Purchase used Leica M-P (Typ 240) ​?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Greetings, I am doing some research on buying a used M.  I am not a pro, just a devotee since my father used them, and I can now afford it. 

I have 3 main questions surrounding purchasing a used Leica and I am thinking about buying a M-P (Typ 240).

1. Do reputable photo houses refurbish the camera's or send them to Leica for a certified-used designation?

2. Are there more reputable stories to purchase from?   I am dubious about eBay.  What about B&H in New York, Tamarkin seems overpriced with little inventory.  Can anyone make recommendations?

3. What should I look for.  Someone told at a photo store that Leica cannot provide the number of actuations.  Is that right?  I basically don't want to spend >$4000 on a something that has 100, 000 miles on it, so to speak. 

Thank you all for your feedback.

I bought my M262 and a 28mm lens from Tamarkin and their prices for those particular second-hand items were actually lower than the average online prices at the time.

With used Leicas, the price seems greatly influenced by how many scratches and dings are visible. I would guess that the higher priced offerings from the bigger dealers are in virtually like-new condition. With my 262, the original owner had removed the protective plastic film from the bottom plate, plus the model info sticker, resulting in some bare-metal scratches in the black paint. That alone probably knocked $1500 off the resale value of the camera.

As for shutter actuations, in the absence of an actual count, physical wear provides the only clues. I'm sure that most dealers have their used cameras checked, calibrated, cleaned and software updated, but I doubt that they perform a full overhaul unless it's really necessary.

There are many reputable sellers on eBay and some of the big dealers divert their less-than-perfect used inventory to their own separate eBay stores, which you should take note of. Bottom line, I would not buy a Leica camera or lens from any seller who did not have a no-questions-asked 14-day return policy. Better yet is a 30, 60 or 90 day warranty period. That's what separates the casual sellers from the reputable photo houses.

As someone who has a used M240-P for sale on this forum's classified section I'd like to express a few points:

1. Know who you are buying from. If you are buying from eBay then ask what is the seller's feedback history? This forum's classified section allows for any questions to be directed to the seller. The seller's history can be investigated and checked by searching their postings. The forum charges a flat fee to advertise with no percentage payable either by the buyer or seller.

2. eBay charges a seller 10% of the final value. PayPal then takes a further percentage.  There is no charge to the buyer.

3. I have bought and sold items via this forum's classified section, including high value items. Every transaction has worked well.

17 hours ago, iriscaddis said:

Greetings, I am doing some research on buying a used M.  I am not a pro, just a devotee since my father used them, and I can now afford it. 

I have 3 main questions surrounding purchasing a used Leica and I am thinking about buying a M-P (Typ 240).

1. Do reputable photo houses refurbish the camera's or send them to Leica for a certified-used designation?

2. Are there more reputable stories to purchase from?   I am dubious about eBay.  What about B&H in New York, Tamarkin seems overpriced with little inventory.  Can anyone make recommendations?

3. What should I look for.  Someone told at a photo store that Leica cannot provide the number of actuations.  Is that right?  I basically don't want to spend >$4000 on a something that has 100, 000 miles on it, so to speak. 

Try Popflash.com, Tony Rose is a long time reputable dealer.  He is also based in SoCal.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lee Rust said:

I bought my M262 and a 28mm lens from Tamarkin and their prices for those particular second-hand items were actually lower than the average online prices at the time.

With used Leicas, the price seems greatly influenced by how many scratches and dings are visible. I would guess that the higher priced offerings from the bigger dealers are in virtually like-new condition. With my 262, the original owner had removed the protective plastic film from the bottom plate, plus the model info sticker, resulting in some bare-metal scratches in the black paint. That alone probably knocked $1500 off the resale value of the camera.

As for shutter actuations, in the absence of an actual count, physical wear provides the only clues. I'm sure that most dealers have their used cameras checked, calibrated, cleaned and software updated, but I doubt that they perform a full overhaul unless it's really necessary.

There are many reputable sellers on eBay and some of the big dealers divert their less-than-perfect used inventory to their own separate eBay stores, which you should take note of. Bottom line, I would not buy a Leica camera or lens from any seller who did not have a no-questions-asked 14-day return policy. Better yet is a 30, 60 or 90 day warranty period. That's what separates the casual sellers from the reputable photo houses.

Lee, thanks for the reply.  How do you like the M262? I was thinking about it and do I need Live View and video?  Great points and appreciate the time. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, Peter Kilmister said:

As someone who has a used M240-P for sale on this forum's classified section I'd like to express a few points:

1. Know who you are buying from. If you are buying from eBay then ask what is the seller's feedback history? This forum's classified section allows for any questions to be directed to the seller. The seller's history can be investigated and checked by searching their postings. The forum charges a flat fee to advertise with no percentage payable either by the buyer or seller.

2. eBay charges a seller 10% of the final value. PayPal then takes a further percentage.  There is no charge to the buyer.

3. I have bought and sold items via this forum's classified section, including high value items. Every transaction has worked well.

Peter, thank you so much for the pointers.  I will check your post. 

I'm content with the M262. The menus are simple, the shutter is extremely quiet, the battery lasts for many days of moderate shooting and the aluminum top reduces the weight a bit compared to the M240. My camera came with a plastic screen protector on the LCD that completely eliminates any concerns about fingerprints and scratches, plus it dulls the gloss of the screen to the point that it practically disappears into the back of the camera body. Not quite a screenless M-D, but close enough for me. I also like the fact that the top of the M262 is completely black...no logo. The red dot doesn't bother me and nobody has EVER made any comment about my camera being a Leica.

I rarely shoot video and even if I did, I don't think a rangefinder would be the best way to go. I carry a little Canon point & shoot in the pocket of my Leica bag for that kind of thing. As for live view, there have been a few times with the 135mm lens when framing the image for closeups would have been easier, but most of the time I don't miss it.

On 3/10/2019 at 9:03 PM, iriscaddis said:

I've had good luck through local Craigslist ads, Facebook film gear groups and even Ebay. I'd recommend browsing through the local ads as I always see a few in the ads here. It seems people are selling their 240 and 262 to get the newer M10.

If you are patient you will find copies that are near mint at a discount over store prices. Good luck!

On 3/10/2019 at 9:03 PM, iriscaddis said:

camera west or leica SF are the same company, and they are closest to you. 

test the accuracy of RF focusing with many different lenses before you buy it used or new.

1) i don't think so

2) don't trust, check it yourself

3) no actuator

I had been looking for a digital M since the M8. I know I am slow to make decisions. Finally, I decided that I wanted a M240-P.  I have used M6 cameras for years for my personal work. Professionally as a photojournalist I used Nikon, then Leica R and finally Canon EOS.  Still use Canon for work. My Leicas are my passion for personal work. I had a great experience with David and Josh at the Miami Leica store (Dale Camera). They provided me with a mint used M-P, exactly as described with 2 batteries, all accessories and 30 day return for an extremely fair price. They earned my business and I highly recommend their shop. They don’t pay me for a reference I promise. Buying used was scary for me but new was not in my budget. Though digital is nice, I still shoot film in my 6’s and scan that too. I shot my Yosemite trip with b&w on my film cameras (the 240 was too heavy for the backpack). Good luck in your search.

• Thanks 1

Tamarkin the father, the son, Connecticut, NYC and now Chicago - never less than accuracy and integrity. I would feel better buying from them with their guarantee than anyone else.  I am not suggesting others are bad,  just that they have always been very, very good. Regards, ron

Thank you all for your great advice and recommendations.  @MMercierI was checking out Leica Miami this past weekend, and @jaeger, I never new about Camera West.

@Ronazle, yes Tamarkin has always been a big player with amazing reputation. I thnk I am missing a few people, so thank you.

Now I just need to spend the $$$$.  ;) 

I purchased a mint MP240 about 14 months ago from ClassicConnection.  Most of the used ones I see are still priced more then I paid Sam for it.  Check out his site.  I have been dealing with both Sam and Tamarkin for years.  Both are dealers with incredible integrity.  I love mine and have no desire to upgrade to an M10.

A  few yeras agp had bought a Nikon D 300 privately from a kijiji seller, The camera had a low shutter count and owner claimed it functioned well but it never really was able to produce decent pictures, even when I purchase new lenses, It never really worked properly. Made me apprehensive to buy a used camera. So next 2 nikons were bought new.

About a year ago I purchased a MP240 from a dealer closest to me about an hour away. He advertised it on kijiji. He had sold the camera originally, had minimal usage and also included in the price was a 50 summicron .Previous owner traded it in for m10. The dealer included 90 day warranty. It definitely was reassuring buying from the dealer and knowing the history. It had worked flawlessly for me. Price was inline with other used MP240 that were listed for sale at the time