Q2 EVF - Degraded resolution when taking photo/video (live view)

20 minutes ago, LexS said:

I am a layman, but I wonder could this difference have to do with the fact that there seems not to be an anti-aliasing filter in the Q2?

That’s on the sensor, the aliasing effect in the evf affects the display text so it’s not connected.

maybe it’s to do with interlacing for faster refresh rate when viewing a live feed.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I got my Leica Q2 a week ago and I have also noticed that the image in the EVF is pixelated.  It is noticeable in parts of the image where there is high contrast. The edges looks pixelated. The EVF in the Q2 is supposed to have a high resolution, so I’m thinking that maybe there is some kind of defect in the EVF? Or is there any valid reason why the EVF would display an image with pixelated edges in the EVF? 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 hours ago, R S said:

I got my Leica Q2 a week ago and I have also noticed that the image in the EVF is pixelated.  It is noticeable in parts of the image where there is high contrast. The edges looks pixelated. The EVF in the Q2 is supposed to have a high resolution, so I’m thinking that maybe there is some kind of defect in the EVF? Or is there any valid reason why the EVF would display an image with pixelated edges in the EVF? 

I’ve not noticed any pixelated images in the EVF. It may be my 68 year old eyes. My take is the Q2 EVF is very nice. Excellent resolution and brightness. Very little lag when watching moving objects. Very useful in bright conditions. 

Interesting. I don't think I would have ever noticed this since I don't use the EVF for playback too often.  But yes, the clarity is better in PLAY.  Not only the text items, but the photo as well.  It's most obvious looking at the ISO - the zeros will have blocky corners, but in PLAY they are smooth and rounded.  The LCD does not do this.

Thanks for your replies. To clarify, it is when I'm looking through the EVF and composing the shot and also when I half-press the shutter that I notice pixelation/jagged edges. It most noticeable in areas where there is high contrast between edges. It makes it somewhat difficult to tell if I have acquired focus or not. After I have taken the shot and view it in Play-mode there is no pixelation/jagged edges.

5 minutes ago, R S said:

Thanks for your replies. To clarify, it is when I'm looking through the EVF and composing the shot and also when I half-press the shutter that I notice pixelation/jagged edges. It most noticeable in areas where there is high contrast between edges. It makes it somewhat difficult to tell if I have acquired focus or not. After I have taken the shot and view it in Play-mode there is no pixelation/jagged edges.

Yup... I have the same issue. Not a deal breaker, but definitely there, and somewhat annoying. 

Hopefully, they will fix it in a FW update.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/15/2019 at 5:18 PM, Alain88 said:

Does the firmware update fix it?

I don't think they included a fix for it in this firmware update. At least they did not specify it in the firmware update specifications. However, I do not experience pixelation/jagged edges as often anymore, or at the least it is not so prominent as it was earlier. Perhaps the pixelation is more visible under certain shooting circumstances. Like, if you are shooting in a warmer temperature and to prevent the camera from overheating(?) it reduces the processor power which results in a lower EVF resolution, i.e pixalation?). I don't know.

Edited by R S

• 7 months later...

Thank you for posting this issue.  I have the Q1 and Q2 and definitely noticed a downgraded resolution in the evf of the Q2. Very disappointed Leica didn't make evf resolution a priority especially with the Q2 being a larger format camera and so expensive.  With large prints and crops, you wanted feel certain the subject is in focus.  At first I thought it was my eye.  Things didn't seem sharp in live mode when you film subjects more than 5 feet away.  It is unsettling to not be sure something is in focus.  Combine lower resolution with a wide lens where there a small distinguishable difference between mid ground and foreground and it's just enough to be a distraction.  I hope this can be resolved with a firmware update.  

vor 2 Stunden schrieb dwtinsley:

Thank you for posting this issue.  I have the Q1 and Q2 and definitely noticed a downgraded resolution in the evf of the Q2. Very disappointed Leica didn't make evf resolution a priority especially with the Q2 being a larger format camera and so expensive.  With large prints and crops, you wanted feel certain the subject is in focus.  At first I thought it was my eye.  Things didn't seem sharp in live mode when you film subjects more than 5 feet away.  It is unsettling to not be sure something is in focus.  Combine lower resolution with a wide lens where there a small distinguishable difference between mid ground and foreground and it's just enough to be a distraction.  I hope this can be resolved with a firmware update.  

This firmware feature is already released... you can now change then resolution of the evf and everything is fine now...

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 4/14/2020 at 6:14 PM, Krusty said:

This firmware feature is already released... you can now change then resolution of the evf and everything is fine now...

How can you change the resolution of the EVF please?