Getting rid of Photoshop

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ever since PS was sold to new owners,  it has become a pain to me.  Rental software,  whole CC idea ,  not being able to get the promised updates because I am on a desktop, and no really significant updates for casual amateur photographers.  Certainly for graphic artists,it has been great, not much for me.  Well I finally got the latest update on my desktop and found I have to go the CC for updates.   Well it is full and I put nothing up there.   So I deleted it all so they would stop trying to sell me more space.   Guess what,  it deleted my HD 2018 also.  Seems it is set to sync by DEFAULT.   Everything is complicated and difficult.  Updates are not explained unless I go poking around the net.  Why not send me an email or link to what is new AND HOW TO USE IT?  Oh yes,  I now need another password for CC.  The whole thing is BS.

Oh yes I hate Lightroom with the catalog.  I have a system that served me and PS well for a decade and I do not wish to change.  There is nothing in LR I can not do PS & bridge.

I can use NX-D for my Nikons and it works super.   It now has local controls.  Did I say FREE or I paid for it in the cost of the camera.  

That leaves M digitals.   I thought I found a home with ON1 until I found it was a Google product.   I do not wish to be involved with that organization. JAAP panned it some anyway.

Now the big question is what can I use for Leica DNG files that has local controls and  can process files from beginning to end. 

I know you’re sour on Lightroom.  But here’s how it works for me.  No cloud storage; just CC Classic, which relies on my own simple backup system.  One master catalog, period.  Simple annual folders for importing pics.  Keywords for easier search.  I use a 2009 Mac desktop, and updates are a click away in the Help-update menu.  I keep my OS reasonably up to date, usually a generation behind until proven.

Photoshop is included for the same 10 buck subscription, but I rarely have a need.

If Adobe ever mandates cloud storage, then I’ll also be looking for an alternative.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

I know that it's been mentioned, but another plug for Capture One if you are doing lots of work that requires consistency, etc. For scans that require healing masks, etc., Affinity is a great product that also happens to communicate well with Capture One.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jeff S said:

I know you’re sour on Lightroom.  But here’s how it works for me.  No cloud storage; just CC Classic, which relies on my own simple backup system.  One master catalog, period.  Simple annual folders for importing pics.  Keywords for easier search.  I use a 2009 Mac desktop, and updates are a click away in the Help-update menu.  I keep my OS reasonably up to date, usually a generation behind until proven.

Photoshop is included for the same 10 buck subscription, but I rarely have a need.

If Adobe ever mandates cloud storage, then I’ll also be looking for an alternative.

Jeff

You won’t be able to update your OS any more, though. 

Mojave -and, presumably, future upgrades- can only be installed on newer MACs. The oldest being mid-2010 MacPro with a new graphics card.

MacBook introduced in early 2015 or later
MacBook Air introduced in mid 2012 or later
MacBook Pro introduced in mid 2012 or later
Mac mini introduced in late 2012 or later
iMac introduced in late 2012 or later
iMac Pro (all models)
Mac Pro introduced in late 2013, plus mid-2010 or mid-2012 models with a recommended Metal-capable graphics card.

Hi. I am also considering changing my photo editing software. I am trying ON1 at the moment. Would like to also try Capture One Pron12 could any members tell me if it supports S006. I see it does S007 but of course they different sensors.

Thanks. Mike.

my late 2013 MBP 15" has Mojave...and the OS complains about LR and several other software..saying they're not optimized etc etc..so i know after another OS update they probably wont work anymore... the  OS runs fine except no support for the Nvidia GPU strangely enough LR  shows its using the GPU...but anyways C1 is way better for me and my files

38 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Mojave -and, presumably, future upgrades- can only be installed on newer MACs. The oldest being mid-2010 MacPro with a new graphics card.

I’m upgrading the firmware in my machine from 4,1 to 5,1, which should effectively change it to a 2010-like machine.  There still might be a few other tweaks required. A good friend, who’s a computer geek, is now testing the same on his 2009 machine.  Worst case, I’ll get a few more years running High Sierra.

Jeff

• Like 2

I don't know what it is about Apple and Microsoft with respect to operating systems.  I guess they will tell you it is for security reasons.  I don't know what the best version of OS-X / MacOS is, but it is not Sierra.  The best version of Windows was XP, by far.  Then they thought Vista was a good idea, and then Windows versions with an interface optimized for smart phones was an even better idea.

I am about to go extreme - a high spec Intel box with Linux, Open Office and photography software from pixls.us, such as Darktable, RawTherapee, LightZone and GIMP.  Without a profit motive these guys seem to concentrate on the product.

2 hours ago, zeitz said:

I don't know what it is about Apple and Microsoft with respect to operating systems.  I guess they will tell you it is for security reasons.  I don't know what the best version of OS-X / MacOS is, but it is not Sierra.  The best version of Windows was XP, by far.  Then they thought Vista was a good idea, and then Windows versions with an interface optimized for smart phones was an even better idea.

I am about to go extreme - a high spec Intel box with Linux, Open Office and photography software from pixls.us, such as Darktable, RawTherapee, LightZone and GIMP.  Without a profit motive these guys seem to concentrate on the product.

Still prefer XP with Photoshop 7, much easier to use than my newer windows 8 machine with Elements and half a gigabyte of memory is plenty !

3 hours ago, zeitz said:

Umm, no they don't. Security is a minor improvement (and we have little Snitch anyway) Their main argument is stability and new features. I found it speeds up PS too, as the graphics processor seems to  integrated better..

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/best-features-of-macos-mojave/

https://www.macworld.com/article/3306771/5-reasons-why-you-should-upgrade-to-macos-mojave-right-now.html

I found High Sierra pretty good, but Mojave is a bit better. Unlike  Windows, there have never been disastrously bad OS systems. Thinking of Millenium still gives me indigestion...

I had stability problems with Sierra; it was almost as bad as Windows 98.  And my MacPro (late 2013 model), Mojave and PS v20 still don't play well together, sometimes refusing to open.  Every time I attempt to get help from Adobe (three long chat sessions), they want me to turn off the graphics processor.  That slows down PS.  I'd rather reboot every morning then to turn off the graphics processor.

If Apple wanted to speed up Macs, all they would have to do is update the machines with current hardware.  I'm on my third MacPro (late 2013); I lease on a two year upgrade cycle.

All of this is why I'm seriously thinking of going to fully open source software.