Left disapointed by the Leica Q2 firmware limitations

On 3/14/2019 at 7:16 PM, frame-it said:

did you test the S1R with any SL lens as well ?

I did, it was a demo day with quite a few trying to test but they worked well.  I'll post a couple shots when I am able.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2019 at 12:20 AM, untitledshot said:

I got a Leica Q2 last week, and I have to say it's my first leica. I thought it would be the perfect addition to my GFX50s. Sensor IQ i amazing and body is really well made, and focal length would be enough to get some good astro shots). What really sold me into Leica here is the fast aperture, low ISO and 120s exposure. It is actually a really fine camera and I have been happily shooting with it - until yesterday. However will trying to do night shots tonight, I was left surprised by two big limitations: 

1. It is impossible to remove noise reduction (which makes it really hard to make astro timelapse).

2. But worse, Leica seems to limit exposition time at higher ISO: ISO 6400 4s max - ISO 3200 4s max - ISO 1600 8s max - ISO 800 15s max - ISO 400, 30s max - ISO 200, 60s max, ISO 100 - 120s max, and ISO 60 - 50s. Going into T mode do not allow to override that limit. 

I get the first point, because Leica has a motto around image quality. But the second one is really surprising to me (and really taxing for astro photography, I would expect ).

Anybody knows if there I'll try some way to override the max shutter speed at higher ISO?

If not, I might consider reselling it (Leica Australia do not accept returns). It's a shame, because without those two limitation it could really be an awesome camera for night photography.

For the same price you can get a X1D. Fantastic for asto photography 

neil

3 hours ago, NW67 said:

For the same price you can get a X1D. Fantastic for asto photography 

neil

That was my thought ... but of course, you also need to buy a lens for the X1D. On the other hand, an X1D with the 21mm and 80mm lenses, and the adapter to allow use of my Hasselblad V System lenses, would be a pretty darn fine kit. :D

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/16/2019 at 7:08 PM, untitledshot said:

For those who are interested. So here is a comparison between two scene.

Left: Q2, f1.7 120 seconds, ISO 100 (+4.56EV in lightroom).

Right: GFX50s - SIgma 35mm f1.4 (eq to 31mm in FF). 60seconds, ISO 3200

1:1 show more noise on the Q2. I also noticed some shadow clipping at 7EV.

It'a also worth noting that both photo were taken at slightly different time of the day right after sunset, with slightly different aperture on different camera sensor size. The results are quite promising actually! I noticed some potential shadow clipping (may be related to NR), but still, the results are really satisfactory.

Next would be to actually do a real astro shoot, and see the difference, potentially using similar aperture/similar sensor size (some manufacturer noise reduction removes stars...). Those results gives me confidence. At that stage, if my next tests are consistants, this camera could be a nice astro photography - long exposure one. You just have to know the settings, and you have no option to see the preview (previews will pretty much show a black screen, see previous post). Let's hope Leica will provide a firmware update to unable preview with exposure BIAS, or even add longer exposure to higher ISO.

Why  not using  iso 3200 4sec and push only 2 stops?

jürgen

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm a big fan of astro as well and had some fun with a Nikon D750 + Sigma 35 Art 1.4 for years. 

Before going to the Q2, I was aware of those limitation but there' s a way to compensate it by spending the price of a Q2 holster

Check this :

https://www.astroshop.eu/camera-mounts/omegon-mount-mini-track-lx3/p,62043

and once you need a light & wonderful camera, you remove it and get back to your Q2

I haven't tried it yet on my Q2 but the concept works great for the Nikon so why not for the Q2 as well ?

Edited by Pascal-FR

On 14 March 2019 at 4:20 PM, untitledshot said:

I got a Leica Q2 last week, and I have to say it's my first leica. I thought it would be the perfect addition to my GFX50s. Sensor IQ i amazing and body is really well made, and focal length would be enough to get some good astro shots). What really sold me into Leica here is the fast aperture, low ISO and 120s exposure. It is actually a really fine camera and I have been happily shooting with it - until yesterday. However will trying to do night shots tonight, I was left surprised by two big limitations: 

1. It is impossible to remove noise reduction (which makes it really hard to make astro timelapse).

2. But worse, Leica seems to limit exposition time at higher ISO: ISO 6400 4s max - ISO 3200 4s max - ISO 1600 8s max - ISO 800 15s max - ISO 400, 30s max - ISO 200, 60s max, ISO 100 - 120s max, and ISO 60 - 50s. Going into T mode do not allow to override that limit. 

I get the first point, because Leica has a motto around image quality. But the second one is really surprising to me (and really taxing for astro photography, I would expect ).

Anybody knows if there I'll try some way to override the max shutter speed at higher ISO?

If not, I might consider reselling it (Leica Australia do not accept returns). It's a shame, because without those two limitation it could really be an awesome camera for night photography.

Have a look at this video on Q2 constraints: 

• Like 2

vor 42 Minuten schrieb WeiterWinkel:

I just returned from the presentation of the new Leica M10 Monochrom at the local Leica Store. BTW a really beautiful beast. The new 40 megapixel sensor is capable of a 15 minute exposure. Why not with the Q2 or CL? 

I can just guess, but I assume Q2 and CL have more electronics (AF etc.), which should be prevented from overheating / or adds heat to the system.

22 hours ago, 4peterse said:

I can just guess, but I assume Q2 and CL have more electronics (AF etc.), which should be prevented from overheating / or adds heat to the system.

My guess would be lower power in the sensor because of the design not being a Bayer sensor or they’ve done a better job of getting heat away from the sensor. Regardless, longer exposures are a plus occasionally. 

• Thanks 1