Disable touchscreen Leica M10-P.

Klassika

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, MikeMyers said:

Well, from my point of view, I was just looking for a "yes" or a "no" reply.  Personally, because of my eyes and other reasons, I was hoping the touch screen thing could be switched off.  I'm surprised that nobody could answer such a simple question - either it does have that capability, or it doesn't. I

The simple answer is no, it's not currently under user control.  But given your previous comments, it seems you're assuming a specific solution is required to avoid a perceived problem, namely inadvertently altering shooting parameters or focus points.  What we're attempting to explain is that Leica choose a different route to address that issue.  You can decide for yourself whether any potential cracks in their implementation are too wide for you. In 1.5 years... 30K+ frames using LV (via the EVF) constantly... I've never once had a setting get altered accidentally on the M. 

As I mentioned in the other thread, the touch capability, at least for the 10-R, is only enabled in LV, the playback screen or the function screen. Otherwise touch is inactive.  That largely addresses the problem and avoids having to deal with the menu system to enable or disable touch when you do want to use it.

There are only two scenarios I can think of where you might be able to screw yourself.  The first is if you use LV from the rear screen rather than via the EVF or you want to use spot or multi metering, only available in LV, and don't have an EVF attached. In that case, the rear display would be live and you could potentially change the focus point without noticing it. OTOH, if you're focusing with the RF anyway, what does it matter if your cheek grazed the screen and the focus point changed?  And presumably if you were actually using the LV via the rear display you'd notice you changed the FP.  But in fairness, the focus point could matter if you're relying on setting the focus point for spot metering, but using the RF to focus.  An obscure issue, but OK, yep, there's a bit of a hole there. 

A more likely and potentially more infuriating screwup is inadvertently activating the function menu and randomly altering settings via touch.  Not something that is likely to happen during shooting, but could if the camera was left on while going in or out of a tight bag. That said theoretically, with any M10 you could accidentally delete every photo on the SD card if you were unlucky enough to cons up the right sequence of presses pulling the camera out of the bag.  Certainly none of us spend a single second worrying about that possibility.   So no, you cant disable touch, but in practice that does not create any problems with accidentally alter the cameras setting, at least in my experience.  The SL2 OTOH... 

Edited by Tailwagger

23 minutes ago, Tailwagger said:

But given your previous comments, it seems you're assuming a specific solution is required

Naw, just ignore my comments, and ignore any of my assumptions.  I read here that you have no issues, and from the DPReview forum I read that people have lots of issues.  I know that I personally have no desire for touch-screen on my camera - I don't have much choice on my phone, and even there unexpected things happen for me.

We will find out soon enough if something else you wrote is correct:  

26 minutes ago, Tailwagger said:

touch capability, at least for the 10-R, is only enabled in......

Hope the rumors of no more buttons on the back of the M11 are just fantasy.  From what you wrote, I might give the latest M10R a try, but if those rumors are true, I think that is "a bridge too far" for me..

42 minutes ago, MikeMyers said:

Hope the rumors of no more buttons on the back of the M11 are just fantasy.  From what you wrote, I might give the latest M10R a try, but if those rumors are true, I think that is "a bridge too far" for me..

While it might not be a bridge too far for me, I'd certainly admit it is a bridge I'd prefer not to cross.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve 1959 said:

Ask anything on here as long as it does not expose a weakness or poor design by leica.

Often it’s a debate between the owners and the non-owning critics; the latter become indignant, while the former make pics and occasionally contribute to wish lists.

Jeff

7 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Often it’s a debate between the owners and the non-owning critics; the latter become indignant, while the former make pics and occasionally contribute to wish lists.

Jeff

In your view maybe but your view is just yet another opinion among many.

I was lucky to finally be able to afford a leica M  4 years ago in the m262 but nothing since that camera has appealed to me and the M11 is likely to move further away from my camera.

I had an olympus camera from about 2013 where you just turned off the touchscreen and i find it very poor that you cannot perform this simple function on the M10 -P .

But you sit up there on your aloof high horse and take photos with your touchscreen always on.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 minutes ago, steve 1959 said:

But you sit up there on your aloof high horse and take photos with your touchscreen always on.

I can see where reading comprehension complicates matters for you.  I never have my touchscreen on when shooting with RF, which is my sole operating mode. But you aren’t currently, and won’t be, a buyer (probably even if Leica added an on/off option), but that surely won’t stop your whining.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

No need to get upset at each other - if there is a fault here, it is Leica's fault, not ours - we just enjoy using Leica cameras.   I think it's a common issue when most/many camera users/owners get upset when someone says something negative about the camera they are using.  I know of one world famous camera reviewer who called the M8 a pile of, well, let's say "junk" because of what he thought about the M8, but here I am thoroughly enjoying my own M8.2 camera (when I'm not using my M10 or my Nikons).

Leica is NOT perfect, the design of the M8 illustrates that, even if those "faults" made it an even better camera for some of us, me included.  If I don't want funny-looking greens, I can put the anti-ir filter in front of the lens, but because Leica left it off the camera, it can create brilliant B&W images, and I can use it to take infrared photos.

I totally agree with @steve 1959that Leica should have provided an on/off switch for the touch screen.  People who want those, turn them on, and those who don't, turn the function off.  I am concerned right now with the rumors about the M11, and if the whole camera depends on touch screen, my attitude will be the same as for the Fuji X100v.  I called Fuji to make sure that the touch screen could not be turned off, and they confirmed it.

My whole reason for buying a digital M was because I believed it would be like my M3 and M2, but shooting digital instead of film.  Since digital means electronic, menus are essential, and I accept that.  I liked the M8.2 menus, but thought they could be simplified.  I never owned a M9, but I do enjoy the improvements in the menu system on the M10.

I'll shut up here, as I'm not adding anything new, and none of us will know more about the M11 until either a spy posts images, or Leica releases all the specs along with images.  My prediction - the buttons on the current cameras will be selected on the bigger screen, not by pushing buttons.  That's a logical improvement.  But, without a touch screen, nothing would happen without a touch screen.   😞  Perhaps those are the only things that would be active on the screen, unless one turned on the touch screen function for everything else.  That makes sense to me.  

OK, you can all shoot me now.

Edited by MikeMyers
typo.
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, MikeMyers said:

My whole reason for buying a digital M was because I believed it would be like my M3 and M2, but shooting digital instead of film.  

Exactly what I still do...RF shooting with film Ms starting over 40 years ago...and no different with all my digital Ms from M8.2 to M10. Never cared for a Visoflex, mechanical or electronic.  Choices.

Jeff