Lumiere Lumicolor in 35mm format

I have, on occasion, removed all colour from a digital photo and have then 'painted' the colour back into selected areas using Silver Efex. It is not something that I would use very often, but it can give an effect just like early painted colour postcards. An effect to be used only where it might work. I suppose this is both subtractive and additive. This is all about personal taste, of course.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

William

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The world's premiere collection of Autochrome photographs is at the Albert Kahn museum in Boulogne-Billancourt (The western suburbs of Paris). This museum sadly seems to have become increasingly difficult to visit, with eccentric and irregular opening times. I tried to make a second visit to it around 2 years ago (my first visit was quite short as I had time limitations) during their stated open hours only to find it closed. I asked in a nearby café and was told that visitors frequently complain that they have arrived only to find the museum shut. http://albert-kahn.hauts-de-seine.net  It may be that visits can now only be made by arrangement

Wilson

On 3/28/2019 at 10:41 AM, willeica said:

I have, on occasion, removed all colour from a digital photo and have then 'painted' the colour back into selected areas using Silver Efex. It is not something that I would use very often, but it can give an effect just like early painted colour postcards. An effect to be used only where it might work. I suppose this is both subtractive and additive. This is all about personal taste, of course.

William

Hello William,

Nice photos.

Some of the early photos were colored by watercolorists. Some others were done with pastels.

Best regards,

Michael

• 2 years later...
On 4/9/2019 at 10:52 AM, wlaidlaw said:

The world's premiere collection of Autochrome photographs is at the Albert Kahn museum in Boulogne-Billancourt (The western suburbs of Paris). This museum sadly seems to have become increasingly difficult to visit, with eccentric and irregular opening times. I tried to make a second visit to it around 2 years ago (my first visit was quite short as I had time limitations) during their stated open hours only to find it closed. I asked in a nearby café and was told that visitors frequently complain that they have arrived only to find the museum shut. http://albert-kahn.hauts-de-seine.net  It may be that visits can now only be made by arrangement

Wilson

I was last there in 2016. The museum itself was closed for major renovation but the garden was open. I was able to buy a  "The Lumière Autochrome - History, Technology, and Preservation" book.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I fear due to financial considerations, the museum may now be shut for the foreseeable future. I hope I am wrong but I can see the whole collection being transferred down to the main French photographic museum in Chalon-sur-Saone https://en.museeniepce.com . I used to know this museum quite well as the first house I had in France was not far away. Over the years this museum has like so many museums, become more orientated to catering to parties of bored schoolchildren rather than enthusiastic photographers and has gone all "trendy". If they are gifted the Kahn collection, I would suspect they will put one or two images on view in a glass cabinet and tuck all the rest away in some industrial warehouse. There in theory, they would be available for serious researchers but in practice, the curators in museums seem to regard any objects in the museum's keeping, to be their personal property and the grubby public should be kept well away from them at all costs. There have been a number of discussions in the British Photographic History Society about uncooperative, possessive and obstructive museum curators, unless of course you are from the BBC, at which point they will faun all over that person. 

Wilson

24 minutes ago, wlaidlaw said:

Over the years this museum has like so many museums, become more orientated to catering to parties of bored schoolchildren

During my 2016 visit of the Kahn museum, the garden was over-run with parties of school children - most of them apparently at the age when the standard mode of communication is a yell or scream. There were about three groups in the garden, another group entering the museum as I was leaving, and another emerging from the local metro station.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wlaidlaw said:

I would suspect they will put one or two images on view in a glass cabinet and tuck all the rest away in some industrial warehouse

The word "Museum" is a misnomer.  They are actually "Mausoleums" for the world's treasures.  The Smithsonian in the US has 0.2% of its holdings on display.  99.8% is tucked away in industrial warehouses, totally inaccessible.

• Like 1

My wife once worked in a lesser-known museum that had better go nameless. The founder had been an incorrigible collector/hoarder, and so much stuff was warehoused that she reckoned giving an item to each visitor as a gift would have a barely perceptable effect on the total.

• Like 1