fair price of a used old sensor M9?

andrea-i

I was going to ask something similar in a new post so I rather ask here, so not ALL M9 sensors got corrosion? I see a few M9 with sensor replaced on eBay, are those new sensors could get corrosion anyway? I am still torn between getting an M240 or an M9 (I love the look of my M8 files)

Edited by rivi1969

vor einer Stunde schrieb rivi1969:

I was going to ask something similar in a new post so I rather ask here, so not ALL M9 sensors got corrosion? I see a few M9 with sensor replaced on eBay, are those new sensors could get corrosion anyway? I am still torn between getting an M240 or an M9 (I love the look of my M8 files)

As I wrote earlier in this thread, the new sensor type was available only after summer / fall 2015, so only M9 with a replaced sensor after that date got the new sensor type. The old sensor type, even if replaced, will corrode with almost certainty at some point. The replacement costs ~ $1660.

10 hours ago, One LCF said:

As I wrote earlier in this thread, the new sensor type was available only after summer / fall 2015, so only M9 with a replaced sensor after that date got the new sensor type. The old sensor type, even if replaced, will corrode with almost certainty at some point. The replacement costs ~ $1660.

I see why many eBay sellers specify that the sensor was replaced during 2016... I wouldn't trust their word, I assume Leica can tell the actual date of replacement with the serial number.

I see why many eBay sellers specify that the sensor was replaced during 2016... I wouldn't trust their word, I assume Leica can tell the actual date of replacement with the serial number.

Leica can look up the serial number for you, I also checked used M9 that way. Also eBay sellers must take an item back if the description does not match the actual item.

Leica can look up the serial number for you, I also checked some used M9 that way before buying. Some sellers include a photo of the Leica repair bill. Also eBay sellers must take an item back if the description does not match the actual item.

Edited by One LCF
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On May 24, 2019 at 12:30 PM, rivi1969 said:

My M-E was one of the last made ones from 2015. Sensor corroded in 2017. By 2018 I have to send it for replacement because "worms" were populated. 

Your question was asked many times here. Many who replied answered - it was corroded. I'm having hard time to recall answer with "no", but they say we're some M9 non corroded original sensors.

If you have working m8 here is no reason to add m9. Files are exactly the same and crop factor is not significant.

I purchased m8 after getting of m-e, because I was always fascinated by m8. One of the best Leica cameras ever made, but I sold it because files were the same.

Edited by Ko.Fe.
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

My M-E was one of the last made ones from 2015. Sensor corroded in 2017. By 2018 I have to send it for replacement because "worms" were populated. 

Your question was asked many times here. Many who replied answered - it was corroded. I'm having hard time to recall answer with "no", but they say we're some M9 non corroded original sensors.

If you have working m8 here is no reason to add m9. Files are exactly the same and crop factor is not significant.

I purchased m8 after getting of m-e, because I was always fascinated by m8. One of the best Leica cameras ever made, but I sold it because files were the same.

You are correct, I think I will get a 28mm lens for the M8 and keep enjoying my camera which still looks and works 100% like new.

Hi, i am new to this forum. I've recently owned a 240. Got a little tired with it and made a deal with my local dealer with a X-pro2 + lenses. I still have 2 lenses from Leica (50mm summarit and a Voigtlander 75mm) and used it with the Fuji adapter. I miss the Leica and once again asked my dealer for a solution. He then told me he had a very nice M8 at display, and i considerate. Then he called me and told me that he had gotten a fine used M9 Steel gray with no signs of corrotion, but the sensor was never changed. About 10k Clicks. He would take my X-pro2 + 35mm f1.4 in for a throw switch. As we speak he has shipped the M9, for me to take a look and decide for my self. I am thinking pretty sweat deal, or am i wrong? Here in Norway used m9 are sold at least twice this price but with sensor replacement. Is there a fact that every m9 is struck? Isn't it possible that the sensor will survive, it has already come this far?

Greetings from Norway.

No, it is not e certainity that a sensor will corrode. The are quite a few out there that never had their sensors changed, I would guess the majority, but nobody knows but Leica.

If you keep in your mind that you might lose the gamble at the cost of 1500-1800 Euro, you can set that off against the price.

Another aspect is that there are quite a few users that maintain that the M9 gives the ost pleasing images of all digital Ms

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/19/2019 at 8:06 AM, JimBo said:

The Leica Store in SF has an original sensor with no corrosion M9 for $1995. If you believe that corrosion is definitely in its future, your looking at a $3800 investment in that camera.

Given what else you can get for $3800, their price seems excessive. 

I would be interested in knowing Leica’s opinion on whether or not corrosion is likely if there are no signs of it by now. Also, are there ranges of serial numbers where corrosion has not occurred, or is it across the board?

In my experience it is high humidity that causes M9 sensor corrosion. An M9 with the original sensor kept in low humidity conditions (California) should do fine indefinitely. But take it on a trip to Bali or Florida or leeward Hawaii or even leave it in the bathroom while you take a shower, and you will be looking at trouble.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2019 at 12:01 AM, Susapix said:

In my experience it is high humidity that causes M9 sensor corrosion. An M9 with the original sensor kept in low humidity conditions (California) should do fine indefinitely. But take it on a trip to Bali or Florida or leeward Hawaii or even leave it in the bathroom while you take a shower, and you will be looking at trouble.

High humidity would seem a likely cause, but my M9-P had its original sensor changed for another original type. That replacement sensor also suffered corrosion in a relatively short period of time - none of it spent in high humidity. Suspect we’ll never know fully what the problem was.

Am 27.5.2019 um 15:05 schrieb jaapv:

No, it is not e certainity that a sensor will corrode. The are quite a few out there that never had their sensors changed, I would guess the majority, but nobody knows but Leica.

As far as my local Leica repairman told me, the majority of M9 had to have their sensors changed, some even twice as the new sensor type was only available at a later point in time. In my experience there is no real price benefit if you look for an M9 with an old sensor. And there are plenty out there to choose from, I'd say 50%+ of them with a new sensor.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 15/03/2019 at 03:31, andrea-i said:

Se você acha que vale a pena comprar uma, considerando que as substituições de sensores podem ter acabado quando um M9 com um sensor substituído em 2014 mostrar sinais de corrosão, o que você acha que deveria ser um preço justo?

Acho que compraria um na marca de 800 euros, levando em consideração uma despesa futura de 1500 euros ou falha, se não houver mais sensores disponíveis após alguns anos de uso da câmera.

Ainda há uma tonelada de M9s com preços a 1800+ com sensores antigos, e sinto que oferecer aos vendedores 800 euros lhes dará um ataque cardíaco, mas não acho que essas câmeras devam ir além do que todas as coisas consideradas ( razão pela qual eu manteria meu M9, se esse fosse o caso).
Sua opinião?

leica should assume the guarantee of all these poorly made sensors, descend from the pedestal and be a company committed to its customers.

Há 17 horas, um LCF disse:

Você é afetado diretamente por um M9 de sua propriedade ou propriedade?

I have an M9 and after a few years the sensor was corroded, I sent it to the technical assistance in USA and the sensor was replaced by a similar one, in the following years it seems that the problem was solved according to the company but the second sensor also presented the same problem and now there is no guarantee

19 minutes ago, capelini61 said:

I have an M9 and after a few years the sensor was corroded, I sent it to the technical assistance in USA and the sensor was replaced by a similar one, in the following years it seems that the problem was solved according to the company but the second sensor also presented the same problem and now there is no guarantee

That’s right there is no guarantee. It expired.

vor 8 Stunden schrieb capelini61:

I agree Leica should have been offering a cost free switch to the new sensor type, even if they swapped them out earlier with the old type and the replacement did not yet show signs of corrosion.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...