Nickel/chrome xenon 1.5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, I just acquired this xenon 1.5 with chrome focussing rings but nickel from the aperture ring up. Came with a set of 6 matching nickel filters. Very late serial number. Any idea what this was for? 

thank you!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Yes, concentric rings usually are to achieve  "soft focus" effect… typically on portraits… Leitz never did one, afaik (there was the Thambar for this B)) but many were made from lot of brands… personally, I have one for Rolleiflex TLR : it's named "Rolleisoft" (used it… lot of years ago... the effect, with Planar wide open, was indeed pleasant)

The question on nickel finishing of the front parts is much more intriguing… those Xenons are (I think) undoubtly rare… the front assembly is also different from standard Xenons, and, btw, they haven't the std. bayonet ring for Xenon filters (and maybe that's the reason for the 6 filters you quote are part of your item… they aren't the std Leitz filter for Xenons) .  Seems that those odd Xenons are related with the X-Ray version of this lens… but I don't know much more about… can you post some other picture of your lens  (side view, front engraving without filter) ? I think it can be a good rarity.

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Here is a photo of the front ring. In nickel with black writing as opposed to black ring with white writing as seen on other xenons

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It’s certainly a mystery. Very unusual for the filters not to be lost  after all these years and potentially a clue to its use? The soft focus one has two red dots on the side and an orange gelatine filter has a single red dot on the side. The other 5 are free of dots(yellow and red filters)

How does the the filter go on? The only Leitz series of filters for the Xenon are slip on and carry a codename beginning with XOOxx. The series includes red and yellow filters, but not any soft focus filter. I suspect that what you have is a third party filter set. I have slip on filters for the later Summarits from the 1950s, but they look quite different to what you have here.

William

• Thanks 1