forget Olympus Pen E-P5 with mZuiko 17mm for its beauty. 

And then I found mint Leica M8 and bought Voigtländer 35mm Nokton for it. And here we are then, I'm eagerly waiting my Q2 to arrive. And wondering, what to do for other cameras 🤪

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Matero said:

I have (too) many cameras. Pieces I have, are selected because of some sort of bonding with them. I was very happy with my selection, Nikon Df + Voigtländer 58mm Nokton as FF, Olympus OM-D E-M5.2 with multiple m43 lenses especially PL 25mm Summilux and mZuiko 12-40 2.8 for easiness and versatility and Fujifilm X100S for camera-walks. Not to forget Olympus Pen E-P5 with mZuiko 17mm for its beauty. 

And then I found mint Leica M8 and bought Voigtländer 35mm Nokton for it. And here we are then, I'm eagerly waiting my Q2 to arrive. And wondering, what to do for other cameras 🤪

The Nikon Df is a camera I just never got around to. I love its UI, and it produces fantastic colors. Maybe I'll still pick one up used if prices continue to fall. I agree about Voigtländer lenses. The new 50 f/1.2 is supposed to be fantastic, and I'm thinking about it as a portrait lens for the CL, where it will be a 75mm.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bags27 said:

The Nikon Df is a camera I just never got around to. I love its UI, and it produces fantastic colors. Maybe I'll still pick one up used if prices continue to fall. I agree about Voigtländer lenses. The new 50 f/1.2 is supposed to be fantastic, and I'm thinking about it as a portrait lens for the CL, where it will be a 75mm.

Df was maybe the first digital camera I really, really wanted. I couldn't afford to it, however, at the time of introduction. But when years go by, pre-owned prices drop and I eventually found a good sample. And bought without blink of the eye. Paired with Nokton 58mm, superb manual experience, IMHO. And as a bonus, I still have couple of film era Nikkors in the cabinet ;)

E-M5.2 is just a work-horse for me, easy to use auto-focus, decent quality on more difficult lighting conditions (requires PP of Raw) and I think excellent quality in good light. (I don't shoot sport!) But E-M5.2 is still just a tool. X100S is in the other hand very capable camera for walks in the city and outside. And I have some sort of emotional bond to it. Really enjoyable equipment for taking photos. However, if one needs to shoot Raw, I don't like the effort its sensor needs in PP. That's why I'm eventually dumping it (not really, just selling it) when my Q2 arrives. You see how confident I am to like Q2 :)

Maybe I'll sell also E-M5.2, at least I expect it to suffer from being in the end of the line behind two Leicas and Nikon. But we'll see.

• Like 1

Fuji GFX 50R with GF 45mm and GF 110mm lenses. My problem now is that I have not touched my Q since I purchased that system (still can't get myself to sell the Q, even though I probably should ...). But the GFX (medium format) IQ is incredible (of course must print big or view files on very high rez screen to fully appreciate).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Canon 5D IV or EOS R, with the lower end PRIMES, never really could justify the L Quality Primes.  Especially when using flash (Profoto) or for standard video youtube etc.  Q2 is definitely my go to for everyday in the bag camera, however with the lack of external Microphone and no manual video.  These Canon cameras shine... Just my two cents.. Good Luck.. 

So I am using a Sony A7 iii with Pentax primes lenses and love the quality of the images.  The Pentax lenses also have a special quality to them.  All manual focus of course but with peaking easy to wrk with.  

Nice form factor as well over the larger Sony lenses. 

• Like 1

Just changed from a M240 with 2 lenses to the Q2 (should arrive in coming weeks). Next to that I have Fuji XH1 with 10-24, 16-55 and 50-230 zooms. The 50-230 sees hardly any use, but as it was such a bargain I will hold on to it. For me, these 'systems' complement each other very well, but I realise that that is a very personal view on things and depends on the anticipated use.

Good luck in your quest 😀