My M's should come with a roll of camera tape........

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When reviewing images shot this past weekend in Sete I found on downloading to the computer that sometime / somehow during the day I'd moved the exposure compensation dial to -3, so many images just are unusable........and this was after I nearly lost the Voigtlander 21mm clip on finder after it dropped off without me noticing, ( thankfully an hour or so later it was recovered under the bistro chair where I'd lunched ).

Yes sure I would have noticed the exposure compensation if I was using the EVF, but I much prefer a clip-on OVF everytime with such WA lenses. Maybe I'd have noticed the -3 setting in the M's viewfinder if I used that for focusing, but there was no need to focus with a 21mm at f8+, so I never used the M's finder...........And I never use Foto's for chimping or review, philosophically for me there's no point to do that if you have an MD so I never caught the under-exposure until I downloaded to my Mac next day.......And if there was a better fit or a lock with the clip-on finder maybe I wouldn't have nearly been 200 bucks in the wind. But once again camera tape is the ongoing solution, now my MD looks like my other Leica's with black camera tape adornment. 

So, if you use a clip-on OVF with the M10's be careful, and carry some tape.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

47 minutes ago, petermullett said:

I found on downloading to the computer that sometime / somehow during the day I'd moved the exposure compensation dial to -3, so many images just are unusable

Does exposure comp affect the DNG files ?

21 minutes ago, duoenboge said:

or take a camera with display. 😂

What a great idea....never thought of that.

Can I do that with my regular M10 even though the Leica half-case's flap does tend to cover the screen?

21 minutes ago, marknorton said:

Maybe you're dicovering that there is some benefit to being able to review your images as you take them. To each his own, but I find the M-D a ridiculous proposition, especially given its elevated price. 

All M's, Leica's, suffer from what's considered to be "elevated" prices. Always have done, but they are still around and so far yet to have priced themselves out of business. For me the pricing hurts sure, but having used M's for around 50 years as work and personal tools I guess I'm stuck with them.

And as for reviewing images, some refer that as "chimping", this is why I purchased an MD. I love the simplicity of this camera. This is the first "blip" I've had with it's usage and I'm now aware of it and it'll not happen again.....fingers crossed.

5 minutes ago, ianman said:

Does exposure comp affect the DNG files ?

Hi ianman, yes it seems to, especially at -3.......Couldn't really recover them well enough, too far gone. Many were shot in a dark place too, a cinema, that certainly didn't help any!

I think it's good practice to check your camera settings every now and then whilst shooting because these kind of things happen. Just a quick glance now and then. 

As for the hot shoe, you can tweak that by pulling the 'springs' up a little with a small screwdriver apparently. 

3 hours ago, wattsy said:

I don't think you are going to garner a great deal of sympathy. Maybe set your exposure manually in future?

I wasn't going for sympathy wattsy, just passing onto others here the experience and hoping it helps them............

4 hours ago, wattsy said:

Maybe set your exposure manually in future?

I wonder, does the Exposure Compensation works in manual mode - that is to say, does it affect the metering information? I must admit that the concept of using a digital camera with no display on (aperture priority) automatic seems to be inherently odd to me. I cannot remember the last time I used A on my Ms.  

14 minutes ago, robert blu said:

Sorry for your lost pictures, accidents and mistakes happen. Isn't experience a sum of mistakes? 

At least black tape is not too expensive...

robert

Thanks Robert, as you say it's all "a sum of mistakes", and we learn something everyday. The pictures were not that important, it wasn't a paying job and I'd not use the MD on such anyway, the MD is really just a camera for personal imaging and mistakes that can be tolerated too, obviously. Not all photographs were lost just the last few hours of being there, the exposure compensation dial got moved somehow as I was walking around, now I'll continue with using the tape, it seems to be on all of my cameras anyway, still and cine, one simple solution that's worked fine for me for many years.

Nobody's asked, so I will.  Why did you half-cover the exposure comp dial with black tape, covering the area where it went to -3?  I use the M10-D in A mode, and have found it quite reliable, perhaps giving better exposure readings than the M10 does.  I like to use a 24 Elmarit-asph, with either the VF20 or a Zeiss 25 mm optical finder.

I sympathize with your trouble and I count myself as a well esperienced (in the sense of Robert Blu!) photographer. But I hope that your pictures are not lost. DNG can withstand a lot of injuries.. Below a recent example of some rescue (neither the shot of the year neither a photo price...).

Anyway, a black tape is allways usefull..😉     

Note: I'm using a M10-D too !!!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by papimuzo
small add
  • Thanks 1

Hi Petermullett, I believe the OVF will have a flashing red dot to remind you that you have adjusted your compensation dial when you are in Aperture priority mode.  I would say be on the look out for that. Or as someone else suggested, go full manual to prevent the issue going forward.

38 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

Nobody's asked, so I will.  Why did you half-cover the exposure comp dial with black tape, covering the area where it went to -3?  I use the M10-D in A mode, and have found it quite reliable, perhaps giving better exposure readings than the M10 does.  I like to use a 24 Elmarit-asph, with either the VF20 or a Zeiss 25 mm optical finder.

I think the idea is to keep it from moving in the future.

I didn't realize that its so easily moved. I thought it was a "push to turn" mechanism.

There was a similar thread about finders falling out of the shoe on the camera (early screw models do not have a spring to hold them in.)

My suggestion, that I use, is a small piece of paper to tighten up the fit of the finder. Doesn’t matter if you loose it when you take the finder off, there are lots of other little bits of paper in the world to replace it.

• Like 1