Focusing M lenses on CL body

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Focus peaking is an aid which I normally don't (need to) use. Magnification is far more accurate, the EVF is good enough.

When using focus peaking, remind yourself that it mimics DOF. The peaked areas are acceptably sharp, but the plane of focus will be somewhere halfway.

On 3/16/2019 at 7:05 AM, faxao said:

It is now almost two weeks that I am shooting with the my second hand CL body and some of my M lenses (Zeiss Biogon 25, Cron 35 ASPH and Lux 50 1.4) that I generally use on my M10.

Wanted to ask here whether is it my impression or it is really more difficult to nail the right focus with the CL as opposed to the "traditional" RF patch on the M10 ? The EVF magnification/focus peaking procedure seems to me less fast and efficient compared to the OVF patch alignement of the M bodies.

I do not own any TL autofocus lenses so far and I am currently in the market for a (gently) used TL 23mm to test the Leica AF experience on the CL body.

Thanks

(bolded) Given that I've been working with manual focus RF and SLR cameras since the late 1960s, and with EVF cameras since they started to surface with decent viewfinders about 2008, I'd have to say, "No, not at all." Focusing a TTL camera, whether reflex or EVF, is different from focusing an RF camera, that's all, and what you're most accustomed to is always easier to use until you develop the skills for the other type(s). 

The CL's viewfinder is excellent quality and focusing with it is a pleasure, just like the M-D's viewfinder is excellent quality and focusing with it is also a pleasure. RFs have a narrower range of  accuracy (both focusing and framing), of course, and many limitations compared to any TTL viewfinder arrangement. Of course, the biggest focusing limitation of any TTL camera has to do with the lens you're using and how well it images at the aperture setting you're using... 

With respect to peaking and magnification: Focus magnification is very useful for critical focus and puts the EVF way on top when it comes to focusing accuracy over any SLR or RF. That said, I find I don't need it a good bit of the time if I'm working at reasonably large lens openings (f/1.4 to f/5.6) and with lenses from 35mm on up. For wide lenses, I use it all the time. Peaking is very useful in certain circumstances to 'rough in' a focus setting quickly but you should always check the focus with magnification if you're looking for absolutely accurate focus. 

RF focusing works best with wide to normal focal lengths and has many fallibilities with respect to accurate framing and focus accuracy. When you understand what your camera's RF is saying, you can nail focus quickly and accurately. But I can focus a CL much faster, most of the time, than I've ever been able to do with any RF camera. 

On 4/23/2019 at 4:29 PM, jaapv said:

Focus peaking is an aid which I normally don't (need to) use. Magnification is far more accurate, the EVF is good enough.

When using focus peaking, remind yourself that it mimics DOF. The peaked areas are acceptably sharp, but the plane of focus will be somewhere halfway.

I have an M240 and a CL. I had the TL2 until a week ago. My experience with M lens focusing is as follows. With the M240, RF focusing using a magnifier lens on the viewfinder window is a must. Using the EVF and focus peaking is a little more consistent  even though the focus peaking is just visible. Focusing M lenses with the TL2 is difficult unless you attach the Visoflex EVF with the focus peaking much more visible than on the M240. The CL is a whole new experience with its incredibly bright hi res EVF and the focus peaking really stands out, making M lens focusing a real pleasure and nailing it every time.

As for Jaap's comment, I salute your obviously younger eyesight. At my age, nailing the optical RF focusing is rather inconsistent and the improvement in EVF has been a real lifesaver, or in this case a shot saver. ☺️

This lens, the 85/f1.5 Summarex is about the ultimate MF challenge on a CL. Not only does it have a shallower DOF than an 0.95 Noctilux but it about the same as the new 75/1.25 Noctilux. It is also very heavy. It has slightly odd bokeh, almost the doughnuts of my MR-Telyt-R 500mm mirror lens and nothing like as nice as my 50mm/f1.5 Summarit, which has lovely swirly bokeh, similar to a series 1 50/1.2 Noctilux and for the same reason (spherical aberration). The wild iris-lilies in my garden in France are more prolific this year than I have ever seen them. The whole garden is a mixture of purple and white. 

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5