Sign in to follow this  
muah

Fast shuttle speed cause black border?

dear all.  may i ask if anyone has experience the same effect as i did when i shoot at the maximum shuttle speed on a fast lens, i get a black border on the top of my image.

is it caused by too fast a lens at large ape rapture and super fast shuttle speed, the camera has not enough time to ‘fill’ all the sensor and as a result a black band appears on top of my capitures image, approximate 1/8 band width.

please advise if anyone has the same experience and if my explanation is correct on the black band.

Shouldn’t happen except if the scene is lit by fluorescent lights or something similar like LED.s.  It happens because the scene is illuminated by light that is flashing (but you can’t see it), and the shutter is closing before the camera has had time to capture the complete frame. Check your system by shooting outdoors with the same settings, or indoor without lighting.   (Set ISO to auto, shutter speed to 4000, and aperture to f2.

If all other causes are ruled out (see posts above) this would suggest a shutter fault.

2 hours ago, lucerne said:

Shouldn’t happen except if the scene is lit by fluorescent lights or something similar like LED.s.  It happens because the scene is illuminated by light that is flashing (but you can’t see it), and the shutter is closing before the camera has had time to capture the complete frame. Check your system by shooting outdoors with the same settings, or indoor without lighting.   (Set ISO to auto, shutter speed to 4000, and aperture to f2.

I have returned to my original answer because I think I may have been partially wrong.

if there is a fault with the shutter, then you might get the black line.

if the lighting is fluorescent, then the flickering frequency of the light might cause the image to have a series of black lines since the exposure is not constant.  

I suggest you check your shutter first by making exposures in daylight or indoors without any other illumination.   If they are ok, then check your lighting.  You may have flickering light, or fluorescent bulbs.   These are best avoided in photographic situations.

3 hours ago, earleygallery said:

You are asking a question about photos on a photo forum - post a photo!

FACT. Would be at least a little bit easier to help.

Posted (edited)

Sorry about non-photo....

here are photos taken of same subject, albeit with different shuttle speed, everything else the same.

note black shadowy vignetting above for 1/4000 shuttle vs non-vignetting at 1/750.

shoot with Summicron 90 at F2.0 with shuttle 1/4000

Edited by muah

So many additional variables but still most likely your shutter. Send to Leica.

thanks all for inputs.

did more checks this morning, it seems the first shot is fine and the subsequent shots at similar shuttle speed will have vignetting on the top.

switch off camera and switch on again, no problem with first shot, but again subsequent shot will have vignetting.

this leads me to think it should not be a hardware problem but maybe software? tried resetting the camera but to no avail

back to leica?   =(

Assuming it’s not the flap or strap from a case it’s almost certainly an intermittent shutter fault.

Posted (edited)

Ok Muah.

first, there’s no shuttle on the camera, its a shutter.

second, vignetting is usually corners darker caused by something in the path of the lens.  Could be inside or outside like a filter or lens shade not fitted correctly..   that’s Not what is appearing on your images.

it seems like your camera (shutter hardware or electronics) is faulty.  It needs to be returned to Leica.  Quickly, because it could get worse.  

Good luck.

Edited by lucerne

Thank you.  indeed it should be shutter.

so far only seeing it at 1/2500 speed hopefully it does not get worse till i can send it to Wetzlar.

Just before sending it off to Wetzlar just check you aren't 'developing' the image with some sort of weird Lightroom pre-set that you've been experimenting with and then forgotten about. It might also be worth resetting the camera to factory default.

Thank you.  i did reset the camera and also the banding can be seen even before i view the on my computer.

Can the banding be seen when you view on the computer?

as well as on computer. did some photos today, still seeing them at high shutter speed. but if i switch off and switch on, i may not get the band.

i think it maybe some capacitor not working to keep the shuttle at ‘top’ speed.  especially when i shoot in fast mode. i.e. multiple shots, it gets banding for the second and subsequent shots.

I had the opposite effect with my new M10 from November 2017.
I light section at the bottom of the picture, only once every so many exposures.
The shutter was replaced in Wetzlar. It took them 3 weeks to send the camera back.