Sign in to follow this  
nariza7

Reasons to stick to Q1 instead of Q2

12 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

Nice you are already well equipped. 

Do you have a big 4K or 5K display too ? 

I have a 3440x1440 34inch dell curved ultra-wide. 

Edited by dancook

Having sold my Q a few weeks ago and in the end deciding to pass on the Q2 (my dealer already had one for me) I might in time consider buying a Q again and one of the reasons not mentioned is that I prefer having the the single shot continuous lever on the on/off switch as in street shooting I could switch quickly from one to the other. Without a doubt the Q2 is a more capable camera but if (like me) you have another main camera system I think the Q is still an amazing option

Edited by viramati

49 minutes ago, dancook said:

No haven’t upgrade my system for over a year but i have an overclocked watercooled i7 6700k, Titan x pascal graphics card, 32gb ram and over 28tb of storage.

i do have 3 more bays in the NAS box which will eventually hold each 12tb hard drives, but it won’t be fault of the Q.

I also have 128gb 300mb/s cards that I use with my Sony a9, so all in all it hasn’t bothered me.

Wow that's quite a set up I'm still working with a  15" mid 2012 MacBook Pro (1tb SSD drive) and A 24" £24 LaCie Monitor!!! though I will soon be upgrading to a new laptop

1 hour ago, dancook said:

I have a 3440x1440 34inch dell curved ultra-wide. 

Ok so no 4K or 5K screen for you yet. Do you plan to upgrade in foreseeable future, for Q2 high res ? 

I guess if you:

1) don’t plan on using 50mm or 75mm crop mode,

2) don’t shoot video,

3) don’t shoot in the rain,

the Q1 is for you.

with 2nd hand market going around 3000-3200USD for a Q1, it’s a pretty good deal!

6 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

Ok so no 4K or 5K screen for you yet. Do you plan to upgrade in foreseeable future, for Q2 high res ? 

No, I don't see why it would be necessary either.

Another reason. 

Q battery in Sigma BP-51 version (exactly from the same Panasonic Energy factory) costs only 25€. But Q2/SL battery costs 135€ in France. No cheap high quality alternative at all. 

For 125€ I can get 5 Sigma batteries. Providing me 1500 extra CIPA shots, against only 370 more into the Q2 route. 

Trust me you will never need 5 batteries, but they are so cheap. And sharable with CL and other Lumix and Sigma cameras.

In the US it is even worst. A total rip off : 250$ a pop. Instead of 40$ for the Sigma BP-51

why lithium batteries are so expensive over there ? 

PS : in France, price include VAT and in the US prices are before taxes. 

Edited by nicci78

Hmm... Last October i was down to my fifth battery - the solar recharging system of the camp I was in had broken down...

16 minutes ago, willteeyang said:

I guess if you:

1) don’t plan on using 50mm or 75mm crop mode,

2) don’t shoot video,

3) don’t shoot in the rain,

the Q1 is for you.

with 2nd hand market going around 3000-3200USD for a Q1, it’s a pretty good deal!

I would be careful with rain on the Q2 as well, especially in stormy conditions. It is only protected from spray falling straight down.

I bought 4 (3+1 with camera) SL/Q2 batteries, hoping they will be enough to last me for a dawn to dusk all day street shoot in London.

It will also give me an indication if they would last me 12 hours for a wedding - personally, I would not gamble it.

Edited by dancook

I bought 4 (3+1 with camera) SL/Q2 batteries, hoping they will be enough to last me for a dawn to dusk all day street shoot in London.

It will also give me an indication if they would last me 12 hours for a wedding - personally, I would not gamble it.

I've done a 12 hour wedding with the SL and needed just 2 batteries. I had 2 more just in case..... 

Please report back your experience. I have a big trip coming up and am wondering how many batteries are enough. Thanks. 

26 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I've done a 12 hour wedding with the SL and needed just 2 batteries. I had 2 more just in case..... 

I don't think I could last 12 hours with an SL on 2 batteries,  last 12 hour wedding I went through at least 4 Sony A9 batteries and they are rated for 650 shots per battery, versus the SL rated at 400 shots per battery.

So for a relative comparison you are taking 800 shots to my 2600 

So I need 3 times the number of SL batteries as you to match my A9 usage :D

Of course numbers are not going to be right - but in relative terms it can't be far off.

24MP M 240 and M10 have compressed lossless DNG at around 25MB per DNG. 

But for a weird reason Q, CL and TL2 DNG are uncompressed at around 45MB. 

Why ?? It makes the cost of ownership of these cameras higher than 24MP Ms

46 minutes ago, dancook said:

I don't think I could last 12 hours with an SL on 2 batteries,  last 12 hour wedding I went through at least 4 Sony A9 batteries and they are rated for 650 shots per battery, versus the SL rated at 400 shots per battery.

So for a relative comparison you are taking 800 shots to my 2600 

So I need 3 times the number of SL batteries as you to match my A9 usage :D

Of course numbers are not going to be right - but in relative terms it can't be far off.

I can't remember exactly - I took over 1000, both of the wedding/reception and in my pop-up photobooth, and I might have slipped into a third battery. Not up to your 2600, but I find battery consumption is not directly related to numbers of shots. It seems to be also related to use of the LCD and any other activity that keeps the camera alive.