New M8 Firmware Preview 27/07/07!!! Laundry list

Mauribix

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi folks,

I've just received the leica newsletter announcing the new M8 firmware for july 27,

What are you hoping to see?...

My hope:

1) WATE uv/ir selection improvement

2) Automatic switching on operation (still now i have to switch on the power lever, and then press the shutter to make my M8 work)

3)...any magenta software correction....

4)...some color noise improvements....

5)...software correction for dust???(as in nikons...)

but maybe it's just as they wrote to me:

... optimization of internal procedures to reproduce images in the display, and some improvements in functional carachteristics....

let's see what's goin' on

regards

Maurizio

MAURIZIO BEUCCI.com - Official web site

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I truly hope that the the meter 'caching' the last reading after passivating - resulting in gross under/over-exposure on the shot which 'wakes' the meter gets fixed. It basically makes AE completely useless to me for grab shots in the street.

AWB for sure the rest i have not tested any beta. I guess there just releasing it. Fingers crossed some of our list is done

Could be that you spend to much time on this forum and instead of always wanting/expecting you to stay quiet about firmwares Leica has removed you from there beta tester list. I certainly hope that is not true but this would not be the first time I have heard of this happening, and without any prior notice to the tester.

IMHO you are both a great help to the M8 user base and to Leica.

Guy, between you and Sean Reid, I am constantly watching for your emails. Keep it up and I hope to meet you, and Sean, some day. Maybe at an LHSA meeting.

I hope the 'venetian blinds' on automatic review goes away with the firmware update. That really is my only complaint. Saw it way too much when in Europe last month.

Steve W

This is what the latest newsletter says:

Advance notice: New firmware version for the M8

As of July, 27th the new firmware version for the LEICA M8 will be available on the Leica homepage. The minor changes within the firmware version accomplish via modification of internal procedures an optimisation of the general image reproduction and the functional features of the LEICA M8.

As Guy has suggested, fine tuning and bugs fixes, but welcome nonetheless.

Guest guy_mancuso

BTW guys i am in NY burning up the runway with the M8 , honestly i am amazed i can keep up with this movement and the images are knockouts with color but i did run into a split channel processing problem at 1250 , the right halve went magenta for about 20 images , now it may have been heavy use on the buffer which i buried the camera a couple of times with speed and the buffer had some catching up to do . i will post some stuff when i get a chance.

No not at all, no one else either. Could be mostly just fixes

Hmm, if what you say is the case then it's fixes with no beta testing ?

I don't think we should be expecting too much then.

I reckon that apart from the AWB, the rest will simply be fixing the obvious display bugs (zebra striping / wrong image showing).

Still, that'll be pretty welcome - there are other things one might like, but to be honest the camera is coming up with the goods over and over again - so maybe we shouldn't be complaining!

Guest guy_mancuso

Honestly i think we will see on going firmware updates on the M8 and most likely more frequent also. i mentioned this in my meeting in Germany to keep them coming as they are getting done and not wait for more to do but knock out the fixes as fast as they can and start adding more functions as we go but on a more frquent basis. i personally think overall we will be better off like this and just keep fine tuning it. But my bet this firmware update AWB will get a lot better and i am hoping they fixed the compression on jpegs, not that i shoot them but many users do. I know Sean and I try to make suggestions and idea's more for the users overall than our personal needs.

I think that it'd be so much better to see small updates frequently than monolithic releases every 3-4 months. It would make the M8 more "organic".

Maybe this has been discussed before, but does anyone know who's doing the actual software dev for the M8's firmware? Did Leica hire inhouse or are they outsourcing?