leica q-p still worth buying new?

A month, a year. Is it so essential to join the Q club in less than a month? - if that is what it will take to get the Q2 . Looking at the price difference between a Q-P and leaving aside aesthetics (which are personal) and a Q2 (this might vary where you are) I would say it was a no brainer to get the Q2. I have the Q and it is certainly anything but a no brainer to contemplate the Q2 - cost/benefit. Also factor in buying the Q-P now and trade in differences in a year by which time the Q2 will not have got any cheaper

A week before the Q2 was announced, I was getting ready to make my first plunge into the Leica pool with either a Q or Q-P.  I had JUST pushed the button to order a chrome Q, when I became aware of the anticipated Q2 announcement and leaked photos.  Given the favorable specs and upgrades the Q2 was likely to offer, I immediately cancelled the order for the Q and started inquiring at various locations about a pre-order list.  To me it simply made sense to wait for the Q2 and gamble on favorable pricing, though I am equally sure I would have also been extremely happy with the Q.

The "Leica Pathos" is a powerful phenomenon, so follow your heart!  Let us all know what you decide, regardless of the reasoning!  😉

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I also contemplated getting a Q-P instead of the Q2 given the impossibility of getting a Q2 at the moment, and the falling price of a new Q-P. Having handled both in person, the Q-P has a really lovely finish, the matte black is kind of dark grey in actual appearance, and offers a superior grip in addition to looking stellar. The Q2 has the usual stock black look and finish that is customary of all first-launched Leica bodies, the right thumb wheel is harder to reach and with heavier detents, and overall I liked the handling of the Q-P better. However, the new OLED EVF was a revelation, and was leaps and bounds ahead of the Q-P's panel in both perceived resolution, sharpness, colors, and contrast.

To me getting the Q-P now is a gamble, given it's 4 years old technology at this point, and the resell / trade-in value won't be improving as time goes on. Lastly, I have a feeling I would lust for the Q2 and all of its improvements even though I enjoy the appearance and handling of the Q-P better, so I'm leaning towards waiting. A Q2-P down the line with the same matte finish treatment sans red Leica logo would be just perfection. 

Edited by prismstorm
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 10:25 AM, activeuk said:

hi is the leica q-p still worth buying in 2019 the wait for the q2  looks like well over a month would i be happy with the q-p and upgrade in a year

Wait, you’ll get one soon enough.

7 minutes ago, ricky1981 said:

For what it's worth you can buy a black Leica logo for $20 and swap out the red one in less than a minute. It won't give you the matte finish but does make the Q/Q2 less obviously a Leica.

Is it the DAG one? Is that an adhesive sticker, or an actual replacement logo that requires one to twist the original red logo part off? The red dot doesn't bother me, I just find the Q-P's finish the best of all the Q variations (and there are a lot), plus the dedicated ISO button is still more convenient than the Q2's button layout now, and I think for normal everyday photos 47MP is simply overkill, and a real burden to both hard-disk space and processing power. 

3 minutes ago, sore80 said:

Wait, you’ll get one soon enough.

It will be months before I get one. 

4 hours ago, prismstorm said:

Is it the DAG one? Is that an adhesive sticker, or an actual replacement logo that requires one to twist the original red logo part off?

It's an actual replacement, removing the original is as easy as putting your finger on it for 10-15 seconds to warm the adhesive then twisting.

On 3/18/2019 at 6:25 PM, activeuk said:

hi is the leica q-p still worth buying in 2019 the wait for the q2  looks like well over a month would i be happy with the q-p and upgrade in a year

Not everything is better in the Q2. If you really want a high pixel sensor then the Q2; if not, quality is better with Q (Q2 has no antialiasing filter).

Wait a few weeks to buy the Q-P (beautiful, and a better on/off switch as Q), as the price will still fall a little bit.

I had a very good possibility to switch Q to Q2, but I decided that for me the Q is better, despite its ugly on/off switch.

On 3/20/2019 at 3:30 PM, ricky1981 said:

It's an actual replacement, removing the original is as easy as putting your finger on it for 10-15 seconds to warm the adhesive then twisting.

I thought the original is an actual physical red button, dial that is recessed into a space on the front of the body made specifically to house it, and not a mere adhesive sticker / tape?

1 hour ago, prismstorm said:

I thought the original is an actual physical red button, dial that is recessed into a space on the front of the body made specifically to house it, and not a mere adhesive sticker / tape?

It’s just a sticker....and very easy to remove. 

I sold my very shabby Q1 a few months ago (to buy an M10), and aim to get another Q1 soon. I don’t want huge files, and the high ISO is marginally better on the Q1. Sean Reid indicates a 2/3 noise advantage to the Q1 between ISO 800-3200 (without down-sampling). 

Edited by Guest