Q2 “Touch AF + Release” missing?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, I just received my highly anticipated Q2 and I noticed that one of my favorite features from the Q1 seems to be missing - does anyone know if the “Touch AF + Release” function is there buried in a menu somewhere that I may have missed?   For me on the Q that feature made it very easy to give the camera to anyone and have them get a perfectly in focus, easily shot picture without much fuss at all (“just touch the screen and it’ll both focus and take the picture for you” is even simpler functionality than a smartphone and I found all my non-photog friends truly loved this and it made the camera quite fun for all.).  

Has anyone heard any feedback from Leica as to whether or not they’ll be bringing this back?   Seems odd to remove features from the upgrade.   

Edited by NickTheo

36 minutes ago, stuny said:

I had no idea that my Q would do that.  thank you.

Sorry - I have no idea if the Q2 will do that.

Sincerely this one feature was one of the biggest draws of the Q for both my friends as well as every complete stranger who I ever handed the camera over to take a picture of us.  Also, for the photographer, it really is a lightning quick way to take a shot - I'm fairly disappointed that it appears to be omitted from the Q2.  

It's not in the Q2 instruction manual, where it is clearly articulated in the Q instruction manual. That says to me that it is not featured in the Q2 firmware, at present. Perhaps it's a feature that Leica can add with a firmware update. 

Although I've never used such a feature, I can see where it might prove useful. I've used this sort of feature on WiFi tethered operation with a camera and a smartphone, where it makes perfect sense since presumably the camera is either sitting on a platform or tripod when you're operating it with the app. It's a little harder to see how to hold the camera steadily enough to both tap and release in one motion when using the rear LCD, but it could be on a tripod then too. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

18 minutes ago, allanmcleodroney said:

it's a strange one -  I got a huge amount of use from the Touch AF + Release function - it's a very strange omission.

I asked the staff at the Leica DC store yesterday.  They thought the Q2 had Touch AF + Release and they tried finding it in menus.  They couldn't find it and were also puzzled by the omission.  They were going to ask Leica to know for sure.  Hopefully a firmware change later will enable it again.  

Just now, beauport said:

I asked the staff at the Leica DC store yesterday.  They thought the Q2 had Touch AF + Release and they tried finding it in menus.  They couldn't find it and were also puzzled by the omission.  They were going to ask Leica to know for sure.  Hopefully a firmware change later will enable it again.  

Perhaps they're waiting for the app to go live, in April. I certainly hope it's on the horizon.

I don't use that function (only gave it a try when my Q1 was new), but strange they'll disabled it. There are circumstances that it could be useful. And having it doesn't bother people who don't use it, it's just somewhere in the menu (even as an option in a menu that have to exist because of the other options).

I emailed Leica support about this and they confirmed that it is not there. They passed the request along to engineering. I recommend anyone who is missing this do the same.

I use this feature on the Q anytime I'm shooting from the LCD; which is a lot. It is a great way to adapt to a rapidly changing scene or a moving subject. It is also great when handing the camera to the wife. I'm hoping that this is just a temporary omission since it looks like the CL does have this feature.

• Like 1

I don't use the AF Touch + Release very often but there were occasions where I did.   Could I live without it?  Of course but I'd rather have it for the rare occasion.  For those who may want AF Touch + Release on the Q2 see the second sentence of the reply and add to those who speak out.

I emailed:  TechnicalInfo@leicacamerausa.com and I received this reply:  

Hello Andy,

I have forwarded your feedback to the Leica headquarters in Germany for review and consideration.  With more input like yours there’s a good chance a future firmware update will add the feature back in.

Best regards,
Mark Brady

Technical Advisor

Leica Camera Inc

1 Pearl Court, Unit A / Allendale, NJ 07401 / USA

4 hours ago, HPS3000 said:

The menu of the Q2 offers a „Touch AF“ option hidden under the „Focusing“ menu point.

Turning it on does not get it working though ... 

😕

"Touch AF" is a different. That allows you to focus by touching the screen, but you still need to use the shutter button to release the shutter. The “Touch AF + Release” does AF and shutter release all with a single touch of the screen.

6 hours ago, HPS3000 said:

The menu of the Q2 offers a „Touch AF“ option hidden under the „Focusing“ menu point.

😕

On my Q2 it does.
Tap anywhere on the screen moves the focus point (and focuses), double tap the screen and the focus point goes back to center.

6 hours ago, HPS3000 said:

😕

It does not work in Focus Mode "Multi-Field". Which Focus Mode were you in?

Spot, Field and Tracking works. Of course it wouldn't in Multi, the camera selects several focus points, hence you can't tap for one.
You can't select in Face Mode either.

English Manual, page 61
MULTI-FIELD METERING
Several metering fields are detected automatically.