SD cards for Q2

2 hours ago, nicci78 said:

By the way never use free WiFi connection.

For various safety reasons, just buy a local SIM card with sufficient data plan. Or be an European and enjoy your mobile plan anywhere in the Union. 

For some of us, sadly, that might shortly be coming to an end. Sorry to mention the B word! 😪

On 3/22/2019 at 7:59 AM, nicci78 said:

Never rely on cloud ! 

Even in Europe, USA etc. In some hotels shared WiFi is totally useless.

Bring enough SD cards. And one or two backups  system. 

I'm not paranoid to ever need "one or two backup systems". My experience informs me I don't even need one.

13 minutes ago, ramarren said:

I'm not paranoid to ever need "one or two backup systems". My experience informs me I don't even need one.

We could start a thread about experiences where backup systems helped.

On a month-long Africa trip, my MacBook died after a week. Had a backup and continued to use my wife's Mac. But more than the hardware failure, I am worried about the human error where I delete files by mistake. The backups helped me once or twice. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 hours ago, ramarren said:

Until the day, you would need one. Never say never. 

One small hard drive such as the WD my Passport wireless, an iPad, a laptop, etc... whatever will provide you one backup easily.

But the Cloud, will be useless into 90% of location around the world. And you will need a computer or a tablet/smartphone first, so why bother ?

40 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

Until the day, you would need one. Never say never. 

One small hard drive such as the WD my Passport wireless, an iPad, a laptop, etc... whatever will provide you one backup easily.

But the Cloud, will be useless into 90% of location around the world. And you will need a computer or a tablet/smartphone first, so why bother ?

sigh. you just don't get it, do you? i don't operate from the basis of fear.

6 minutes ago, ramarren said:

sigh. you just don't get it, do you? i don't operate from the basis of fear.

I am SO jealous--congratulations on achieving this ultimate state of consciousness!!  I am not being sarcastic, here:  What is your secret?  I have spent my entire life trying (with varying degrees of some success) to achieve this state of mind, but it remains distantly elusive.  Photography of course helps (as can all of life's serious pursuits)--isn't this part of why we are drawn to Leica??

Have you also been able to become completely resistant to ALL types of insurance?

20 minutes ago, FHPdoc said:

I am SO jealous--congratulations on achieving this ultimate state of consciousness!!  I am not being sarcastic, here:  What is your secret?  I have spent my entire life trying (with varying degrees of some success) to achieve this state of mind, but it remains distantly elusive.  Photography of course helps (as can all of life's serious pursuits)--isn't this part of why we are drawn to Leica??

Have you also been able to become completely resistant to ALL types of insurance?

It's taken a lifetime of meditation and mistakes to achieve my state of consciousness, and it's still a work in progress. Whenever I give in to fear, I find things go sideways, so I work hard at not going there every day, every moment. It's one of the reasons I do not hide that I am gay, I try not to own too many things, I do everything I do as transparently as possible. I do not want to deal with the fear of being discovered, of losing things, of being accused falsely. If someone tries to steal from me, I give them what they wanted ... they must want it more than I needed it. I need very little and always have way too much. If they want to beat me up because I am gay or annoy them, I defend myself as best I can and accept that sometimes I will be in pain. When I see someone in pain or a child being treated cruelly, I cry and try to help. It's a way of life that is often tough. 

Be the person who breaks the cycle.

If you were judged, choose understanding. If you were rejected, choose acceptance. If you were shamed, choose compassion. Be the person you needed when you were hurting, not the person who hurt you. Vow to be better than what broke you—to heal instead of becoming bitter so you can act from your heart, not your pain.

I only carry insurance as legally required, on my car and motorcycle. I despise those bastards more than nearly any other institution on the planet.

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ramarren said:

It's taken a lifetime of meditation and mistakes to achieve my state of consciousness, and it's still a work in progress. Whenever I give in to fear, I find things go sideways, so I work hard at not going there every day, every moment. It's one of the reasons I do not hide that I am gay, I try not to own too many things, I do everything I do as transparently as possible. I do not want to deal with the fear of being discovered, of losing things, of being accused falsely. If someone tries to steal from me, I give them what they wanted ... they must want it more than I needed it. I need very little and always have way too much. If they want to beat me up because I am gay or annoy them, I defend myself as best I can and accept that sometimes I will be in pain. When I see someone in pain or a child being treated cruelly, I cry and try to help. It's a way of life that is often tough. 

Be the person who breaks the cycle.

If you were judged, choose understanding. If you were rejected, choose acceptance. If you were shamed, choose compassion. Be the person you needed when you were hurting, not the person who hurt you. Vow to be better than what broke you—to heal instead of becoming bitter so you can act from your heart, not your pain.

I only carry insurance as legally required, on my car and motorcycle. I despise those bastards more than nearly any other institution on the planet.

Master!  I raise a lotus to you...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nariza7 said:

Was wondering if anyone recommends freetail instead?

I'm sorry this doesn't directly reply to that question but I've always taken the view it's much better not to compromise on the quality of the card. I've preferred to pay for Sandisk and have never had a problem with any Sandisk card. After all the photos on the card are the reason you have the camera. 😀

Stephen

I've been using a pair of Sony "Tough High Performance" 64GB SDXC UHS-II Class 10 U3 cards in an X-T3, which takes good advantage of such a fast card.  I plan to continue to use these cards in my Q2 when it arrives.  I also like the idea of the tough build for times when the card is out of camera and subject to any number of insults.

4 hours ago, Mr.Q said:

I've never had a card go bad. In fact I feel there's a larger chance of the contacts going bad by swapping them too often.

I've had cards go bad, but in every case they were unlabeled cards that came free with something else I bought.  Looking through my cache of active cards I see most are Sandisk with a couple of Transcend.   Most are 8 GB in size which is a partial indicator of how old they are -- can you still buy cards that small ;)s