Adox Silvermax Experience?

Torontoamateur

My best advice would be to just use a couple of rolls, develop as you see fit, make some prints and then decide for yourself. Is it better than Ilford or Kodak or Rollei? No - not better - it's different. My experience has not so far included wet printing (it does scan well), nor have I developed in Silvermax developer (development times in XTOL 1:1 are the same as for Tri-X), but I can confidently say that it is a glorious film:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Not a good shot, but it is nice film to use. I think I developed in Ilford DDX...

A019 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

I like Adox Silvermax film,  processed in Silvermax developer it has more defined grain than other 100 iso films, especially the T grain emulsions, but you'd expect that and it is the film's  signature and not a criticism.

I wrote some first-use opinions of Adox Silvermax here a few years ago, but the best thing to do is try it for yourself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ouroboros said:

I like Adox Silvermax film,  processed in Silvermax developer it has more defined grain than other 100 iso films, especially the T grain emulsions, but you'd expect that and it is the film's  signature and not a criticism.

I wrote some first-use opinions of Adox Silvermax here a few years ago, but the best thing to do is try it for yourself.

Thank You

13 hours ago, stray cat said:

My best advice would be to just use a couple of rolls, develop as you see fit, make some prints and then decide for yourself. Is it better than Ilford or Kodak or Rollei? No - not better - it's different. My experience has not so far included wet printing (it does scan well), nor have I developed in Silvermax developer (development times in XTOL 1:1 are the same as for Tri-X), but I can confidently say that it is a glorious film:

seems the window highlight blew out. I thought this film had latitude. But maybe because you did not use the Silvermax developer. I think that is the =key to the special character of the film.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, Torontoamateur said:

seems the window highlight blew out. I thought this film had latitude. But maybe because you did not use the Silvermax developer. I think that is the =key to the special character of the film.

You could hardly see in the interior and it was a hot, sunny day outside - I tried to keep that in the shot. The window did brilliantly, all things  considered, and I thought that would have been obvious from my example. But whatever.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, stray cat said:

You could hardly see in the interior and it was a hot, sunny day outside - I tried to keep that in the shot. The window did brilliantly, all things  considered, and I thought that would have been obvious from my example. But whatever.

I was considering that the Latitude would be even greater with the Silvermax developer. I You shot did impress me. Perhaps the limitation is my computer screen.

• Thanks 1