ISO configuration to thumb wheel Q

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have configured exposure compensation to the thumb wheel on my Q P. In A or S mode, turning the thumb wheel gives a live preview of lightening or darkening of the screen along with the exposure compensation scale. On fully manual, the scale is there and shows movement of the bars to left or right, but there is no change in the darkness or lightness of the screen as the wheel is turned. I believe this is the normal working of the camera and cannot be changed. Is this so? If it is, then, as an alternative, can changes to ISO be configured to the thumb wheel. I fear not.

Also, using exposure compensation in A and S mode, brings up the exposure scale but causes the histogram to disappear. It seems illogical not being able to monitor the histogram while adjusting exposure compensation.Any thoughts?

It took me a while to figure this out with my Q. The setting you describe is the best when using studio strobes because the camera cannot know that you are going to use an artificial light source. If you want the exposure to show in manual mode set Exposure Preview to P-A-S-M instead of P-A-S. Quite agree about loss of histogram - pain in the posterior.

29 minutes ago, jwillyf said:

HighlandK,

Thanks for the response. Exposure preview is set to P-A-S-M but no live change in exposure showing in manual mode when  rotating the thumb wheel set to exposure compensation.

Well, manual mode is, eh, manual. Exposure compensation could theoretically adjust AUTO ISO, if that's selected. In manual mode shutter speed and aperture are selected manually.  

My mistake. I meant exposure preview not compensation. Not sure why exposure compensation would need to work in manual mode because you are choosing which speed and which aperture to use. Changing one or other of those provides 'compensation'. The important thing then is exposure preview and also the lines at the bottom show the extent you would be under or over exposed. I have customise control thumb wheel set to Auto but not sure what the other settings do!. If you hold in the ISO button the thumb wheel changes ISO.

Thanks for the replies which have clarified my understanding. Yes, of course, changes to aperture or shutter speed will effect an exposure compensation. I guess I was used to using compensation in the past on semi-automatic modes, and went to it without thinking more deeply.

• Like 1

Just thinking a little further...

In manual mode with a fixed, say, f1.7 aperture, changing shutter speed gives a minimum of 1 stop increments of change whereas in shutter priority mode using exposure compensation allows changes in 1/3 stop increments?

Can't say about the Q/Q2 as I am waiting for mine to arrive.  I can say that exposure compensation on Pro Nikon's when set to Manual and Auto-ISO does work by adjusting the ISO as set by the exposure compensation.  This is a great feature as I often like to set my Aperture and Shutter Speed and then let the ISO float.  Then allow exposure compensation to adjust the ISO as necessary - works great!