Voigtlander 50mm f/1.1 Infinity Focus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I've been testing a Voigtlander 50mm f/1.1 with my CL and the M-Adapter-L and while the out-of-focus bits are a massive selling point, the lens just won't focus to infinity.

I don't mean focusing past infinity. I mean it won't reach infinity, despite the focusing ring being maxed out.

It's the first time I've encountered this behaviour. 

I doubt it's the CL's fault - my M42 lenses with a Novoflex adapter focus to infinity without trouble.

So it's either the Voigtlander, the adapter or myself.

Do any of you have any idea what's going on here?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, M.piras said:

Using it often without any trouble, i think it's lens fault, does it fit to infinity on a M mount? 

Sadly, I don't have an M camera to test it with.

But thank you for your reply! It confirms my hunch that it's a lens issue, rather than an adapter or camera issue.

If You can post a picture of your lens barrel focusing at infinity i can compare with mine to see if end of scale is different (even if i think can be important also 1mm and it is difficult to appreciate the difference through a photo... But we can try!)

M.

55 minutes ago, M.piras said:

If You can post a picture of your lens barrel focusing at infinity i can compare with mine to see if end of scale is different (even if i think can be important also 1mm and it is difficult to appreciate the difference through a photo... But we can try!)

M.

I've decided to not go ahead with purchasing that particular lens and sent it back to the seller, so unfortunately I won't be able to provide images of it.

But I am still looking at getting a 50mm f/1.1! Hopefully the next sample that will fall in my hands will not have this issue.

Thanks!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Had this happen once with a Leica lens I purchased luckily from a repair shop. They made adjustments and the lens was fine after that. If you bought it new or 2nd hand from a dealer I'd take it back, ask if they could adjust it. You could also call Voigtlander about a repair.

Tom

• Thanks 1

This is a great lens, the issue is a simple adjustment to repair but it is obvious the seller 'got rid of it' because of this. Do not let it put you off buying another one, if you are in the UK you could try Ivor at Reddot Camera in London, they stock the lens new and you could confirm your thoughts.

Another lens to try (as mentioned) is the Canon L39 selection of 50mm lenses the f1.4 and especially the f1.2 are well priced and very good, the Canon f0.95 is a headache personally, the lens is very large and will cause annoyance removing from the adapter and it is almost the price of a Nocti (ok slight exaggeration but still £3k+ for a decent converted option).

I personally now use the Contax Zeiss 50mm f1.4 on my CL and it renders beautifully and costs £250 (novoflex CY to L adapter £100).

Enjoy.