Safe storing lens' against fungus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What is the best way to store lens' to avoid fungus?

i) In a sealed plastic box with silica gel?
ii) In a cardboard box where the air can circulate?
iii) In a daylight area?

The area in question is not damp and does not suffer any extreme of temperature just a normal UK house environment.

I am asking because a previous lens from another top quality lens brand ( 70-300 zoom bought from new) was left in my camera bag and fungus started to appear, it was never used in the rain and was stored at normal room temperature sad.gif 
Thanks

Edited by stvn66

I have been told that traditional leather cases are bad as they are a natural material that can harbour unwanted bugs. Plastic boxes with silica gell bags is probably best.

Leaving lenses with the lenscap on for long periods can trap stale air and fungus spores inside. I have a 35mm Summicron that has little spots etched into the front surface that cannot be removed, it was suggested by a lens repair expert that it looked as if someone had sneezed on the lens, then put the lenscap on and left it a long time !

Don’t store them in a cupboard up against an outside wall, in the UK.

So it seems best to keep playing with your cameras and lenses, work the shutters, let the air circulate around the lenses, keep using them. On the other hand I am told that fungus spores are everywhere in the air, so how do you avoid them?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The first rule is, keep your equipment, especially lens surfaces clean - avoid traces of any organic material as sweat, saliva, food and beverage residues.  The storage condition depends on where you live, a dry, moderate climate will not require special care, if you happen to live in warm and humid area, a sealed box with silica gel packs works best.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My new lens storage box, to be kept in bright area away from sunlight.

Thank you for all the good tips :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On 3/17/2019 at 10:07 AM, LeicaFan1 said:

Electronic dry cabinet is the best bet

With or without the lens cap?

I have it with the lens cap but after reading this thread, not so sure anymore. But it does feel like micro managing.

3 hours ago, TG14 said:

With or without the lens cap?

I have it with the lens cap but after reading this thread, not so sure anymore. But it does feel like micro managing.

I am told that light is bad for fungus, therefore I store without the front cap, with the rear cap.

Dry cabinet is sure thing, because it is easy to forget about recycling silica gel.

On 3/16/2019 at 12:27 PM, stvn66 said:

My new lens storage box, to be kept in bright area away from sunlight.

Thank you for all the good tips :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

But UV light kills fungus, so storing them away from sunlight is the worst thing you could do. 

Fungus spores are in the air all around you, you already have them on the outside and the inside of your lens. Just create a place they don't like to grow, of the top of my head using the lens is the very best idea. For long term storage ignore the Leica leather cases that come with new lenses, put some silica gell near them, and have them in an airy place with some light.

• 2 weeks later...