Dust protection TL vs TL2 and lenses

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I'm new to the forum so hi to everyone. I'm interested in buying a TL for the price over the TL2, I read that the TL2 have a dust protection and the TL no.

It's true? Can be an issue in the long term? 

official TL lenses have also a sort of dust protection?

P.S. for reference of dust protection (I think of the sensor): https://www.juzaphoto.com/recensione.php?l=en&page=compare_c&item1=leica_tl2&item2=leica_tl&item3=&item4=

thanks 

Roberto

Hi Roberto

I’m afraid I don’t have any special knowledge about the dust protection on the TL2, but if the price is similar on the cameras you’re looking at (which seems to be what your post is implying?) then I’d definitely get the TL2, which is all-round an improved version of the T/TL.

I think the T is an exceptional camera - more because of its special interface and simple handling than the technical quality of its output - but really it only makes sense buying the older camera if you find one at the low price that dealers with old stock have been selling recently. 

I don't even know what is supposed  be meant by "dust protection...  :rolleyes:

Does either of the cameras have specific  sealing against dust ? No.  to both TL and TL2. Does either of the camera have a specific automatic sensor cleaning function? No to both TL and TL2.

5 hours ago, plasticman said:

Hi Roberto

I’m afraid I don’t have any special knowledge about the dust protection on the TL2, but if the price is similar on the cameras you’re looking at (which seems to be what your post is implying?) then I’d definitely get the TL2, which is all-round an improved version of the T/TL.

I think the T is an exceptional camera - more because of its special interface and simple handling than the technical quality of its output - but really it only makes sense buying the older camera if you find one at the low price that dealers with old stock have been selling recently. 

Thanks anyway, yes is a price thing, and I saw very beautiful pictures also in a T. At the end I bought one on eBay for a very good price including 23/f2 lens. Can't wait for the shipping!

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

I don't even know what is supposed  be meant by "dust protection...  :rolleyes:

Does either of the cameras have specific  sealing against dust ? No.  to both TL and TL2. Does either of the camera have a specific automatic sensor cleaning function? No to both TL and TL2.

Me too that's why I'm asking :) 

Sealing no I thought about a sensor protection.. I just see what is written in the link I posted and ask If it's true and what it is

I would suggest that dust protection  only comes into play with a fixed lens camera.  Most dust contamination occurs when changing lenses. However, some cameras have various systems that catch dust before it gets to the sensor, and a few have sensors that shake every once in a while to dislodge dust.

Speaking of dust issues, I recently found a tiny dust inside my TL 23 f/2 glass right in the middle, only two weeks after owning it. I have no idea how it got there. I sent the lens to Leica USA for repair, and after two weeks they just told me: "Your lens was sent to our factory in Germany for repair. As soon as they give us an update we will send you an email. The approximate turnaround time is 12 weeks so that will put the completion date at beginning of June". Wow!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The TL and TL2 bodies are identical - and the sensors are exposed when you remove the lens on either camera. There’s no difference - nor on the CL for that matter. 

Enjoy your T. I absolutely fell in love with mine and find the touch interface fast and intuitive to use. Cheers.

Edited by Guest

Dust gets everywhere regardless. Get yourself a T and get a bubble blower so that when you get a spec of dust on your sensor hopefully you can simply blow it away.

Dust inside the lens is a whole different ball game, especially with the L series lenses. Normally I am happy to open up a lens and clean it myself but the new L mount lenses (and SL) need setting up and aligning a certain way and without expensive equipment it is not possible for me to try it. However, dust has not really been an issue, my 18-56 has a spec or 2 inside and has never affected the image.

Enjoy.

^^^ But beware of using old rubber bulb blowers. The rubber degrades over time resulting in microscopic rubber dust particles being blown out … invisible to the naked eye but visible with an illuminated sensor loupe. This is particularly true of the smaller older rubber bulb blowers. Fact is, rubber deteriorates over time … hence 'hard' rubber bands. Better to use a can of compressed air … but with care and not too close to the sensor. 

dunk 

Never compressed air. It may spray hard-to-remove residue onto your sensor or cause it to freeze locally and crack. If the air stream is too strong it may blow dust between the layers of the filter stack too.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jaapv said:

Never compressed air. It may spray hard-to-remove residue onto your sensor or cause it to freeze locally and crack. If the air stream is too strong it may blow dust between the layers of the filter stack too.

Saw the original comment on my phone and came back on the iPad to say exactly what Jaap posted above. I use compressed air on my MacBook Pro keyboard (the one that constantly breaks), and often the amount of gunk that flies out of the compressed air and onto the keys is simply incredible. Nowadays I usually take great care to initially spray away from the keys first, and also invert spray residue at the end of the process - but I still sometimes get surprised and a thick splodge of instantly drying liquid sprays across the keys. I can’t imagine how I’d get that off a sensor.

The answer to old rubber decaying must surely be: update your rubber blower once a year. I had a single little dust particle on the T sensor after my vacation, and so I bought a new Giotto Rocket blower - took just a couple of puffs and everything is clean again.

• Like 1

^^^^ Depends how the compressed air is used which is why i mentioned but with care and not too close to the sensor. "   Last year I attended a Leica Mayfair sensor cleaning demo where their technician David Slater used compressed air … OK  if used properly.  DS has likely cleaned many hundreds of sensors and sensor surrounds at Leica Mayfair. 

dunk 

19 hours ago, DGP said:

The TL and TL2 bodies are identical - and the sensors are exposed when you remove the lens on either camera. There’s no difference - nor on the CL for that matter. 

Enjoy your T. I absolutely fell in love with mine and find the touch interface fast and intuitive to use. Cheers.

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, earleygallery said:

No, the information they give is incorrect.

Thanks!

8 hours ago, Marac said:

Dust gets everywhere regardless. Get yourself a T and get a bubble blower so that when you get a spec of dust on your sensor hopefully you can simply blow it away.

Dust inside the lens is a whole different ball game, especially with the L series lenses. Normally I am happy to open up a lens and clean it myself but the new L mount lenses (and SL) need setting up and aligning a certain way and without expensive equipment it is not possible for me to try it. However, dust has not really been an issue, my 18-56 has a spec or 2 inside and has never affected the image.

Enjoy.

I will thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

A better option than a Giottos is a VisibleDust Zee Pro Sensor bulb. Dual filtration and blows anti-static air so that the sensor or lens doesn't get ionized and attract dust particles.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1317992-REG/visibledust_19112366_zee_pro_sensor_cleaning.html

-Brad

Edited by bherman01545