Q2 “Touch AF + Release” missing?

21 minutes ago, Pentium said:

Agreed, very disappointed this is missing - but feeling that his may be related to the Fotos app given the supposed ease of Bluetooth connectivity which hopefully has this touch and release function.

I very rarely use "Touch AF + Release", but I cannot see how the Fotos app can help here if you are shooting handheld.

It´s like all companies .... they just fast provide products which will be later fixed with new firmware. 

Customer will be a beta tester and if there are enough customers how to write feedback they "maybe" react to it.

It´s all about being fast on the market, making more money... nobody cares about the customer!

10 minutes ago, TrickyMrT said:

It´s like all companies .... they just fast provide products which will be later fixed with new firmware. 

Customer will be a beta tester and if there are enough customers how to write feedback they "maybe" react to it.

It´s all about being fast on the market, making more money... nobody cares about the customer!

There is some truth to what you say,  but Leica has been pretty responsive to the Q owners feedback and gripes posted on this forum. Weather sealing was a big frustration and is now fixed. The Off/Single/Continuous switch is now fixed. Many of us wanted the video button gone and that’s done. A bigger battery is a big improvement. I could go on, but the point is Leica has been pretty responsive. Having personally led a large R&D organization and been a manufacturing manager, its a balancing act introducing complex products in a timely manner. You don’t want customers to be your beta testers, but inevitably they do find defects that never showed up in internal “abuse” testing. I expect Leica will drop a Q2 software update within 2-3 months of intro and fix the defects. Do I want perfection, yes. Am I willing to wait another month or year to achieve that, no. IMHO. 

• Like 2

IQ2 you are right.

But if I purchase a high-end product like a Leica Q, I just expect nothing else than the best.

Well, let's see and wait for what is coming up next time.

By the way, I got already feedback by Leica Germany, that there are many customers how to like to see this feature back.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 minute ago, TrickyMrT said:

IQ2 you are right.

But if I purchase a high-end product like a Leica Q, I just expect nothing else than the best.

Well, let's see and wait for what is coming up next time.

By the way, I got already feedback by Leica Germany, that there are many customers how to like to see this feature back.

One thing for sure is we pay a premium price for any Leica product. That alone demands that Leica provide a higher level of design and quality otherwise we can choose from numerous other brands with similar technical capabilities. I remain optimistic that Leica will respond with “fixes” within a few months. 

• Like 1

Hello all, leica lot of people (sorry bad pun intended) here, I’m awaiting my Q2 and first ever Leica camera and am patiently awaiting that ever-so-lovely shipping email. Until then, I’m browsing the forums to learn some stuff in advance. I too am not pleased that this function was not included with this iteration! My kids always loved taking photos this way with my Canon 5D Mark IV (with me holding it of course). I found it quite useful in many random instances and was looking forward to it here. I will also email them to add another unified voice requesting this be included in firmware update! Thanks!

• 1 year later...

June 2020, and Leica STILL has not updated Q2 firmware with Q1's touch and release?!  This feature was never anything but software coding in the onboard programming.  It was very strange that the coding didn't simply migrate over to Q2.  I almost never use the EV because Q1 has excellent touch and release accuracy, speed, and low risk of camera shake.  It's almost heat sensitive to the fingertip.  Really a nutty omission from Q2

Edited by Mark Lyka

On 6/12/2020 at 8:24 AM, Leica Guy said:

I plead confusion. I have AF Touch + Release on my Q2. Version 2.0. It works like my Q did. 

Thanks for pointing this out.  I updated the firmware and overlook the fact that it is there.   Something new to experiment with.  I specially like the suggestion of using this when handing the camera over for someone to take a picture of my or my family.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello people,

Can somebody explain me where to find the AF Touch + Release function? 
I've spent the last hours trying to make it work but it doesn't. The screen touch works well, but not the "AF Touch + Release". Am I missing something ? 

It’s under the Focusing menu as a Touch AF selection. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

13 hours ago, Ryan_M said:

Thank you really much Guy !
This option is already activated on my camera, but when I touch and release on the screen it doesn't change anything.. 

Ryan,

Well that’s puzzling. I’d probably set all settings to A. Aperture, shutter speed, ISO. Then I’d try touch + release. If that doesn’t work I’d do a reset of the camera. That almost certainly should work. Does the touch screen operate to change the Q menu? If all else fails I’d go to a Leica store if that’s possible. Or call Leica service. 

On 6/25/2020 at 3:30 PM, Ryan_M said:

Thank you really much Guy !
This option is already activated on my camera, but when I touch and release on the screen it doesn't change anything.. 

Make sure you are not in “Manual” focus mode. I.e. the focus ring on the lens is turned all the way to the stopper with the little tab clicking into place to lock it.

Cheers,

Delirious.

• Like 1