pebbles

Linking camera to a computer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

now being fairly familiar with how the CL works I wish to transfer images to my computer without using a card reader. Can I use WLAN for this and if so how, please.

Why should you want to do that? A card reader is magnitudes faster and more reliable. Cheap and compact too. 

Painful those card readers indeed, reason why i keep computers with SD slots mainly. But WLAN is too slow for me so i cannot be of any help sorry.

Many cameras are losing them I guess that the makers have decided that they are a space-wasting redundancy. WiFi to a tablet or phone,  card reader or slot to a laptop or PC. Design decisions   I fear. 

Posted (edited)

Right now I am using a Kingston card reader which is very good, have several others in drawers that aren't good. Mostly use it with the compact flash cards from my Nikon. My laptop has an SD reader. My last desktop also had a reader which i may pull off it before it goes to recycling. Other than some cheap not very good readers I have always taken out my card to read them. Tried WLan with the CL and it was painfully slow.

Edited by tommonego@gmail.com

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, pebbles said:

now being fairly familiar with how the CL works I wish to transfer images to my computer without using a card reader. Can I use WLAN for this and if so how, please.

There is no way to do that, unless you WiFi files via Leica FOTOs app to a smartphone or tablet first, then WiFi it from there to your computer. It's a slow and painful process; you're far better off pulling the card and using a card reader. 

My mid-2012 Mac mini has a very good SD/SDHC/SDXC card reader built in, with transfer speeds that are at least as good as my USB-3 Sandisk and Lexar PRO card readers. Comparing its transfer speed performance to a transfer from Leica CL to iPad Pro 11-inch (latest model) via WiFi is almost silly different: it's more than 10,000% faster. 

When I upgrade to the latest Mac mini, I'll need a new external USB-C CF/SD card reader for best speed. 

Edited by ramarren

I got to agree with everyone here. Being a luddite who is a firm believer in the theory that less is  more, I go for the simple solution of removing the memory card and using a card reader. Too many times I have had to fiddle with wifi or blue tooth settings between devices because one decided to stop talking with the other. I much prefer the mechanical link of having a card reader attached directly to my iMac

46 minutes ago, JayBird said:

I got to agree with everyone here. Being a luddite who is a firm believer in the theory that less is  more, I go for the simple solution of removing the memory card and using a card reader. Too many times I have had to fiddle with wifi or blue tooth settings between devices because one decided to stop talking with the other. I much prefer the mechanical link of having a card reader attached directly to my iMac

Do you not wish Leica still included a USB port on their cameras as they did with the M9?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, pico said:

Do you not wish Leica still included a USB port on their cameras as they did with the M9?

Leica’s all over the place.  SL has the old micro USB (file transfer, no charging), TL has USB-C with transfer and charging, CL has no USB, nor does the M10.  At least the M10 has Mark II’s WiFi file transfer APP - that works really well!

My 2014(?) iMac has an SD slot, my Mac Pro doesn’t nor does my MacBook Pro.  So, I now have two SD card readers - one USB old style and one USB-C. It seems SD card readers are not so easy to get ...

Edited by IkarusJohn

Posted (edited)

I hope the hidden port on the M10 suggests expansion for more features.

Edited by pico

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, IkarusJohn said:

Isn’t that just for diagnostics?

It could be for many things in an extended bottom for USB, additional battery, more powerful WiFii, blue tooth, and more.

Edited by pico

15 hours ago, pico said:

It does not bother me either way. I find it just as easy to remove a SD card as to attach a separate cable to the computer.

16 hours ago, pico said:

I never even checked whether there was an interface behind the flap. 

I'm about to 'upgrade' my ageing MacBook Air to a MacBook Pro and that means no more built in SD Reader, so I'd really like wireless transfer from my TL2 (and my Canon for that matter) to my MacBook. Since they can both join my home wifi network I don't understand what's so difficult (not that I know anything about the black art of networking...)

And for those who would advocate a Windows Laptop, I happily use Windows PCs at work and would be open to making the switch - I'm an ex-apple fanboy. I drove to PC world yesterday with every intention of buying a Lenovo X1 Extreme or possibly ASUS UX533. Needless to say PC World had neither in stock but I had a good poke around a few alternatives and was genuinely shocked at the crappy build quality and really, really bad trackpads. Also, most of the screens are dull and lifeless when compared to the MacBooks although I've no problem with FHD in terms of resolution. Even willing to fork out £2000+ MacBooks are in a different class. And I'm really disappointed to have come to that conclusion.

Anyway - does anyone know how to simply and directly transfer from camera to Mac by WiFi or Bluetooth (or FM radio if that works)?

Alternately, does anyone connect their TL2 or CL via double-ended USB-C to a MacBook for image transfer?

Cheers,

On 3/16/2019 at 2:07 PM, pico said:

On 3/16/2019 at 3:37 PM, IkarusJohn said:

Leica’s all over the place.  SL has the old micro USB (file transfer, no charging), TL has USB-C with transfer and charging, CL has no USB, nor does the M10.  At least the M10 has Mark II’s WiFi file transfer APP - that works really well!

My 2014(?) iMac has an SD slot, my Mac Pro doesn’t nor does my MacBook Pro.  So, I now have two SD card readers - one USB old style and one USB-C. It seems SD card readers are not so easy to get ...

I never used it the USB port on the M9 when I had that. Nor on any other of my cameras excepting the Olympus models (they only do updates managed by their updater apps) and the Light L16 (which has no removable cards or batteries, everything happens through the USB--C port or WiFi). So no, I don't miss it at all. 

The only port I miss on the CL is a wired remote port. I really don't like the fact that the only way I can release the shutter remotely requires WiFi and an app on my phone. 

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Volbeat said:

I'm about to 'upgrade' my ageing MacBook Air to a MacBook Pro and that means no more built in SD Reader, so I'd really like wireless transfer from my TL2 (and my Canon for that matter) to my MacBook. Since they can both join my home wifi network I don't understand what's so difficult (not that I know anything about the black art of networking...)

Anyway - does anyone know how to simply and directly transfer from camera to Mac by WiFi or Bluetooth (or FM radio if that works)?

Alternately, does anyone connect their TL2 or CL via double-ended USB-C to a MacBook for image transfer?

I can't say much about the TL2 since I don't have one and have never used one, but I don't know of any app whatever that can move photos via WiFi or Bluetooth directly between the CL and a Mac. There was one for a short time but last I tried it, it failed immediately and would not restart. Leica's FOTOs app can move files from CL to iOS devices fairly reliably, if slowly (yes, they haven't quite mastered the black art of networking large image files either...) and you can then AirDrop them to macOS very speedily. But it's cumbersome. 

There are no USB or USB-C ports on a Leica CL, so that option simply does not exist. I don't think there's any on the TL2 either. 

This SanDisk Extreme Pro SD Card USB Type-C Reader should do the job just fine and isn't particularly expensive or cumbersome to carry. Apple makes a similar product for SD card to USB-C use on the latest iPad Pro models, and that works great. 

I have used the double ended USB-C cable arrangement with my Light L16 camera to transfer JPEG previews to the iPad Pro. Works very nicely, can move 1000 previews in less than a minute ... They're not big, but boy does it fly!

Edited by ramarren

The TL2 has a USB port - I don't use it so don't know what flavour it is. Given a choice I'd rather carry a small card reader than a tangled cable.