Flyer

M10 to Q2 will it happen?

As you know I am Newby to the Leica forum so still getting the hang of the history etc.

Do you think the Q2 will impact sales of the M10? 

For instance are these two cameras aimed at two different types of photographer, the M10 for the film type photographer and the Q2 for the iPhone photographers? 

Can you see many M10 users moving to a Q2? 

Flyer

I don't think the Q2 will specifically impact sales of the M series cameras any more than the original Q may have done. I see these as being aimed at two different market segments with (as always) a bit of overlap.

I don't feel you buy a Q2 for the same reasons you buy an M.

I am sure Q2 is a great camera, but it doesn't tempt me at all. I want the real rangefinder experience with manual focusing, and I want the possibility to change lenses

The only reason I would ever buy anything like the Q is when my eyesight is too poor to be able to use an OVF and focus manually.

Would be interesting to see the demographics of M10 buyers and users. I assume the majority will (have to) switch to EVF & AF the sooner or later.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Flyer said:

As you know I am Newby to the Leica forum so still getting the hang of the history etc.

Do you think the Q2 will impact sales of the M10? 

For instance are these two cameras aimed at two different types of photographer, the M10 for the film type photographer and the Q2 for the iPhone photographers? 

Can you see many M10 users moving to a Q2? 

Flyer

Completely Different type of camera. Only reason to substitute M with Q is to reduce the weight.    There is a good argument to own both types, but M ownership should come first IMHO..  I had two bodies and gave up the Q to continue with the M and I’m not tempted by a Q 2  now that it is clear that all images will still be based on 28mm and long focal lengths are simply crops.   The viewfinder will not expand electronically  to “fill” with the cropped image.  Guidelines only. In fact, it would be cheaper to buy a second Leica body and put a 75mm lens on it. That way, you would get the full benefit of the host sensor.  Say.. 18mp from an M9.    I’m considering that option.

i don’t think history helps here.  Are you worried about buying into the M system in case everyone dumps Ms and you are left stranded.   Won’t happen, and this forum is only representing a small proportion of global end users, so indications here are skewed.  

have you progressed from research to actual ownership of anything Leica yet?

Edited by lucerne

M cameras are very different to Q cameras for obvious reason; interchangeable optics vs fixed lens.  Even 24Mp M10 fitted with 50 or 75mm lens, or longer produces maximum resolution image while 47Mp Q2 resorts to cropping. 

Only type of camera that might affect sales of Optical RF M cameras, like M10, would be be M camera derivative fitted with integral EVF.

The Q really is a nice supplementary camera to go well along with others, at least for me it would be. I owned the first Q1, when it came out. At that time, it added a lot of new features to my then M9. That was very useful. Minimal focus distance, good AF, EVF, better ISO. The Q is a tad on the large side, if you just want a very small walk around thing. Rather go for a GR iii or maybe the X100f. With the increased MP count, it of course doubles as a 35mm APSC camera with still excellent specs (better than the X100). But then the X100 offers smaller size, flash and an ND filter. To boil it down for me:

If I want to have a very small and light camera to go out in the evening / night, I think the Q is too large (not to mention I am then running around with a quite expensive thing). When I want to specifically go for a photo walk, I would tend to take at least the M10, but I think then a Q and an M with a 50/90 combo do pair well.

9 hours ago, lucerne said:

Completely Different type of camera. Only reason to substitute M with Q is to reduce the weight.    There is a good argument to own both types, but M ownership should come first IMHO..  I had two bodies and gave up the Q to continue with the M and I’m not tempted by a Q 2  now that it is clear that all images will still be based on 28mm and long focal lengths are simply crops.   The viewfinder will not expand electronically  to “fill” with the cropped image.  Guidelines only. In fact, it would be cheaper to buy a second Leica body and put a 75mm lens on it. That way, you would get the full benefit of the host sensor.  Say.. 18mp from an M9.    I’m considering that option.

i don’t think history helps here.  Are you worried about buying into the M system in case everyone dumps Ms and you are left stranded.   Won’t happen, and this forum is only representing a small proportion of global end users, so indications here are skewed.  

have you progressed from research to actual ownership of anything Leica yet?

Well not yet., I almost pulled the plug but the Q2 unsettled me with another option, my only concern is the limitations of the focal length and limited versatility if it was my only caner. 

I see the Q as a second. body to either an M, or the SL (with which it shares batteries)

I am planning on getting the Q2 and I have sold a couple of M bodies to finance it

I am keeping the M10 and the SL and between those 3 I can cover 99% of what I can think of

Posted (edited)

All I can say is that there is a balanced debate here, but clearly those that are recommending the Q (read their profiles) are much more likely to own more than one alternative body and not without good reason..  I’m concerned that a new member with no Leica ownership and some lack of experience is being tempted to go down a very narrow path that doesn’t appear to be appropriate.   I’ve engaged with the OP since January, and he is being confused by so many options that don’t align with his requirements and his location in the U.K.  

IMHO the otherwise excellent Leica Q/Q2 should not be chosen as a sole, regular camera for the intention of long focal reach. I.e 75mm.   Really, despite all the hype of four selectable focal lengths it’s a fixed 28mm camera.  75mm results in more than 60% discarded  pixels.

Edited by lucerne

Is the OP printing? If so I wholeheartedly agree.

If the OP is downloading to his phone or computer to share with family and friends the crop mode would easily be enough. 

Not sure.  He has non Leica system at present.  His original January postings possibly define his output plans.

Posted (edited)

I´m shooting most of the time with M10 + 50mm APO.

For fast situations, I use Sony A7R III + 24-105 f4 (  I hate the optic and the ergonomics of this camera ).

To get a better and much lighter camera with high res, I´m thinking to change from M10 to Q2. Even the Autofocus on Sony is stunning! If you switch back to M10 it feels so complicated to get a fast good shot.

Edited by TrickyMrT

Thanks for all the comments. 

My primary use would be for travel and some Landscapes. I use a Canon 1DX for nature and wildlife. 

I would anticipate the odd A3 print, having always used zooms and owned the So y A7r III with 24-70 f2.8 lens I have been used to having the versatility of different focal lengths and IS etc. So any Leica would be a radical move, but it's one that I feel may make me a more considered photographer. Q2 meets the balance of EVF and current tech but the M10 appeals to me because its what I call a real Leica with soul and caricter. But the issue is I have limited budget for lenses so its likely to be zeiss. 

The other option is a used M420 to see how I like the rangefinder first before investing big money

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eazypix/

Some interesting comments.  I own the Q, M10 and SL.  I find the Q is a good single camera for holidays when photography is not the main objective.

I also go on photographic holidays with my son and here the Q is always my second camera.  A few months back I took the Q and M10 to the Outer Hebrides - the M10 with 24mm, 35mm, 50mm and 90mm lenses.  About 25% of my photos were taken with the Q, all without cropping.  The M10 count was pretty even between 35mm, 50mm and 90mm.  I did not take a single photo with the 24mm - it just didn't feel it was sufficiently wider than the Q.  

I will swap the Q for a Q2 and my two camera combo next time will probably be Q2 and SL with 75mm.  The Q2 should be good enough at 35mm and 50mm; I will treat the SL as a fixed lens camera so no worries about changing lenses, dust etc.  Two cameras with the same battery is also an advantage.

2 hours ago, Flyer said:

Thanks for all the comments. 

My primary use would be for travel and some Landscapes. I use a Canon 1DX for nature and wildlife. 

I would anticipate the odd A3 print, having always used zooms and owned the So y A7r III with 24-70 f2.8 lens I have been used to having the versatility of different focal lengths and IS etc. So any Leica would be a radical move, but it's one that I feel may make me a more considered photographer. Q2 meets the balance of EVF and current tech but the M10 appeals to me because its what I call a real Leica with soul and caricter. But the issue is I have limited budget for lenses so its likely to be zeiss. 

The other option is a used M420 to see how I like the rangefinder first before investing big money

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eazypix/

If you are used to a Canon 1Dx, I do not see a real advantage of the M10 over the M240 for you.