Leica S System Help

Greg Haag

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am hoping to get some guidance on a way to test out the Leica S system. I currently shoot with the Hasselblad H6D-100c but am interested in transitioning to the Leica S3. I think before I sell my current system it might be wise to buy a used Leica S 006 or 007 and lens and shoot with it for a bit, until the S3 is available. High iso is of no real importance to me, almost everything I shoot is at 100 iso. I shoot architectural, landscape and some portraits. I would appreciate any insight or suggestions.
Thank you in advance,
Greg

If you're in the US, Jeff's advice is gold, Leica Miami are known as a very good and highly reputable dealer.

As for trying to get to know the system before the S3 arrives, the S007 is much the same camera sans the 64MP sensor, so that camera will get you closest to the S3 experience.

Are you going to adapt your Hasselblad lenses or get S lenses straight away?

+1 on Leica Miami. Try to fetch a Hasselblad S-Adapter H on the used market, if you are serious about the switch, in case you are owning some H lenses. Stan Tamarkin used to sell them for around 400 US$ more or less new a while ago. Not sure he's got any left.

37 minutes ago, Photon42 said:

+1 on Leica Miami. Try to fetch a Hasselblad S-Adapter H on the used market, if you are serious about the switch, in case you are owning some H lenses. Stan Tamarkin used to sell them for around 400 US$ more or less new a while ago. Not sure he's got any left.

Two Hassy-adapters are still available on the ebay to very reduced price...

Thank you to everyone for your help!  Is there someone at Leica Miami I should ask for?

Regarding my Hasselblad Lenses, I will probably try to make a transition over time to mainly Leica lenses.  Initially I am thinking about the Leica 24mm and the 120mm, then maybe the 70mm next. 

Thanks again,

Greg

• Like 1

Josh is great and manages used gear; they can direct you to a good resource, including discussions regarding new products.  David Farkas, the owner, knows a thing or two and has knowledgeable staff.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

4 hours ago, peterv said:

If you're in the US, Jeff's advice is gold, Leica Miami are known as a very good and highly reputable dealer.

I checked his profile before commenting.  These days, however, international communication and sales is often not a problem. Leica Miami even sponsors international workshops.  There are other reputable dealers who could address his needs, in the US and elsewhere, but Miami is a safe bet with David Farkas and his background with the S system.

Jeff

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Josh is great and manages used gear; they can direct you to a good resource, including discussions regarding new products.  David Farkas, the owner, knows a thing or two and has knowledgeable staff.

Jeff

Thank you Jeff!

I have dealt with Leica Store Miami from abroad, and they are totally fine. You might get a better deal if you are Europe from another route, depending on the VAT arrangements etc, but Leica Store Miami is indeed very good. Popflash Photo has also been very good for me in the past, as well as Phototechnica in Copenhagen and Leica Store Berlin (I live in the middle of the Atlantic, so I keep my options open!). 

Regarding the S system, the S adapter H is likely a very good option for you, if only to retain use of a broader range of focal lengths, especially with the use of the lens shutters. 

I have not used the 24mm S lens, as that is wider than I tend to favor, but the 120mm lens is spectacular. Given the fact that you are interested in the S3, I think the S007 is probably the better choice, as it is likely to be more comparable in color and handling to the S3 than the 006, which has the CCD colors and handling. 

23 minutes ago, Stuart Richardson said:

I have dealt with Leica Store Miami from abroad, and they are totally fine. You might get a better deal if you are Europe from another route, depending on the VAT arrangements etc, but Leica Store Miami is indeed very good. Popflash Photo has also been very good for me in the past, as well as Phototechnica in Copenhagen and Leica Store Berlin (I live in the middle of the Atlantic, so I keep my options open!). 

Regarding the S system, the S adapter H is likely a very good option for you, if only to retain use of a broader range of focal lengths, especially with the use of the lens shutters. 

I have not used the 24mm S lens, as that is wider than I tend to favor, but the 120mm lens is spectacular. Given the fact that you are interested in the S3, I think the S007 is probably the better choice, as it is likely to be more comparable in color and handling to the S3 than the 006, which has the CCD colors and handling. 

Thanks Stuart, I am in the US so Leica Miami appears to be my best option.  I spoke with Josh a few minutes ago and he is looking at their inventory to let me know what my options are.

Thanks for you input!

By options, I was not just referring to what products they have in stock this moment, but general options regarding ways to determine if the system is right for you (used, demo, rent?), which model to start, potential trade on S3 if and when the time comes, etc.  They get stuff in all the time.

Jeff

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

I checked his profile before commenting.  These days, however, international communication and sales is often not a problem. Leica Miami even sponsors international workshops.  There are other reputable dealers who could address his needs, in the US and elsewhere, but Miami is a safe bet with David Farkas and his background with the S system.

Jeff

I did trade in quite some used gear with Josh and that was out of Switzerland. Excellent contact. I would suggest to send used goods through EMS and clearly declare them as USED.

5 minutes ago, John McMaster said:

I bought some of my lenses from them when I was in New Zealand, just had a look and they do not seem to do anything with the S System these days?

john

It's been awhile, but I am sure Tony would do a special order or keep an eye out for you if you were interested in something. He has a lot of contacts and sources...

5 minutes ago, John McMaster said:

I bought some of my lenses from them when I was in New Zealand, just had a look and they do not seem to do anything with the S System these days?

john

Tony Rose hasn’t actively dealt with the S in some time; too many bad experiences with the system on behalf of his customers.  But of course he still provides support to customers and will order as desired.  Miami is still promoting and stocking  the system.

Jeff

16 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Call Leica Miami... trustworthy dealer, extremely familiar with the S system. I’m sure they will be happy to explore options with you.  

Jeff

No one better that David Farkas or Josh Lehrer....

Would suggest you use 007 as a base as it is newer and not prone to CCD corrosion.

Albert