Please post some Noctilux F1 Shots

techpan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One from the other night; M8 + 50/1.2 Noctilux ("ASPH") wide open.

Meant to post these yesterday, but work got in the way! They are a series I shot M8+Noct @ f1.0 set at ISO 1250 I think, in a dark alleyway where people sit and have coffee etc in a busy part of Melbourne CBD.

The guy in the pics was drinking red wine and as I passed by with my camera he asked me what I was doing. Cheekily, I said, "looking for a drink". He said: sit down and I'll pour you one. I immediately started shooting and stayed for 4 hours!:eek: These are a small sample of the MANY pics I got that day. My main pleasure is that, despite alcohol intake, I could still focus!:D

Stop it now guys! You're killing me!

There are some gorgeous photographs happening here.

Couldn't afford a Nocti right now even if I could find one.

But a CV 40 Nokton Classic might satisfy my bokeh jones for the time being. Does it come even close?

Damn, I'm going to have some seriously OOF dreams tonight.

Stop it now guys! You're killing me!

There are some gorgeous photographs happening here.

Couldn't afford a Nocti right now even if I could find one.

But a CV 40 Nokton Classic might satisfy my bokeh jones for the time being. Does it come even close?

Damn, I'm going to have some seriously OOF dreams tonight.

Here's a shot with a 1950's Canon 50mmF1.2 I picked it up on eBay for $300 bucks or so. It has a reputation for being soft wide open but Amber"s near eye is tack sharp. There is a certain "glow" about pictures taken with the Canon that is reminesent of the older Leica glass.

Rex

Here's a shot with a 1950's Canon 50mmF1.2 I picked it up on eBay for $300 bucks or so. It has a reputation for being soft wide open but Amber"s near eye is tack sharp. There is a certain "glow" about pictures taken with the Canon that is reminesent of the older Leica glass.

That's nice too. The background has really turned to vapor in that one. So there are alternatives ... I'll see what I can find to tide me over until I can get my hands on the "Real Thing". I have a Tele-Elmarit 90 that does a pretty nice job, but of course it's a bit long for most situations.

Thanks for the example!

Mashu, you have me curious about the presumably Japanese characters you posted. Are they "Bo-Ke"? Doesn't Bo-Ke mean fussiness or blurriness, and is sometimes used for drunk people? Do Japanese photographers use Bo-Ke-Aji (or something similar) instead? What is the best translation of this?

I have read here and there about the origin of the term, but I am not sure I have understood it yet.

Thank you.

I just today got my Nocti back from having the digital code put on, so I headed back to the garden for a quick f/1.0 test. I'll be playing with it a lot more in the next few days.

Mashu, you have me curious about the presumably Japanese characters you posted. Are they "Bo-Ke"? Doesn't Bo-Ke mean fussiness or blurriness, and is sometimes used for drunk people? Do Japanese photographers use Bo-Ke-Aji (or something similar) instead? What is the best translation of this?

I have read here and there about the origin of the term, but I am not sure I have understood it yet.

Thank you.

Carstenw -

I have noticed that some people used "Boke" in some threads and I was wondering if that word is one of those internationally recognized and used ones such as "Karaoke"! While not intending to highjack this thread, I just wanted to add "some flavor" to my reply by adding the japanese characters!

Yes you are right, Carstenw. "Boke" literally means Fussiness or Blurriness or similar. It could also be used for "light headed people", "dumb people", "memory loss", etc. I do not believe it should be used for drunk people... They have different words for that (a lot worse!).

When you say "boke - AJI", you are referring to how boke appears / looks. Sort of "flavor" of boke, you know!

Hope this helps!

Cheers

PS: and just found this web site.

PhotoGuide Japan/PhotoWords/C

Mashu, thank you for the answer. I assume from the webpage you linked to that Boke-Aji is the common term among Japanese photographers for what we in this forum, and elsewhere in the English-speaking world, call Boke. What is the meaning of Aji? Does it mean something like nature-of or quality-of? By the way, I notice that you are in the States. I hope that I am not wrongly assuming that you speak Japanese, when you may not have lived there?

Wow, Kent, I am very pleasantly surprised to find an American/European who managed to learn some Japanese, as it is meant to be very difficult. Interesting comments about Boke. Do you know what Aji means, and have you heard it used in this context?

Huh? Where did the post go? I just saw it, I swear!

Wow, Kent, I am very pleasantly surprised to find an American/European who managed to learn some Japanese, as it is meant to be very difficult. Interesting comments about Boke. Do you know what Aji means, and have you heard it used in this context?

Huh? Where did the post go? I just saw it, I swear!

Sorry about that Carsten, I deleted it because I saw that Mashu had answered the question while I was typing my answer.

But to answer part 2: "aji" means taste or flavor. Normally it's applied to food, but it is also often applied to describe the "mood" of an image, for example.

People respond darn quick around here!

Carsten, Gareth ... really sorry about that. I thought I deleted the message almost immediately, but I guess I wasn't quick enough for you eagle-eyed guys. I should have just left it.

OK, to recap and consolidate:

The term "boke" traditionally applies to senility. A "boke-rojin" is a senile old person. But that is colloqial usage, and the more politically correct "chihou-sho" (dementia) is used in formal settings and the media. The word has taken on additional, broader meanings over time, and is used to describe anything that is indistinct or fuzzy. In the visual arts it is used to describe gradations in a watercolor or oil paining, for example, and the out of focus areas in photographs.

"Aji," as mentioned in my previous post, means taste or flavor. "Boke" refers to the actual fuzziness or blur itself, while "boke-aji" might be used to describe a photograph that uses boke as a significant element of the image. But in a photographic context you'll normally hear the term "boke" used on it's own.