M10 to Q2 will it happen?

Flyer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 hours ago, Flyer said:

I appreciate all your advise but guess some people may be frustrated by my confusion but I appreciate all the advise, and if I cut through it and take out the pertinent points there is still too many variables for anyone to guide me to a conclusion that I can only make myself. 

I am 59 years old and gone have the days of setting the alarm for sunrises etc, now I want to enjoy the process of photography and although I will still do my wildlife, I also want to enjoy the minimalist and fun side of photography with a challenge of a new genre such as urban and a bit of street photography. To be honest I walked around my home town of Beverley the other day and just used my Huawei Pro 20 and got some very nice images. I have done the 5 lenses and two body stuff and now want to enter the world of a more relaxed type of opportunist type of photography, and Leica cameras appear to be intuatice, tactile and above all engaging to use. 

I guess if there was a Q2 with intergangable lenses that would be my perfect camera!!!! 

Let's cut to the chase, then - buy an M10-P and one good lens to get you started.  Work out if you're a 50mm kind of guy or a 35/28mm wide person, then get either the 50 Summilux-M ASPH or the new 28 or 35 Summicron-M ASPH - they are all really good, and there's no point in buying a Leica and not having at least one good Leica lens.  Stop torturing yourself, and get out and take pictures.  

I am also 59 (for a couple of weeks, anyway)!  You'll soon forget the price in the pleasure of exploring your new photographic adventure.

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, IkarusJohn said:

Let's cut to the chase, then - buy an M10-P and one good lens to get you started.  Work out if you're a 50mm kind of guy or a 35/28mm wide person, then get either the 50 Summilux-M ASPH or the new 28 or 35 Summicron-M ASPH - they are all really good, and there's no point in buying a Leica and not having at least one good Leica lens.  Stop torturing yourself, and get out and take pictures.  

I am also 59 (for a couple of weeks, anyway)!  You'll soon forget the price in the pleasure of exploring your new photographic adventure.

Good advice. +1 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was almost at a point of having to move away from the M due to eyesight issues.  Fortunately a new set of Zeiss progressive computer reading glasses fixed the problem (7m distance as the sweet spot).  I absolutely dreaded not using from the M.  That being said, if the Q1 price falls to the lower 2k range...a good price for a "point-n-shoot", I would like to snap one up as a  compliment to my M6 & M10, certainly not a replacement.  I think I will try adding the +0.5 diopter for the M10 with the glasses.

Edited by rrdiaz30

On 3/12/2019 at 10:13 AM, TrickyMrT said:

For fast situations, I use Sony A7R III + 24-105 f4 (  I hate the optic and the ergonomics of this camera ).

This is very interesting. Could you please say a little more, especially about the optic, since this combination has been on my radar and I have until now only heard good things about the lens.

Hello,

I want to warn you. If you buy a Q, QP or Q2, after sometime you want an M. And a Summilux. Or an SL with SL or T lenses. Next to my M10 I bought sometime ago a like new X-Vario. This can be had for around $900. It has a very fine vario lens, autofocus which you can override manually. It’s not so fast but has an absolute outstanding lens. 

Success in your search.

Klassika.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/12/2019 at 4:06 PM, feelssadman said:

I do because of the ISO dial on the M10 - on the 1DX, you are also used to control the ISO with (holding one button) and turning the wheel and the M240 does not offer that option as you have to open a menu. Thats just a small thing though.

With the M240 you hold down one button and turn a wheel.

• Thanks 1

The question is, whether you want to carry two cameras and use both actively or one to use and one only as a backup. If you want two to use, it would make sense to have two bodies that can use the same lenses. Then you could switch rapidly between focal lengths and still have a full backup for all focal lengths you carry.

Having said that, I'm 59 as well and it's been years since I have bothered to carry two cameras for use on any longer trips or when travelling abroad. For people, cities and the occasional countryside trip I just carry an M10 (previously an M9) and a couple of lenses (the excellent cron 35 asph used for more than 90% of all pictures). For wildlife and landscape I use a Canon 5DSR and some zooms.

And as a backup I actually carry a Sony RX-100 (first gen) - because it's small and lightweight and almost exclusively to be used as a backup. And then, as a backup for the backup, a Samsung S8.

But, as said, it all depends on if you want to carry one or two cameras to actually use actively.

Edited by mujk
  • Like 2

I was in the market for an M10 up until 2 weeks ago when the Q2 arose. Yes they are different philosophy cameras.. interchangeable lens rangefinder vs compact fixed lens..

BUT after trying the Q2 it is almost impossible i feel to be satisfied with the M10 sensor. The Q2 sensor is that good.

So  I will probably be getting a Q2 + M9 (to quench my Leica rangefinder desire).. and I will be patiently waiting for M11 release to cop a new M series.

Anyways long story short.. yes Q2 will be cutting into M10 sales as far as i am concerned ;) 

On 3/11/2019 at 9:33 AM, jaapv said:

People may well buy the Q2 as a second camera to their M.

That is me....

I already have the Q and I must say it did a great job, specially when I want to take pictures unoticed: cam hanging in front of me, half hidden with a scarf, I could press the button discreetly and ALL my pictures came out good!

I am an old lady and in some situations I prefer not to drag attention on my cams... even if I still can defend myself quite well.

When I can study my picture it is the M.

I have a 21mm zeiss, a MATE, a 50mm Lux and a 90mm Cron, it covers it all.

Edited by Lucena
  • Like 1

On 3/12/2019 at 12:35 PM, TrickyMrT said:

Q1 + M10 makes sense 

but

Q2 + M10 with such a difference in resolution?

I´m afraid that the 28 feels to wide and it has too much distortion and chromatic aberration. But it could be a good holiday camera.

On the other hand, it is still very heavy to carry it around.

What do you think about M10 + Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 VI ? Or maybe you have other suggestions?

M10 and DLux7, I made that choice lately to go to Norway and was quite satisfied with the DLux7 as a pocket "soap" (as we say in Portuguese for a small cam fitting in the pocket):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/isabel_lucena/

• Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 5:14 PM, wolfloid said:

This is very interesting. Could you please say a little more, especially about the optic, since this combination has been on my radar and I have until now only heard good things about the lens.

You can shoot 10 frames per second. The Autofocus of the A7R III is extremely fast and it can follow an object or a person. 

It takes some time, but you can configure the camera and store the full configuration to one button! for example, landscape to dial 1, sport & action to dial 2 and so on.

I love also that you can customize every button to your needs! You don´t need to go into any menu once you have done it.

Another great feature which I miss in the Leica world is the minimum auto shutter speed. This means you can configure the camera to shoot with a minimum shutter speed of example 250/1. Its locking ok the exposure and calculating the iso correct. If you have a kid which is running indoor you do not miss one shoot by keeping the eye tracked! The real con is the weight and size in the combination 24-105 lense. I will test in the coming days some fixed lenses like 50mm 1.8 and 35mm 1.8.

In terms of weight and size, it should make a difference. 

This is how I use my  gear:

Q2 for walk around, travel sightseeing, bad weather, beach, hiking etc...

M10 + 50mm APO for portraits and sightseeing

Sony A7R III + 24-105 for the museum, landscape, action and low light 

I wouldn't mind that new 47mp sensor making it into the next version of the M10.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

Edited by budjames
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Reawakening this thread with my own related question:

Has anyone here bought a Q2 to compliment or back up their M system? Did the ease of the Q2 cause you to leave your Ms at home? Do you have that "shoot, what should I take" moment more often? I ask because I'm intrigued with the Q2 for quick auto shooting, its macro ability and video. I love my Ms tho!

Thanks!

I started the other way. Bought a Q-P as the gateway into Leica. Love the camera, great images and very happy with it.

Then I expanded and added the M10, which I now adore.

I only grab the Q-P when I need autofocus, for everything else the M is the first camera I use. For me autofocus is only needed or handy over the M when I’m shooting my kids and family stuff. 

13 minutes ago, LondonL said:

I started the other way. Bought a Q-P as the gateway into Leica. Love the camera, great images and very happy with it.

Then I expanded and added the M10, which I now adore.

I only grab the Q-P when I need autofocus, for everything else the M is the first camera I use. For me autofocus is only needed or handy over the M when I’m shooting my kids and family stuff. 

Thank you. That's the role I'm thinking for the Q2. Quick casual autofocus that's much better than a phone, macro and video. Perhaps also when I expect conditions to be atrocious and want better weather sealing.

If/when I got up there in years and could no longer use a rangefinder I would just stick with my CL or possibly go to an SL2-S if I wanted full frame.  As good as the Q2 is, not having interchangeable lenses is a deal breaker for me.  

Edited by Camaro5

12 minutes ago, insomnigraphic said:

Thank you. That's the role I'm thinking for the Q2. Quick casual autofocus that's much better than a phone, macro and video. Perhaps also when I expect conditions to be atrocious and want better weather sealing.

Having said that though, had I bought an M first then I’m not sure I would have got the Q-P after. Probably another brand as there are so many autofocus options, some much more compact than the Q-P. But… there is only one M

For me the option was the lightweight, couldn’t carry my M and lenses all the time anymore but I am not myself if I don’t wear a camera. So I went for the Q2, use it fully manual (focus too) and am fully satisfied, don’t miss the M that much.