Upgrading from Q1 to Q2? {merged}

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/11/2019 at 10:40 AM, nicci78 said:

"Q2 is very close to a perfect no brainer upgrade, but it removes these from the Q :

• no more video button. Why ? it so useful. If you do not need it, just deactivate it. 
  • no more touch and release AF. Why ? it is very practical in some situations. 
  • no more cheap and easy to find batteries.
  • no more easily accessible right dial. Q2 moves it a little bit more far right. Just to make room for new official Q2 thumb rest. This annoyed me, I have to shift my thumb to reach its new awkward position. By the way, with the new thumb rest, this dial is no more accessible at all. You have to really raise and shift your thumb far away to pass the thumb rest. Very weird. 
  • Q2 lens barrel is somewhat uglier, with larger macro ring and fatter aperture ring. They will be more accessible though."

I had a QP delivered 10 days ago at the discounted price, just before the Q2 was announced. Unfortunately I had problems with the camera freezing up intermittently, requiring removal of the battery and its re-insertion. I returned it and put my name on the waiting list for the Q2. However having read quotes such as above, and other comments elsewhere, I have cancelled the Q2 order and asked for a replacement Q P. I would add to the above points: (1) large file sizes requiring the four times more expensive SD cards, unless you are happy to have slow transfer speeds and take relatively few numbers of pictures, (2) The loss of a USB connection port. (3) My already purchased Thumbs Up grip and LIM half case which will not fit the Q2, I believe.

£550 cheaper,  two batteries and no big red Leica spot on the front asking to have the camera torn from your hand or neck (alright, you could cover it over with gaffer tape but I want to minimise the use of that to covering the microphone and speaker holes).

Perhaps I should have waited longer to order it for prices to fall, but hey ho.......

Many people forget that 24MP provides an awful lot of resolution, enough to make excellent prints at 30x40 inches. For me, that is quite sufficient, and larger files would be more cumbersome and add little to the quality of my prints, which rarely go larger than 13x19. The Q is a pleasure use, and though the Q2 may have improvements, they are nothing that I can't live without. The only real weakness of the Q, IMO, is the noise levels at ISOs of 6400 and above. Fortunately, DxO has given us Prime noise reduction, which can work miracles and make super noisy files look remarkably good, so I tend not to worry about the Q's noise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 1 Stunde schrieb RockettMan:

Get the SL 2!

The SL2 would be the camera of my choice IF i would go back being a non professional photographer hauling around the world several lenses and accessoires.
The reason for the Q/Q2 is the combination of a excellent sensor paired with a excellent lens in a splah/dustproof small package.
SL2 835 grms @ a dimension of 146 x 107 x 42 mm (6,92 x 4.21 x 1.65)
Q2 652 gms @ a size of 30 × 80 × 91.9 mm (5.12 × 3.15 × 3.62 in) this includes the lens!

Also SL2 + 28mm is in the US priced at 5995$ for the body and 5095$ for the APO Sumicron 35mm f/2.0 ASPH, the double as the Q2

The SL2 with the same lens is bigger and heavier and the temptation to buy more lenses is huge.... Devil, please leave me alone!!!

Chris

Edited by PhotoCruiser
  • Like 1

Since I posted my reply to this question over one year ago, I gave in to temptation and purchased a Q2. I have no regrets.  The extra resolution does come in handy on occasion, and the images seem to have more pop and better color. As others have mentioned, weatherproofing is a welcome feature. I am still a big fan of the original Q and can recommend it highly to those who want to spend less money. I have not yet sold mine, mostly out of laziness. Anyone who is interested can PM me, if that is permitted on this forum.

• Like 1

I did not own the original Q, but I did join the party with the Q2.  It is a monster of a camera.  IMHO, the 47mp sensor is worth upgrading for all on its own. 

I would say definitely upgrade.  Or if possible, add a Q2 to your kit and keep your Q as a backup. 

In my experience, it is always better to keep what you already have and add to your kit, if at all possible. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had an original Q now for a few Years and loved everything about.. Till i tried out the Q2. To me personally it is the better Camera in every Aspect.

More Pixels, more dynamic Range, better Sealing and oh God, the new Viewfinder alone is worth the Upgrade. The old Viewfinder always looked washed out with false Colors and a blueish Tint to it. The new one just looks right to my Eyes.

I gave the original Q to my Wife and she loves it. It is no bad Camera by any means, just to me, the Q2 is superior in every Way. But at the End of the Day, i would be totally happy with one or the other

• Like 2