R lenses on the M10

james.liam

I found the 020 to be quite usable, but as stated not enjoyable. It is light and small, and so is in my kit for use as an accessory finder for my 21mm and 135 mm M lenses. My main complaint isn’t the finder image, but the slow response to the shutter release with blackout for the shutter to close / open / close/ open for a single shot. An electronic shutter would cure that.

It isn’t bad, but for my R lenses the simple Sony A7 is much nicer to use, and results are OK (better than film). I’ve used it with 24 to 400 mm R lenses. It at least has an electronic first curtain to speed its reaction.

An SL would perhaps be better, but I mainly use M lenses, so the cost of the A7 was more reasonable for occasional use. I might consider an A7III for IS on long lenses.

(I also use the A7 for several other types of old SLR lenses in my collection.)

• Thanks 1

As is, the M10 + Visoflex 020 can represent the best "usable solution" R lens + M !

Better solutions exist, they are plenty out there in Leica world or other brands.

As owner of so many Leica R lenses, I tried them on M240 + EVF but the setup is not practical at all.

With M10 + Visoflex 020 + R lens same unpractical setup just only a small bit better in "response/blackout/finder resolution".

Nothing (if not another Apo-R) can give some nice rendering as

here with M10 + 020 + monopod

Apo-Telyt-R 4/280mm ( maybe with Apo-Adapter-R x2 )

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Not really as "sharp" as well known

reputation of this R "best long lens"

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

Another one

same day same setup

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

somewhat "sharper"

but the subject is "sharper" 😇

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, james.liam said:

The SL is in a league of its own. But is the EVF 020 usable? Found the one for the 240 useless and an embarrassment for Leica

I use M240 + EVF regularly with my R lenses (80-200R and 180APO3.4) and find it perfectly adequate. I don't shoot high speed action. Mainly landscapes where delay between shots is fine. I am sure M10 EVF is better than M240's. 

See this example. Just to use long lens, I am not going to carry another camera system. M can do double duty. :)

Edited by jmahto
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I've just started playing with a 180/2.8 R and a 2x on a M10 + EVF. It is not fun to use. I don't shoot long lenses all that often but when the surf is big or there's a full moon, it is better than shooting with a 135/4.

I tried a 560 R and it was a complete disaster. The lens didn't cover full frame and it just was not sharp. 

I have used M240 + EVF with my old Nikon AIS lenses and it works fine. Here two examples using the 180mm f2.8 lens. Attaching the same lenses on my CL is a better combo, as its faster.

Edited by emlandre

Same feeling here, I enjoyed the R lenses on the M240  then switched to the SL 601 . I find the M10's EVF too easy to unfold upwards whilst framing a shot.

19 R V2 + M240:

"Je suis Charlie" by JM__, on Flickr

"Je suis Charlie" by JM__, on Flickr

Edited by JMF