Getting rid of Photoshop

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't have these problems on my mid-2010 one. But I did upgrade, maxed out RAM, installed large SSDs and got a decent graphics card by Raytheon. I think that is impossible on the later model, which I would avoid.
I recently had slow startup problems on mine, and it turned out a crashed OS update put system files all over the place on two different disks. Cleaning the machine up and installing Mojave cleared the problem.

It also helps to do a clean install, or a combo update. I strongly suspect a file structure or permissions problem with your machine.  Apple support is often useless and Adobe support is certainly unable to help you fix your Mac; get a local expert, certified by Apple, to help you out.

• 2 weeks later...

If you ever heard of Picture Window Pro, it happens that a major new version 8 has just been released in beta. My connection is only that I was an alpha tester, and I can tell you it is a great general-purpose post processing program. It does nearly everything a photographer needs for post processing (except demosaic the raw file; I use Raw Therapee for that). From the beta announcement:

Picture Window Pro 8 is a complete rewrite of the now discontinued Picture Window Pro 7. It features non-destructive editing via a novel interface based on an image tree. It also fully supports large, high resolution monitors and can be used in a dual-monitor configuration to increase the available screen real estate. Unlike previous versions of Picture Window, version 8 is free for personal or commercial use, but please do not redistribute the program yourself.

See http://www.dl-c.com/index.html for details, screenshots, and downloads.

I used it long ago Actually it was my first editing program. I only gave it up for the C1 that came with the DMR. It was (is?) Windows only, and was abandoned as freeware in 2016. So it has been revived. :) Lacks layers, though. Interesting enough to give it a try if it runs on Mac. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jaapv said:

I used it long ago Actually it was my first editing program. I only gave it up for the C1 that came with the DMR. It was (is?) Windows only, and was abandoned as freeware in 2016. So it has been revived. :) Lacks layers, though. Interesting enough to give it a try if it runs on Mac. 

The new image tree structure in PWP8, along with the 0-100 slider that nearly all transformations have, delivers the functionality of layers. I find PWP easier than PS in this respect, just my preference. The various methods of generating masks are versatile, too. But yes, PWP8 is Windows only.

I find Mojave to be totally stable; I am not detecting any problem with the Mojave OS and I'm on the latest 10.14.4.  Other than Photoshop CC my system runs perfectly.  Lightroom and Bridge run perfectly.  I could have my value-added Mac dealer look at it; they lease many systems to graphics users.  But I still think the problem is in Photoshop and is a graphics card conflict.

Yesterday I received a survey from Adobe concerning the stability of Photoshop CC.  The questions had to do with graphics cards, video card drivers, lock up during opening, crashing during file saves and any other stability issues.  There would not be such a survey if I were the only one having problems.  After each "force quit" when Photoshop locks up, an error dump is produced which I always send to Apple.  I wonder if these ever get to Adobe.

And I downloaded GIMP-2.10.  I just started working with it, so these are my first impressions:  I need to find the equivalent of Bridge to look at metadata and help select files to open; all the functionality of Photoshop CC seems to be there but arranged differently; GIMP seemed slow even to open; some Photoshop hot-keys work while others do not; computer-nerd jargon is used, such as "volumes" for attached RAIDs.  I need to do some real image processing with GIMP before I can pass any judgment.

7 hours ago, zeitz said:

It looks like a substitute for Illustrator.  Could you give more details?

I don't know what other details to give other than the fact that after a lot of tries it just came handy and it feels like the only thing that can be used instead of Photoshop. All apps give you the same power of cutting images, layers, etc. but only this came close to Photoshop's ideology :-D. Sorry for this remark...

Edited by Nicushor

• 1 month later...

I use Photoshop CS6 for the very simple reason that I refuse to subscribe to use software. I'm happy to run it on my old Mac Pro running El Cap. For image organisation I just use Bridge. The few times I shoot digital it is with a Canon EOS and for that I use Adobe DNG converter and then open files in Photoshop. Perhaps this workflow would work with Leica DNGs, I don't know so this may not be applicable.

• 4 weeks later...

No idea why PS is ever needed if no heavy editing is required. Its interface is so odd. I'm using SA LR and I could do some spots removal with it and color correction. Nothing else is needed for my pictures. Well resizing, but it is easy with LR. It also has tags, edit history and files management.

I have and use various programs, including LR. I always come back to Photoshop. I often use Content Aware technology.  For colour differentiation I would not be without LAB.
Contrast, highlights, shadows, sharpness control, there is no other program that comes near.

I don't believe in "just do a few minor corrections, crop and that is it"
Although I fully appreciate that time is money to a pro, and that there is no real need or even possibility to go far beyond the level that clients demand and expect, I am an amateur and can afford to  do a few images optimally.

I believe in the Ansel Adams approach to processing a photograph, half the image comes from the darkroom.

• Like 2

On 6/2/2019 at 12:44 AM, jaapv said:

I believe in the Ansel Adams approach to processing a photograph, half the image comes from the darkroom.

Indeed, make a photograph of what you want to discover not simply what the camera sees, otherwise you may just as well have bought the postcard.

And for this Photoshop is invaluable. I only use a fraction of what is possible because I wouldn't want to go so far as to fully 'Photoshop' an image. But it's tools and plugins are much nearer to the darkroom than many alternatives and it keeps me grounded in a similar workflow to the darkroom even though I may chose the print size last instead of first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1