Sign in to follow this  
Jodad

100 rolls of TMax 120 film in iso400. Exp 11/2013.

100 rolls of TMax 120 film in iso400. Exp 11/2013. Always refrigerated. How do you think this would perform and what do you think would be a fair price for the 100? Also, some of the rolls were frozen. Do you think there would be a marked difference in the performance between the refrigerated and frozen rolls?

Posted (edited)

I recently used some outdated Tmax and it was ok.

Are you buying or selling? If you have the film try some out to see if it is ok.

I bought a 30mtr roll of outdated FP4 last year that was stated as having been frozen, it was ok and I have nearly finished the roll, a slight loss of speed and contrast possibly.

if buying,  £100 seems like a lot to pay in one go, so maybe less than £1 a roll, if selling you would probably get £1 a roll when selling a few at a time, on e-bay?

£50 for the lot? That would be worth it to use, keep someone busy for a while.

i might be interested if you are selling (in the UK).

Edited by Pyrogallol

Last year I bought bunch of TMax 100 expired in 2015 by mistake. It was refrigerated. I have been slowly going through my cache and haven't found any degradation. 

14 hours ago, Pyrogallol said:

I recently used some outdated Tmax and it was ok.

Are you buying or selling? If you have the film try some out to see if it is ok.

I bought a 30mtr roll of outdated FP4 last year that was stated as having been frozen, it was ok and I have nearly finished the roll, a slight loss of speed and contrast possibly.

if buying,  £100 seems like a lot to pay in one go, so maybe less than £1 a roll, if selling you would probably get £1 a roll when selling a few at a time, on e-bay?

£50 for the lot? That would be worth it to use, keep someone busy for a while.

i might be interested if you are selling (in the UK).

Hiya Pyro,

Im buying to use myself. 

You think £1 a roll for 2013 tmax 400 in 120 is a reasonable price?!

Posted (edited)

If you can get it for £1 a roll then you will be doing really well😊. Expired film seems to be commanding silly prices at the moment, in a lot of cases more than fresh stuff and especially if it has been discontinued.  A quick look on e-Bay has a roll for £9.99 plus postage https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-Kodak-TMax-400-Date-Expired-120-Black-White-Negative-Film/192852217771?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D56924%26meid%3De61a546976434f49b81aa5165debec8f%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D192852217771%26itm%3D192852217771&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A70c63631-457c-11e9-9fa5-74dbd1808716|parentrq%3A76a3c4f31690a99b5d644fadffee5a30|iid%3A1.

Good luck, let us know how you get on. 

Edited by Bobitybob

Posted (edited)

It should be fine. You will likely notice a bit higher base fog and slightly reduced contrast and higher grain if you compare it directly to fresh film, but 2013 is not that long ago in film terms. Most of the change in contrast can be addressed in printing or scanning, and the grain should not be too apparent if you expose well. You are best rating it at 320, I would assume. I have had clients bring me 60 and 70 year old film that still will give an image. It is usually not a good image, but in general you should be fine. I am not sure what fresh Tmax goes for in the UK, but 1 pound sounds like a good deal. Maybe less of a good deal though if you are just stockpiling and intend to shoot it over the next 5 to 10 years. 

Freezing is helpful and will slow the rate of decay and prevent fogging from heat, but you are still vulnerable to fog from cosmic rays. This base fog is most visible in how it makes the film less clear...it darkens the film and the film base is slowly exposed to cosmic radiation. It is why Kodak stored Tmax 3200 at the bottom of an abandoned mine...all the rock shielded the film from cosmic rays and helped allow it to be stored longer.

If you are particularly worried, you can use a base fog inhibiting developer...Rodinal is one example, as well as some dilutions of HC-110. I am sure there would be more information in Achell and Tropp's darkroom cookbook or somewhere on APUG (now photrio). 

Edited by Stuart Richardson