135 f2.8 Elmarit

12 hours ago, lct said:

Bulky indeed but very good lens on digital. Just make sure that its goggles are removable if you intend to use it on mirrorless cameras.

Hello LCT,

Why would a person want to remove the goggles if they were to use the lens on a mirrorless camera? If a person does what is necessary to have the goggles removed: Then the lens will need to be reconfigured for use on a range/viewfinder camera at a later date.

Best Regards,

Michael

8 minutes ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Why would a person want to remove the goggles if they were to use the lens on a mirrorless camera? If a person does what is necessary to have the goggles removed: Then the lens will need to be reconfigured for use on a range/viewfinder camera at a later date.

Pity i have not my 135/2.8 here otherwise i would show you how it looks on my CL. Those goggles are inappropriate there at best. Another solution is to acquire an R version of the lens but the Leica adapter for R lenses is expensive so i'd rather remove the goggles if this is possible w/o butchering the lens. Not the case on mine BTW.

• Thanks 1

Here's a 1961 135mm F4 elmar on the CL. (Aftermarket lens hood).  It is a very lightweight option, and renders beautifully. Great for portraits, too. I have seen them on ebay in the $200 price range.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by ropo54

Hello Rob,

And don't forget that the 135mm, F4, Elmar is a good lens for normal distances, landscapes, closeups & so on. It will give images on par with its contemporary counterparts when using medium apertures.

By the way, you might also try a lens hood 12575 in place of the 12585 lookalike. The 12575 might cut out a bit more stray light in some circumstances.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 minutes ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello Rob,

And don't forget that the 135mm, F4, Elmar is a good lens for normal distances, landscapes, closeups & so on. It will give images on par with its contemporary counterparts when using medium apertures.

Best Regards,

Michael

Thanks, Michael. Yes, I could not agree more.   Here are some shots taken with it on my SL.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

To the original poster:

Bottom line, the Leica 135 f/2.8 is a 1960s lens (last optics design update, 1968, 51 years ago). In that era it was the best 135 f/2.8 ever. In later eras it was the 2nd-best ever (The Zeiss Sonnar f/2.8 for the Japanese Yashica/Contax system surpassed it at larger apertures and for contrast).

(By the 1970s, 135s had fallen a bit out of favor as tele-zooms and f/2.8 180s hit the market - Leica never developed their f/2.8 further. Nor did they pursue a 135 f/2.0, as did Canon, Nikon, Zeiss, etc.).

It fits in with other Leitz pre-APO, pre-ASPH short teles. Such as the 90 f/2, Tele-Elmarits and the non-APO 180s. At f/2.8, a lowish-contrast image with overlaid "sharpness" and "softness," and visible red-green color fringing, especially in slightly de-focused areas. Stopped down to f/5.6 or better, it just about matches the best of the Leica f/4 135 lenses. It doesn't ever get as "clean, clear and contrasty" as the APO-Telyt f/3.4 - it stays a bit muddy (although the contrast can be increased in post-processing, and its "Gaussian" blur sharpens fairly well). It has the greenish-cyan tint favored by Walter Mandler, rather than the pinker color of post-1990 Leica lenses. Quite nice smooth bokeh.

The R lenses were the same glass in different mount. There were 3 versions, 1963, 1964 and 1968 - minor changes in IQ.

Attached - 135 Elmarit-M at f/2.8, M9, crop for 100% pixels, and full-frame.

• Like 1

Interesting picture to choose for years I made a living as an ophthalmic (eye) photographer, my choice on film was a 100 Micro Nikkor.  So this is a picture I relate to.

With the CL I have 2 short telephotos, a 90 f2.8 Elmarit and a 85 f2 Nikkor, on film I liked the Nikkor better with the CL the Elmarit. My main gripe with the 85 is the rotating f stop ring, beside f2 being so soft it is useless, sharpens up at f2.8 and is a fine lens after that. 

So I guess I was looking at something longer, trying to keep the CL kit f2.8 or faster, but an f4 maybe an alternative. Had a 135 4.5 Hektor (M mount) on film for a while and never really liked it. Then there is the 70-200 Panasonic, just much pricier than what I have been talking about.

Tom

Just sold my 135 2.8 elmarit on ebay (£240) it has removeable goggles so perfect on CL or M cameras...good results but  I'm more into wides , Have the 11-23 and 35.......my only Tele now is a 90 Elmarit M (reasonably new) and I love it...plenty long enough with the crop factor for me.

If I was going to look at long Telephotos, perhaps the CL isn't the camera for them but hey, a reasonable L mount AUTOFOCUS 200mm may be coming from sigma so that may be an option

Edited by johntobias

You could consider Tele-Elmar 4/135 (1965-1998). I use mine for landscape at infinity or with bellows for macro. It performs well at infinity.When I get an adapter for my TL I plan to use it there as well. Maybe try something other than infinity.

It will cost about 30% more than the 2,8/135. I have not tried other 135mm, but I did read a lot about them before I made my choice. It seems this one gives you more for the money than the others.

Then there is the Apo-Telyt 3,4/180 (1975-1998). I bought this later, and with my use I could live with this one instead of a 135mm or both. It is very good wide open at infinity. Will cost about twice of a 2,8/135, but you have to add the cost of an R-M adapter.

Thanks for your insites. 

Wide is also interesting I have a Nikon adaptor and have used my 11-16 f2.8 Tokina, which is a really good lens. Probably looking at the 16 f1.8 Sigma when it comes out or the 14 if it is rectilinear.

The 70-200 Panasonic looks good, but won't be the fist to buy one. I find on my Nikon an 80-200 zoom fixed f stop is fine for when I want a telephoto. Always wondering about older glass.

On 3/20/2019 at 7:26 PM, lct said:

Pity i have not my 135/2.8 here otherwise i would show you how it looks on my CL. Those goggles are inappropriate there at best. Another solution is to acquire an R version of the lens but the Leica adapter for R lenses is expensive so i'd rather remove the goggles if this is possible w/o butchering the lens. Not the case on mine BTW.

The 135/2.8 M has a removable lenshead, I have used mine on the short focussing mount for Visoflex, plus a Viso to Nikon F adapter on Nikon film and digital , and for evf cameras have used a Nikon to m4/3, then Sony, and now Fuji adapters.  Its heavy, but very nice! And I can 'restore' it to goggles for use on the M3 when I want.

Gerry 

• 2 weeks later...

To have a telephoto lens for my CL was my goal. Found a 200mm f4 Canon FD for $20, did some preliminary testing. Below at f5.6 ISO 400 on the CL. Looks like a decent place holder lens. The lilacs in front of the tree sort of jumbles the picture.

I have both Hektor 135mm f/4.5 and Elmarit-R 135mm f/2.8. Both make lovely photographs on both my CL and other Leica bodies. I also have the Elmar-R 180mm f/4, which is very small and light for a 180mm lens and produces beautiful images. It was also one of my least expensive R lens purchases. 

G

The Canon 200 was a impulse purchase at $20, the picture show looked better on my screen, thought I had a setting in PS for the correct size from RAW, but had to shrink it, so messing with jpegs. I thought about the 180 but requires the R adapter which doubled the price. I had the 200 for several years with film Canons and have some very good photos with it. As I said earlier I am inclined to wait for the 70-200 Panasonic/Leica. Then get permission from my wife as I have spent more on cameras in the last 6 months than for the 10 years before.

Tom