Sign in to follow this  
nariza7

Reasons to stick to Q1 instead of Q2

Posted (edited)

My reasons for upgrading to Q2 mainly are listed below, but I also have some reasons to stick to Q1. Anyone decided to stick to Q1 and why?

Reasons for Q2:

1. IP52 drip and dust proofing (BIG reason for me)
  2. 47mp (mainly using at 35mm 30mp, and 28mm at 47mp for landscape)
    1. I like cropping sometimes
  3. 4k 24p (for super short b roll clips now and then)
  4. Can be my one and only camera without needing to switch out for a 4k video camera for small quick clips

Reasons to stick to Q1:

1. I have 5 year accidental damage warranty (4 years left in case something happens) (I guess this is my solution to it not being weather proof)
  2. I have my favorite tekiac case along with body film on my Q for low profile look and protection (along with other accessories which make my kit complete)
  3. 24mp is good enough for me, though I wish it was at least 24mp at 35mm as I'm still getting used to 28mm

Reasons against sticking to Q1:

1. No dust/drip proofing (for when I get worried at national parks, though many seem to have had their Leica Q survive harsh weather)
    1. itll just be inconvenient if I have to get it sent in for dust on sensor cleaning if it happens.
  2. Only usable at 28mm for me since 35mm at 15mp bothers me a little (wish it was at least 24mp for future proofing)
  3. no 4k, so if I want to take video clips, ill have to put this away and take out like a smaller camera to record video. just a hassle switching back and forth

I mainly like the idea that I can use the Q2 for 47mp landscape at 28mm, 30mp for street/daily use at 35mm, 4k right away for short quick clips, and less worry from rain/humidity/dust on trips. Plus it can be my one and only camera along with a gopro 7 for daily use.

Edited by nariza7

Posted (edited)

video button of the Q is so much more convenient than screen swiping or central d-pad button toggle to launch a video recording. 

Actually Q UI is superior, with proper ISO button. 

47MP non compressed DNG, is too big. 12 DNG = 1TB

75mm is gimmicky, because frame lines are way too small. 

Edited by nicci78

Reasons I'm buying a Q2 having sold my Q:

Weather-sealing
Better high ISO (no banding)

Reasons I'd stick with a Q:

It's cheaper (especially second hand).

That's it for me, 47MP is a blessing and a curse in equal measure since you get better cropping but also gain huge files. I don't care about video so 4K is no improvement but losing the video button doesn't matter to me either.

If you want to shoot decent video then neither the Q or Q2 is a great choice, it's a stills camera that happens to have basic video support rather than a true hybrid like the A7 series or G9 or Fuji X-H1.

The need to upgrade accessories doesn't really factor in my thinking, it's an expensive camera so if you can afford it then you can very likely afford to buy the accessories too.

1. Since I don't rely on the Q for source of income, I can do without the latest.

2. $$$$

3. Had GAS years ago, quite a few Nikons and Hasselblads that I rarely use to show for it and serve as a reminder to avoid the GAS virus in the future.

4. Did I mention $$$?

5. My Q is practically new but not new enough to return as trade-up.

6. Don't really need 47MP or the extra computer power and storage for them.... I still use a D3 on occasion and sometimes film.😱

Yes, after reading all the recent posts, I would "like" to have one, but there are many things that fall into that category. $5k just to remain current with the latest, I'll have to pass.

22 minutes ago, Siriusone59 said:

1. Since I don't rely on the Q for source of income, I can do without the latest.

2. $$$$

3. Had GAS years ago, quite a few Nikons and Hasselblads that I rarely use to show for it and serve as a reminder to avoid the GAS virus in the future.

4. Did I mention $$$?

5. My Q is practically new but not new enough to return as trade-up.

6. Don't really need 47MP or the extra computer power and storage for them.... I still use a D3 on occasion and sometimes film.😱

Yes, after reading all the recent posts, I would "like" to have one, but there are many things that fall into that category. $5k just to remain current with the latest, I'll have to pass.

I recently bought the Q-P and wonder whether I have should have waited for the Q2. Siriusone59's sixth point is significant to me. Also, a point I haven't seen mentioned , is the additional weight of the Q2 over the Q: not far short of 100grams. Of course, 718g is not high compared to many DSLRs. But I am keen to keep weight as low as possible.

I have the Q2 and I can easily see why people would stick with the Q1.

Both cameras will give you the same excellent results for general 28mm full frame photography.

The Q2 adds features which are not frequently needed, and they could possibly be at the detriment to normal use if you don't really need them (file sizes)

The specs on the CLASSIC Q are excellent for what i do at the moment. Plus my Q still new! when is time to upgrade i would like move on to something different but still Leica 😀, but not a Q2. 

8 minutes ago, Hazesus said:

The specs on the CLASSIC Q are excellent for what i do at the moment. Plus my Q still new! when is time to upgrade i would like move on to something different but still Leica 😀, but not a Q2. 

I like that term "classic Q" sounds better than Q1.

While I see nothing wrong with anyone choosing the Q2, it's more that I just haven't realized the full potential of the "classic" yet.

To me, chasing after the latest model is sort of like chasing after the prettiest woman. There's always an upgrade around the corner, sometimes it's best to just be content....and at my age it would be doubtful that I'd ever get my money's worth on either.🤔

14 minutes ago, Siriusone59 said:

I like that term "classic Q" sounds better than Q1.

While I see nothing wrong with anyone choosing the Q2, it's more that I just haven't realized the full potential of the "classic" yet.

To me, chasing after the latest model is sort of like chasing after the prettiest woman. There's always an upgrade around the corner, sometimes it's best to just be content....and at my age it would be doubtful that I'd ever get my money's worth on either.🤔

A lot cheaper to trade cameras than women. Told to me by a very wealthy and wise man. 

If you are happy with Q, and it is meeting all your needs, then there is no need for you to upgrade for nearly $2300.  (selling your Q and then buying a new one.

You have to ask yourself if it is worth it to you to pay $2300 for all the things that Q2 gives you that Q does not and dont forget the warranty you would be getting with the new camera to add to the equation. 

HOWEVER, if you do not have a Q and are in the market for a NEW Q, then it makes no sense to buy the original Q.   The price difference isnt  that great to settle for the Q for all the extras you are getting with Q2.

A used Q for around $2700 is the best buy IMO.

55 minutes ago, iQ2 (formerly Infiniumguy) said:

A lot cheaper to trade cameras than women. Told to me by a very wealthy and wise man. 

Very true, however, if you trade cameras quite often then the woman may start shopping for a trade.😳

Q2

1. Much better EVF. Q1 has awful sequentional EVF (low dynamic range, too bright, minimum 1ev brighter than actual picture)

2. Weatherproof. I like M-shooting but in rainy day I’ll take Q2 instead of M10

3. Q2 actually replaces two M-lenses(28 and 35) and provides high resolution picture

4. Faster buffer

5. Longer battery life

I’ll stick to the Q because Q2 brings nothing to the table that justify the money to spend to get one.

I have no use for 47mp images, I had no problem with lack of weather sealing, the EVF is good enough. My Q gave me high quality results so far, it’s not going to stop now 😉

8 hours ago, dancook said:

I have the Q2 and I can easily see why people would stick with the Q1.

Both cameras will give you the same excellent results for general 28mm full frame photography.

The Q2 adds features which are not frequently needed, and they could possibly be at the detriment to normal use if you don't really need them (file sizes)

What practical differences do you experience with the bigger files sizes? Is LR or PS processing slower? Are you finding slower upload or download speeds? Are you anticipating increasing your file storage and backup?

Put mine for sale but only for a price that I find acceptable to add for an upgrade (and that is still a crazy amount of money for some extra megapixel and weather sealing). Probably won't sell it for that price, but that's fine because I love my Q1 :) To be honest, there's no need to upgrade.

19 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

What practical differences do you experience with the bigger files sizes? Is LR or PS processing slower? Are you finding slower upload or download speeds? Are you anticipating increasing your file storage and backup?

No haven’t upgrade my system for over a year but i have an overclocked watercooled i7 6700k, Titan x pascal graphics card, 32gb ram and over 28tb of storage.

i do have 3 more bays in the NAS box which will eventually hold each 12tb hard drives, but it won’t be fault of the Q.

I also have 128gb 300mb/s cards that I use with my Sony a9, so all in all it hasn’t bothered me.

Nice you are already well equipped. 

Do you have a big 4K or 5K display too ?