Carrying the Telyt R 280/2.8 Apo lens

dkCambridgeshire

Advertisement (gone after registration)

According to the Leitz instruction manual, the Telyt R 280/2.8 Apo lens weighs 2.75kg - but on my scales it's just over 3kg c/w hand support and caps .Add another 3.5kg for the aluminium case and total weight = 6.5kg. A lighter solution for carrying is a padded lens case … thus the following use of a LowePro 5 case (internal dimensions 29cm x 12cm diameter) purchased years ago. The nearest equivalent nowadays is the LowePro 13x32.

https://www.lowepro.com/uk-en/lens-case-13-x-32cm-lp36307-pww/

Total weight of the lens, case and Billingham shoulder pad is 3.64kg … including the Arca plate. Personally I don't have any use for the lens' hand support shown in the first photo; it's too small for my large hands and awkward to grip. Much prefer to keep the illustrated Arca plate permanently attached for instant use in the Arca saddle on my Jobu Design gimbal. 

This carrying solution will not suit everyone but it's practical and takes up less room than the original aluminium case. 

Transporting the camera and tripod / monopod and a few accessories requires another two bags but it's do-able provided not walking too far or working from a car. If walking longish distances e.g. on nature reserves I use a trolley … but the LowePro lens case stays on my shoulder to avoid jolting the lens elements.  Note the extra foam padding added to the LowePro case lid; there's a similar piece added to the base interior. 

There are a number of forum posts debating the pros and cons of Apo Telyt 280/2.8 vs. the later Apo Telyt 280/4. I've owned both and prefer the 280/2.8 because it's more useful in low light situations - especially when coupled to Leitz APO extenders. They're both excellent lenses but beware of buying a 280/4 with a sticky lens diaphragm. Another reason I like the 280/2.8 is its '2 gear' focusing ring i.e. it has two diameters - the larger diameter enabling finer focus. 

dunk

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hello Jan, Heavy lens but not so heavy as the Telyt S 800/6.3.   I use the Jobu Design gimbal on a Gitzo carbon fibre tripod. I bought the gimbal 6 years ago but nowadays there are more lightweight carbon fibre gimbals. I still use the trolley which doubles as a seat … but this seat photo shows me using a modified Nikon J5 with a Linhof ball head on the Gitzo tripod. The J5 (1" sensor, 2.7x crop factor) can also be coupled to the Telyt 280/2.8 as a 756mm lens but I have not yet experimented with the combination  … a project for another day. 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 2

… the Eckla trolley (made in Germany) which doubles as a comfortable seat . Trolley has had 6 years hard use and is excellent value and very practical. 

Photo taken by forum member mike_j 

dunk 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, John McMaster said:

You should try moving the 800/5.6 APO Modular lens.....

john

6200g … I'm used to trolleying the Telyt S 800/6.3 which weighs 6800g plus weight of its case. Too impractical to transport and also required a very HD tripod … thus sold it.  My Nikon J5 and 70-300 (810mm FF equivalent) weighs just 1.3kg, has IS (thus usable handheld)  …  all fits in a small Billingham bag and is capable of excellent results. 

dunk 

Not the 280mm f2.8, but it's larger sister 400mm f2.8 APO-Telyt-R (the non-modular one), since I have just got hand on one... The 400mm bazooka fits nicely into the Nikon CL-L2 semi-soft lens case, even with the 1.4x or the 2x APO-Extender-R mounted. Just in case someone wonder...

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, wann said:

would like to get a 280mm R lens for my M body. or are there better ways to extend the focal length of M 123mm?

Which M body? If your M is a M240 or later, 'digital M', there are various options including non-Leica tele / long focus lenses … but whether they are practical is another matter. If it's a film M, there are Visoflex options. 

dunk

11 hours ago, wann said:

dear dunk, im currently using 135mm M lens on M10. would the R 280mm fit in, and is it worth the difference??

The Leica R 280/2.8 and R 280/4 are usable with the M10 via the Novoflex R to M adapter but will also require an accessory  electronic viewfinder i.e. the Leica Visoflex Type 020 … but such a combination also requires a tripod for efficient imaging . If you want to use a long focus / telephoto Leica R lens without a tripod, a better solution would be to consider acquiring a mirrorless body with IBIS (In Body Image Stabilisation)  e.g. a Sony A6500 (APS-C format) or Sony A 7II (FF format) … and 'try before you buy' 

Google 'Leica R lenses on Leica M10 for more information. 

dunk 

I'm a newbie at R telephoto (80-200 f/4 and the 2x extender) on the CL. But I found sharpness improved significantly when I used the Leica tabletop tripod as a chestpod.  With practice that's becoming quite workable (for me at least). But sorry to take us off topic.

Edited by bags27
  • Thanks 1

With the big Leica lenses you've got to be a bit careful not to strain the lens mount with the weight of the lens. This means you must let the lens take the weight of the camera, and not vice versa. In particular, use the tripod support on the lens and not on the camera.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 year later...
On 3/13/2019 at 4:54 PM, John McMaster said:

You should try moving the 800/5.6 APO Modular lens.....

I move this lens for years, using the original case (Leica 14526) and its strap (see here). It's not very comfortable to carry but I can sit on it 😎 For smaller lenses, I have a backpack (and old Lowepro Nature Trekker II AW). I'm  considering buying a backpack than can hold the 800 mm f/5,6. Any idea for this usage? I've seen the 3 models below :

But a user's opinion would be ideal. The prominent grip of the Leica 400/560/800 head can be a difficulty.

I have a ridiculously heavy Pelican case; holds both APO-Modular heads, 1.4x and 2x focusing units, R 280/4, R 70-180/2.8 and R 1.4x APO.  Main difficulty is finding a tripod/head that will hold them steady.  I use a Zone VI wooden tripod (the larger surveyor style) with a Wimberley gimbal head, works much better than my CF Gitzo/cube combo....

john

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2020 at 6:59 PM, gautier said:

I have now this lens bag. The Apo-Telyt-Modul-R 800 mm f/5.6 fits perfectly (with the lens hood reversed).

I haven't really use it yet. The lens should not move. The bottom of the bag holds the large lens cap well. On the focusing module, there is a flexible protection in two parts. A tripod can be fixed (there is a removable pocket and several belts for that). The bag can be covered by a weather protection, if the rain is heavy).

• Like 2