It is known bug?

vkdev

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello! 

I have the bug in my M240 (like new, ~1000 shots)

At a random time, the camera does not respond to the "shutter" button and "turning off" selector. At the same time, all other functions continue to work (also in viewfinder I see the red triangle |>. it is not shown in the video, it has disappeared). This happens quite often, 1-2-3.... times a day (one bug for 10-50 shots).

For greater clarity, I reproduced the error using only 10 (!!!) shots: 

Software version is 2.0.5.0

And the question:

I know that some people have the same problem, but it is quite rare. Is this a known bug and does it have a solution?

I wrote the letter to the Leica customer service, but I haven’t received an answer yet. I really like my camera and I want to continue using it.

Thank you!

No that is not a know bug. I would suggest a call to Leica and email them the video. I do have a not too dissimilar issue where changing a lens with the camera on freezes the camera and I have to pull the battery to get the camera working.

19 hours ago, jaeger said:

"You have a bug" in your M240?  why did you do that? 

Climatic conditions im my city are favorable for bugs :)

Exodies, SD card is ok. I have 3 different SD cards (32 sandisk, 32 kingston, 128 kingston). I tried timer etc. No effect.

8 hours ago, jaapv said:

I predict Leica's response will be "send it in"

I asked a question because I often heard from Leica M owners that their camera doesn’t rarely freeze, and this is either normal or easy to fix. In my case, this is most likely damage to the camera (electronic parts). It is a pity that in my country the service center is closed and I need to wait ~six months to conduct a diagnosis before service center will be opened again.

Thanks for the replies, I was hoping that this is fixed by the firmware. I wish your cameras never let you down.

Before I solve the problem, I will use the camera and enjoy despite this unpleasant problem. This is my first Leica and it gave me back my interest in photography.

8 minutes ago, jaeger said:

yeah... very likely a bad switch. 

The error disappears when I pull out the battery and insert it back. It is for this reason that I assumed that this is a software error. I'll wait for the opening of the service center, there is no other option yet.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, vkdev said:

The error disappears when I pull out the battery and insert it back. It is for this reason that I assumed that this is a software error. I'll wait for the opening of the service center, there is no other option yet.

This looks exactly the same as what would happen to my M240 from time to time. The camera would lock up and only popping the battery out would reset it. Like you I did try different SD cards but rather than trying the same capacity of 32gb or greater my spare was 16gb..........and the problem stopped. The lockups seemed to happen when I'd been in LV and quickly switching between shooting and reviewing the previous image but of course when I tried to mimic the causes to prove the theory it didn't break. It certainly didn't seem to be the switch at fault or the shutter button, and if it was mechanical and not the SD card my suspicion at the time was maybe a sticky button.

Like 250SWB, I also had this happen a couple of times through years of use, maybe once every 5000 frames.  A pop-out of the battery solved it each time.  Still, it was disconcerting. No such behaviors were seen with the M-P240, M262, M246, or M-D262.

Eric

I tried to format the 32GB memory card using the SD Formatter, Ill be watching the changes. Sorry, the weather does not make me happy, to shoot a lot of shots for a test at home is not interesting. If the problem does not appear in the next couple of months, I'll write about it. Otherwise, I'll take the camera to the service. Thanks for the help, I hope you are right and the only thing in the memory card.

• 4 weeks later...
Am 13.3.2019 um 18:01 schrieb vkdev:

Yes I know this " thing " : " bug " . I have my M240 for 4 years now. This appears from time tot time. especially when I take a lot of shots ( over 500 ) in an hour or two. I got used to it. Just take the battery out and put it in. I always thought it had to do with static, because I can make a lot of static electricity when walking. The battery would " ground" this. After the repair last time. ( Leica replaced the messing top ) I did not noticed it. ( But I did not make 500 shots in an hour with it...)

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, I think that I can to reproduce this error and I've the temporary solution.

1. format SD card using SD Card formatter, take a picture. Leica works fine
  2. insert SD card into the macbook with High Sierra (not tested on windows), copy your pictures....
  3. Go walk and shoot nice pictures
  4. Oh no..........

After copying my pictures using mac my leica may not work properly. This issue not reproduced if I set SD card as Read Only before. 

I do not know exactly the reason, perhaps this is due to the fact that mac creates hidden files or otherwise spoils the file system of the SD card.

...I always format my SD before using it and for 5 year this happened. I don't know if this was /is the solution. Also it happened way before I had High Sierra. Snow Leopard was still on my Mac in that time? 

As vkdev said, the Mac finder leaves a "hidden" file (.DS_Store) in folders to keep track of state.   That's what lets finder remember how you want to view a particular folder, for example, when opening the folder in the future.  Perhaps this is causing issues with Leica.  SD cards may also contain the hidden .Trashes folder.  I'd disagree that these files "spoil" the file system.

While I use a Mac I never open SD cards using the finder and have not had a single issue.  I'm an old computer guy who often uses the command line and the underlying UNIX environment in macOS to manage getting images off of SD cards, bypassing the Finder.

marchyman, I like command line and mc :) but... 2019 year! I need previews of my pictures, I don't remember which file I last copied to the cosputer. I dont want to move all the files every time and clean the card...

about file system: on my old macbook 2011 after updating to high sierra sd reader not sees my sd card, because... because I should buy the new mac (Hello, Tim!). for this reason I assumed that something could go wrong with the file system on macbook 2017. I'm glad that I was wrong.

Thank you, I will console myself with the thought that I bought an expensive camera to enjoy dealing with problems. It is worth the large money 😎

2 hours ago, vkdev said:

marchyman, I like command line and mc :) but... 2019 year! I need previews of my pictures, I don't remember which file I last copied to the cosputer. I dont want to move all the files every time and clean the card...

What about letting the OSX image viewer utility, whatever it is, deal with the previews, which it should do just fine?

I'm not using OSX so I'm definitely not the best advisor but I guess It has an option buried deep in some menu to prevent letting the finder over-manage removable medias. Even if it has not, I guess this page contains some solution to your problem:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/6707/how-to-stop-os-x-from-writing-spotlight-and-trash-files-to-memory-cards-and-usb

Good luck!

I am amazed at how over-complicated OSes such as Windows, OSX and major Linux distributions successfully manage to create new problems for the user with every new version. Simpler UNIX derivatives seem to me the Leica M of OSes, they do what they are asked to and nothing more…