Sign in to follow this  
JimBo

Q2 4k video bit rate

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does anyone know the 4k recording bit rate? I’m hoping it’s over 100mbps. Can’t find anything in the specs.... thx!

Edited by JimBo
typo

2 hours ago, willteeyang said:

Also just note, theres no manual exposure control in video mode. 

What do you mean with this? I assume you can control aperture, and/or ISO? 

Edited by jip

13 hours ago, jip said:

What do you mean with this? I assume you can control aperture, and/or ISO? 

You will see exposure shifts and the aperture will jump all over the place regardless of what f stop you set on the lens.

On 3/17/2019 at 12:46 AM, willteeyang said:

You will see exposure shifts and the aperture will jump all over the place regardless of what f stop you set on the lens.

This is terrible! I saw the rant about no manual control in video on the luminous landscape Q2 review but didn't assume they went so far as Auto-Aperture. That's insane.

It's especially disappointing since they did implement DCI 4K on Q2 and from what I've seen so far the image quality is actually really nice.

Here's hoping that a firmware upgrade will allow at the very least manual aperture & shutter speed control.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/18/2019 at 1:53 PM, MisterMagoo said:

...& shutter speed control.

How do you want to do shutter speed control... when you have a fixed FPS/Hz. 

You can't shoot at 1/45 if you want 60fps... etc. shutter speed should always be exactly you FPS. 

The things you don want to be able to control however are aperture and ISO. 

4 hours ago, jip said:

How do you want to do shutter speed control... when you have a fixed FPS/Hz. 

You can't shoot at 1/45 if you want 60fps... etc. shutter speed should always be exactly you FPS. 

The things you don want to be able to control however are aperture and ISO. 

You are mistaken. In film/video shutter speed should actually be double your frame rate in order to follow 180 shutter angle rule ( How Shutter Speed Affects Video ).

You can absolutely go higher or lower than your FPS depending on what motion cadence you desire but it's always important to stay within shutter angle rules.

The problem with Q2's video mode is that shutter speed jumps all over the place as if it were in S/TV priority mode with of course no regard to shutter angle rules.

This creates chaotic motion cadence. If you add to that variable auto-aperture & auto-ISO, video mode on Q2 basically becomes unusable for serious work.

Edited by MisterMagoo

On 3/20/2019 at 5:33 AM, MisterMagoo said:

If you add to that variable auto-aperture & auto-ISO, video mode on Q2 basically becomes unusable for serious work.

Unfortunately you are correct, as its confirmed on page 59 of the user manual:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By sebas_
      Hello, 
      I am experiencing an image error while video-recording in full frame mode. 
      It is not that easy to see, but I get a bluish-white line on the bottom of the video frame. It is there in full-frame mode but goes away when I switch to APSC. I have just installed Firmware 2 and it is still there. 
      Does any of you have the same issues? Just wanting to check, if I got a bad copy or it's a more common problem. 
      Thanks! 

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By Lollo
      Hello Leica friends,
      I wanted to bring to your attentions some issues I’m having with the Leica SL2.. 
      I have bought this camera mainly for Video shooting as I use M10P and M6 for photos. 
      I loved using my M lenses on the SL system and when the SL2 was finally announced I thought it was time to get one. I tested every shooting mode and I have to say that the camera has received some big improvements compared to the previous 601. The Ibis is very accurate and in HLG mode the dinamic range is quite impressive. Didn’t like the LLog though, very noisy and difficult to handle. And the internal 4K 60fps is just useless for aliasing and moire (you must use an external recorder if you want to get a decent file, when the Panasonic S1H is very clean in the same mode).
      I also use for my work Alexa Mini LF and smaller bodies such as the Z-Cam F6, this last camera has a nice M mount with positive lock which enables me to use all my Leica M lenses. 
      So why I got a SL2? The main reason is to be able to carry it everywhere, in a small backpack with a couple of lenses, other than on set for work. Now, the files produced by this camera should be H265(?).. but the files won’t play in my machines. The finder doesn’t show any preview, QuickTime doesn’t read them. VLC plays only the first 3 frames (18cores IMac Pro).. imagine you shoot 300 clips and you need to conform them every time to Prores in order to just see what you have shot. I remember I bought my SL2 in Shanghai the day it came out and after 2 days shooting around I just switched to my small Zcam as I had to open at every import FCPX or Premiere and create a project just to watch my daily footage and after delete it.
      So my question: having a playable file out of camera (internal recording) is Asking too much? 
      Another big limitation is the focus magnifier that doesn’t work while recording. With an Atomos Ninja V the resolution helps but as I said.. why I can’t enjoy this camera as it is? 
      I’ve also got multiples hot pixels, partially removed by the internal NR.. but still present.
      Last, a few times I’ve used an L mount lens... the camera can’t handle video recording for more than 10 min with a fully charged battery. 

I won’t give up with this camera as I strongly believe a new firmware will fix these problems.
      what do you guys think? 
    • By M8range
      Video Mode question: (Leica SL)
      Does anyone know how to set the 'shutter speed' to slower than the 'fps rate' in video mode to create 'shutter/motion blur effects' in camera?
      It seems to only go as low as the fps rate no matter what I try, perhaps someone has a work-around or tip?
      Thanks in advance!
    • By NRKstudio
      Hate to say the SL2 video capabilities are seriously flawed at 4K recording and C4K.  See the picture below.  The main issues I ran into during a full day of video use (With the 50 APO SL and 35/1.2 Art):
      1.  4K recording can only occur for 5 minutes or less on a full battery before error message “battery level too low for 4K recording”.  (Changed batteries and encountered same issue so it’s not the battery)
      2.  C4K recording restricts AF usage, limited to only manual focus with the Sigma 35/1.2. 
      3. All AF capabilities during recording are very slow to focus, unable to switch faces during face/body detection (in the rare case it captures a face), the AF box may at times capture 2-3 bodies and choose to “average” the focus distance.  
      4.  No compressed 4K recording at 50mbps or less.  
      5.  Video Focus peaking’s highlighted/colored areas do not match still focus peaking highlighted areas.  
      6.  No way to magnify the video during capture to check focus.  

Unfortunately the error message for battery doesn’t show up until 30 seconds after you hit record video.  So it ruined a nice Xmas morning moment with the family, when I set up the tripod, hit record, then joined the wife/baby.  5 minutes later, I check the camera and only 30 seconds or less were recorded and the moment gone.  Last year my A7r3 recorded 4K full width of sensor till the battery went to 0%.  AF easily moved from eye to eye of subjects, focus peaking was accurate and easily seen, and it held tons of video in a UHS-1 SD Card.  

For a camera that touts it video recording, my iPhone did better (actually much better), and then I had to grab my xpro3 for the rest of the day.  

how did Leica release a camera with such terrible firmware?? ASIDE from video, just off the top of my head, I recall: terrible accuracy and reliability issues with AF-c tracking, complete lack of eye-AF all together, blurry EVF view in magnified mode for AF-s and manual focus, no AF-s abilities at all while in magnified live view,  terrible reliability with tethering (can’t tether to an iPad with two SD cards in the camera due to a firmware bug),  nonlinear focusing in manual focus on the Summicron SL lenses.  That’s all I encountered, im sure there’s more to report.  I haven’t encountered a small percentage of such obvious firmware issues with the xpro3, a7r3, A7r4, Nikon z7, or gfx50r.  

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By PaulJS
      I’m curious what settings you all use for video on the Q2, 4K 30 FPS or 4K 24 FPS Cinematic and what video style?