Anybody using Really Right Stuff (RRS) Gear?

rocky

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am especially interested in how well the RRS grip works on an M10.  I just did a test shoot of an M10, and most definitely like this camera; however, it was a bit awkward holding the camera when switching back and forth from landscape to portrait, so I thought Really RIght Stuff (RRS) might help.  I use L-brackets on two Canon 1-series bodies, and the L-bracket on the left side of the body is easy to grip whether shooting landscape or portrait. Also, RRS has a hand grip that mounts on the right side of the body of the M10, and would love to hear from someone who has the hand grip to see how well it works. 

Edited by rocky
typos

15 minutes ago, rocky said:

Am especially interested in how well the RRS grip works on an M10.  I just did a test shoot of an M10, and most definitely like this camera; however, it was a bit awkward holding the camera when switching back and forth from landscape to portrait, so I thought Really RIght Stuff (RRS) might help.  I use L-brackets on two Canon 1-series bodies, and the L-bracket on the left side of the body is easy to grip in  whether shooting i landscape or portrait. Also, RRS has a hand grip that mounts on the right side of the body of the M10, and would love to hear from someone who has the hand grip to see how well it works. 

I use RRS grips on M7, M9 and M10.  I have long fingers and it still works well. However, the left side L attachment is too close to the body to be much good for gripping.

OK, that's good to hear the hand grip works well for you.  On my Canon gear the L-bracket on the left side extends out 1/2 inch or so behind the body giving me something to hang onto which works great for shooting landscape, and rotating the body 90 degrees for portraits, the front edge of the L-bracket rests in the palm of my hand with the thumb and forefinger wrapped around the focus ring and the middle, ring finger curled around the lens and the little finger grasping the bottom of the L-bracket.  Guess I'll have to wait and see.  I'm happy you like the RRS handgrip for the M10.  Do you also use the thumb support?  

Edited by rocky
typo

Just now, digger1914 said:

I use the RRS base plate with their BH-30 Ballhead on my M10, and it is a great combination.  The ball head is ideal for the weight of the camera.

I also use a Thumbs Up.  Gadget boy!

I still have the BH50 from my DSLR time. Great piece of equipment, but somewhat overkill for a M10.

I love the RRS L brackets for tripod use with my M10 and my Canons.  I have the bracket and grip for my M10, but I don't find the grip particularly ergonomic and I'm kind of disappointed with it, so I don't keep it on the camera unless I'm going to be using a tripod.  (I don't have a thumb grip.)

Truth be told, I like what Leica's half case does for handling, and have one of those on my camera for hand-held use.

Like Gobert, I too use the BH-30 and find it perfect for the M. I have used the L-brackets on the M240 and now on the M10-D. Because of the weight I do not keep it on the camera. I use it only when I use a tripod. Good luck. RRS is very good quality iIMO. Cheers--linford

RRS plates are, as used, good kit.  Regarding M10--& M(2*) digitals... the mount-plate attaches in the camera body, unlike earlier M's, whether film or digital, which mount is in the base-plate.  So you should know: switching battery or SD card will require removal of the mount plate on M2(4*) & M10 variants to access these.

I use an Acratech "Ultimate Ball Head" on a Ries H100, or Bogen 3001+3025 head (Okay, have been in this for a while ;)  )... both with RRS plates (Arca-Swiss compatible/aligned).

Had an RRS L-bracket until I ventured into the realm of "ball-head" tripod mount... M's before M(2*) models: the RRS 30 D (not L shaped, tripod mounting screw at "left" of base plate), except the M8 (M9+, dunno)) (now tripod  mount centered-to-the-lens/film-plane mount), RRS "BP-CS,"  affords a M5 "vertical" strap option too ;)

Unfortunately, I must attach tripod mounting plates higgledy-piggley," with the M10, where I could simply attach & move on.... in hand, as Alessi's founder quipped: "great design." Okay in hand, as we know, yet M10 variants do not need in body tripod mount as M(2*) variants did... yet they do, unfortunately.

in uniton,

Dave

RRS is great and I have been using it on various camera's over the past 20 years. To offer an alternative view I like the Leica handgrips - I use the 14405 on my film M's and have used the 14496 on my MP240 before I traded it for a M10-D (no need for a grip on that one for me). So I only use a simple B9 plate when I want to use my BH30 ballhead, which is not too often. I guess only if I would use ballhead more regular, I would consider replacing the base plat for a RRS one but they are a little bulky for my taste..

RRS is great with excellent quality and a well thought out system. However, I feel they are more suited to SLR users. I used their plate and head with my Nikon DSLRs and the M9.

With the M10, I was less than enthusiastic with the plate for the M10. If I was doing a lot more work on a tripod, I might buy it. Reality is, I only do tripod work occasionaly these days.

I felt the Novoflex Magic Ball to be a much better solution. The whole setup is very small and light, is made with incredible quality and precision and works well with my Gitzo CF Traveller tripod. The ball attaches to the camera in seconds and snaps into the quick release base receiver and you're ready to go. It takes more time to set up the tripod. The ball also makes a nice hand grip on the M10 and also comes with a chest pod/cup that is easy to use too.

For the record, I have no affiliation with Novoflex. I am a ball head junky though, with too many to admit to, so I have used/experienced most of what is out there. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I have an M10-P and an RRS L-grip - works really well. Although you only really "need" it for a heavier lens like the 90mm Summicron I use it with smaller lenses as well because I can't be bothered to change the base when I change lenses. I prefer the RRS grip to the Leica alternative although from a design point of view the RRS does not match the Leica ( I don't care, functionally it works well). I personally like using a grip for most cameras as it just makes the camera easier to handle, I have a big battery grip for my Canon 5D mk4 which I never take off.