72mm close up filter

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a Digilux 2. I would like to do some close up work. The close-up filter size is 72mm, I believe.

Two questions. a)Where can I find one which is reasonable priced (a Leica one is very expensive) and (b), does anybody know the minimum focusing distance I can achieve?

All advice will be gratefully appreciated!

Caspia, hello

Sorry, you must have the wrong forum.... this is the Leica section, where the words "Leica" and "resonably priced" are oxymoronic.... :-)

Also the reason why Leica is "very expensive" is precisely because the optics that Leica has designed are not "reasonably priced". Therefore, since they make everything from scratch, their theory, and their practice, is that if you buy Leica, it will not look like anything else. 

So if you buy a Leica and then you put Canon or Tamron or Sigma glass on it... well, then, it's no longer Leica, is it?

And I'm only half joking here. Just a little smile to go with the tears of Leica sticker shock... :-)

Hi, Caspia, the filter thread on the Digilux 2 is actually 69 mm, which is quite awkward because few companies made filters in 69 mm.

Leica produced a superb close-up screw-on filter specially for the Digilux 2 called the Elpro-D although you might have difficulty finding one because they've been rare for quite a while but if you do find one I recommend getting it.  If memory serves, Panasonic produced a similar 69 mm close-up filter for the Digilux 2's sister camera the DMC-LC1 so you might have luck that way too.

If you can't find one of the above then I think you'll need a 69 to 72 step-up ring and use a 72 mm close-up filter.

With my Elpro-D attached the Digilux 2's minimum focus distance is very short - something like 2 or 3 cm.

Pete.

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

To confirm farnz's post, the Digilux 2 takes a 69mm filter. A small adaptor ring to 72mm will give you many more options for a close-up filter. What I use, though, is the very nice 69mm filter made by Panasonic, the DMW-LC69, for their version of the Digilux. It shouldn't be hard to find.

5 hours ago, jrethorst said:

To confirm farnz's post, the Digilux 2 takes a 69mm filter. A small adaptor ring to 72mm will give you many more options for a close-up filter. What I use, though, is the very nice 69mm filter made by Panasonic, the DMW-LC69, for their version of the Digilux. It shouldn't be hard to find.

To add to this, Panasonic also released a wide-anfle screw-in adaptor, the DMW-LW69 for the DMC-LC1, its sister camera to the Digilux 2.  Beware not to mistake the the two if you find one.  As far as I recall the DMW-LW69 increases the wide angle end to 23 mm although I don't recall seeing any glowing reports about it as a photographic tool.

Pete.