Q2 User Profiles

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello @All

I try to configure my custom user profiles from my new Q2, but I´m struggling a bit what I should setup exactly.

Jonathan Slack wrote:

User Profiles

I have talked to lots of people about the User Profiles, but very few people seem to use them; I think they are just great. 

Like the CL the Q2 has 6 user configurable profiles (plus Default), you can rename them sensibly, and they will save pretty much everything except time and date. The Q is slightly more limited, as you can’t save information which is on physical dials (Aperture, Shutter Speed, PASM mode). 

Generally speaking I have 4 different modes which I use regularly with different settings for white balance / focus mode / Auto ISO settings / Exposure metering mode. 

My four profiles

Daylight - For shooting outside in the daytime 

Nighttime - For shooting in Artificial light

Monochrome - For shooting on those drab winter English days, with the jpg setting change to high contrast black and white. This really helps to concentrate on composition (rather than colour).

Tracking - With continuous AF and tracking mode enabled for dogs / footballers / birds / grandchildren.

No need to go into specific settings (although I can if anyone is interested), but the point is to have a good starting point for your common photographic situations, and to be able to swap between them quickly and easily

I would be highly interested to configure my Q2 for an easy to use for any situation, so if possible please share your settings.

Thanks 

• Like 1

I am a great believer in user profiles. As you want a 'catch-all' profile, I suggest you ZERO your camera settings so you start with a known baseline. Next, work your way through the main menu selecting settings appropriate for your everyday photography. I expect you might need AUTO ISO and AUTO WHITE BALANCE, for example. Finally, in the menu store those settings in a new profile with a name of your choice, possibly  MY DEFAULT.

Remember that you can refine the settings with experience of the camera and overwrite and update any of your User Profiles. It is a good idea to copy the profiles onto an external hard drive or memory stick in case you want to restore the settings at any time, such as after a firmware upgrade. Consider creating additional function specific profiles to suit your personal needs.

I do not have a Q2, but the principle applies to any model.

Edited by wda
  • Like 2

On 3/22/2019 at 2:46 PM, TrickyMrT said:

thank you for the reply.

Can you share your settings for the different profiles?

You will learn a lot more by working through the process. Try my simple guidelines in my para 1 above. Add your choice of capture mode (DNG or JPG or a combination of the two). Save as a named profile. Work with it. Then add one or two new features and save those. The user manual is easy to follow. Slowly refine your profiles to make life simple and consistent. 

Hi,

Just to give you an idea, this is how I’ve setup my user profiles on the Q2:

-DEFAULT: Simple AF-S, PASM mode

-FACE TRACK: Face detection on

-TRACKING: AF on Tracking

-FULL AUTO: Everything set on auto, when the wife needs to use it :)

-MONO: Same settings as default, but higer contrast + monochrome

-EVF: Same settings as default, but EVF extended only. This user profile is when I’m in a “classic rangefinder” mood :)

Hope this helps..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have one thing probably different from most:

I have a Q but the idea is the same:

I have set Contuous shooting to low and have set Afc:

very good for moving objects, just press and hold the shutter and as soon as the object is closer than expected, let go. When you let go, the sequence stops, even after the first picture; so on my Q the on/off button is always on C, for a stationary foto I just let go after I press the shutter for a first picture.

• 9 months later...