thighslapper

Panasonic/Sigma L-mount cameras + Leica Lens Image Thread

Posted (edited)

I've  just returned from a week in northern Botswana, first time in the field with the S1R. I took only 2 lenses, Leica VE SL 24-90mm & Leica VE SL 90-280mm. Overall very pleased, other than some irritating auto focus issues which I've mentioned in the thread on Manual Focus.

Lilac Breasted Roller on a termite mound at Selinda N. Botswana.  

Lumix S1R & Leica VE SL 90-280mm

Edited by michali

3 hours ago, michali said:

I've  just returned from a week in northern Botswana, first time in the field with the S1R. I took only 2 lenses, Leica VE SL 24-90mm & Leica VE SL 90-280mm. Overall very pleased, other than some irritating auto focus issues which I've mentioned in the thread on Manual Focus.

Lilac Breasted Roller on a termite mound at Selinda N. Botswana.  

Lumix S1R & Leica VE SL 90-280mm

Great shot of a beautiful little bird. I would like to go back to South Africa, and this time strictly for the birds. Hopefully, with a long lens from the L Alliance. 

5 hours ago, relms said:

Great shot of a beautiful little bird. I would like to go back to South Africa, and this time strictly for the birds. Hopefully, with a long lens from the L Alliance. 

Thanks Robert. As expected, I did find the 280mm on the short side for birding, I'm looking forward to Leica releasing a tele converter at some point.

S1R + Canon 500MM f4 + Sigma MC-21 Adapter

Autofocus is fair with this setup, but unfortunately sans tracking.  I am happy that I kept my old trusty Canon 1Ds Mark III to use with this lens.

Fishing for Bait

Posted (edited)

Nice shots, @michali! Yes, the 90-280 is on the short side for birds, but when you get sufficiently close, the rendering is superb. On longer distances, the oof rendering can be somewhat nervous. I have been shooting extensively with the S1R for a week or so trying to find af settings that work more often than not, but in wain so far... Otherwise a very, very fine-working body, top exposure control and an excellent sensor. Not for birds, but nevertheless: The S1R+SL75 is gorgeous and really something to write home about...

Edited by helged

vor 1 Minute schrieb helged:

I have been shooting extensively with the S1R for a week or so trying to finf af settings that work more often than not, but in wain so far...

+1. In a way, to acquire focus and track a subject is more intelligently implemented with the SL.

Posted (edited)
On 5/19/2019 at 10:37 AM, helged said:

Nice shots, @michali! Yes, the 90-280 is on the short side for birds, but when you get sufficiently close, the rendering is superb. On longer distances, the oof rendering can be somewhat nervous. I have been shooting extensively with the S1R for a week or so trying to find af settings that work more often than not, but in wain so far... Otherwise a very, very fine-working body, top exposure control and an excellent sensor. Not for birds, but nevertheless: The S1R+SL75 is gorgeous and really something to write home about...

Thank you Helged. I've been doing exactly the same during my week in Botswana; getting to know the camera.  I fully agree about camera's the ergonomics, image quality, exposure etc. AF settings aside, I'm very pleased with the camera!

I did manage to capture some birds in flight, (see my next post), although I'm still fighting with the AF settings, and trying to figure out which settings work best.... 

On the issue of the Leica SL 90-280mm being too short for birds;  while we wait for Leica to come up with a tele-converter,  I've ordered a Novoflex: Contax to Leica SL adapter for my old Carl Zeiss 300mm f2.8 APO Tessar monster, which I've used in the past with a CZ Mutar 1.4 XTele Converter with great success for birds, with manual focus. Let's see how this works out.....

You've tempted me with what you say about the 75mm, I'm starting to get interested 🤔

Best,

Mike

Edited by michali

Some of the flooding along the Ottawa River. Like the canoe ties up at the front of the house where the road is supposed to be, very Canadian!

Taken with S1R with Leica SL 24-90