nariza7

Upgrading from Q1 to Q2? {merged}

vor 3 Minuten schrieb nicci78:

The new way to toggle between different screen to reach video with central D-pad button or by swiping the screen, is way worst. I miss video, when I want to shoot one and I shoot video instead of a photo. Just because I forgot to toggle back to photo mode ! Stupid.

You have to accept that the Q² is not a camera designed primarily for video.

And I don't understand how you can't notice that you're in video mode, after all it's clearly displayed.

Posted (edited)

Nope, still searching 🤔 Actually I am looking for reasons to buy it. I really want it, but some rationale prevents me to buy it. 

After 50K photos with the Q, it is more a muscle memory problem.

But missing video button, really annoyed me. Miss it so much with CL. Video and photos should be able to live together in peace.

Please stop fighting video Leica. Why bother to add 4K in one hand, to cripple the ability to shoot videos on the other hand. 

Edited by nicci78

3 minutes ago, jmschuh said:

You have to accept that the Q² is not a camera designed primarily for video.

And I don't understand how you can't notice that you're in video mode, after all it's clearly displayed.

Try it, you will make the mistake sometimes. By the way, the only difference are the recording sound level, not very obvious. My wife really hated that, so she makes the mistake from time to time, and keep asking me how to make a video with the CL. In the end, she only make video with the Q. This is how I cannot sell the Q for Q2. Video is really important for both of us. 

The Q is the best camera I've ever had. It ticks all the boxes and love every aspect of it.

After reading a few reviews Leica did manage to make it even better. I don't really need the new features, but they're all nice to have and I like the smaller improvements (like the on/off switch). So it depends if I'm able to get a good deal trading in my Q. If not, I'm happy with the Q1 :)

vor 35 Minuten schrieb nicci78:

Try it, you will make the mistake sometimes.

I've been taking pictures with the Q² for four months now and haven't had the problem yet. If you see the microphone symbol with the peak meter at the top of the screen, it is obvious that you are in video mode. It's even easier if you only take your photos in the mode where only the bottom bar with icons is displayed.

The Q1 was also not very suitable for intensive video use, because video without manual adjustment of all parameters is rather a gimmick on the mobile phone level.

The Q1 as well as the Q² are perfect tools for photography, but only very limitedly recommended for video use.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, jmschuh said:

I've been taking pictures with the Q² for four months now and haven't had the problem yet. If you see the microphone symbol with the peak meter at the top of the screen, it is obvious that you are in video mode. It's even easier if you only take your photos in the mode where only the bottom bar with icons is displayed.

The Q1 was also not very suitable for intensive video use, because video without manual adjustment of all parameters is rather a gimmick on the mobile phone level.

The Q for video is excellent (and good enough). and it also did auto focusing when i was lazy.  

Edited by Hazesus

vor 5 Minuten schrieb Hazesus:

The Q for video is excellent (and good enough). and it also did auto focusing when i was lazy.  

I don't want to deny that you can make nice videos with the Q, but if you show the Q to someone who makes videos today with a GH4 or an X-T3, then you just get a tired smile. ;)

Does anyone tried playing with it yet in this forum? I'm considering trading in my Q for Q2 if it has better processor which might help with connectivity with iPhone app. the Q sucks at this. Basically, i have to reconnect after downloading 3 photos. Very buggy and slow

vor 17 Minuten schrieb Octochan:

Does anyone tried playing with it yet in this forum? I'm considering trading in my Q for Q2 if it has better processor which might help with connectivity with iPhone app. the Q sucks at this. Basically, i have to reconnect after downloading 3 photos. Very buggy and slow

The Leica Photos app, which supports the Q², will be launched at the beginning of April. Until then, nobody can make a reliable statement.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jmschuh said:

The Q1 as well as the Q² are perfect tools for photography, but only very limitedly recommended for video use.

Sorry not for me, tiny mic and tiny sound level, on a small screen, is not what I call obvious. Even the red dot blinking when video is shot is too tiny. 

May be you do not use video function that often to raise the issue ? 

Anyway swiping screen or pressing central button several time to get into or out of video mode, is not user friendly at all.

Worst, you cannot figure it by yourself, when you pick the camera for the first time. The worst thing in Leica new UI introduced with CL and Q2. Not a deal breaker, I love my CL, but hate how hard it is to shoot a video.

By the way, we are in 2019, I do not want to bring another video competent digital camera with me. I just want my digital Leica being able to shoot nice videos, with a minimum of manual control. That's it. If I have to use another camera brand, for that. Isn't it easier for me, not to shoot Leica at all ? Q2 is 739g with hood, if I had to carry another 700g for nice video, it will kill the Q2 compactness. 

PS : Q2 1080p 120 fps footage, are absolutely awful. A shame. Even an old iPhone produce sharper slomo video. 

Edited by nicci78

Posted (edited)

"You are right, old ON/OFF switch is annoying. But video button is really nice, I do not understand, why it is a problem"

Because it is not a video camera, and I don't want/need video.... not because it is bad. For me it is superfluous.

Edited by LexS

I am in the market for a used Q1.  Wonder how long it will take for used Q1 prices to stabilize.  Afraid to purchase now as prices will dip somewhat as trade ins for the Q2 happen.  Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, Judy Babinski said:

I am in the market for a used Q1.  Wonder how long it will take for used Q1 prices to stabilize.  Afraid to purchase now as prices will dip somewhat as trade ins for the Q2 happen.  Any thoughts?

The market has already factored in the intro of the Q2. You can buy anytime. 

1 hour ago, Judy Babinski said:

Have mine listed on ebay at the moment. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-Q-Type-116-19000-24-2MP-with-Summilux-28mm-f-1-7-ASPH-Lens-Black/273752155500 

Posted (edited)

I took my Q to Scotland where I used it while hiking the highlands. It rained constantly. When the rain was really coming down I just put the camera under my raincoat, and then took it out when the rain let up. There were some shots I took in the rain, but then put the Q back under my coat as soon as I snapped the pic. And the camera was constantly wet. And despite all that, the Q performed beautifully. All that said, I'm in for the Q2, if for no other reason than to never have to deal with that #!&!!#* video record button ever again!

https://brick.smugmug.com/Travel/2018-9-London-Scotland/

Edited by brickftl

The Q2 looks very very nice, but my Q has a lot of life left in it. I can't imagine that my photos will improve because of the upgrade.  When my Q dies...

Has Leica ever proposed a way to resuscitate a dead Q?  In other words reuse the lens in some way or replace the inner workings?

On 3/11/2019 at 3:40 AM, nicci78 said:

no more touch and release AF

Anyone confirm if this is actually true? Seems crazy, and would be a potential deal-breaker for me.

14 minutes ago, gotium said:

Anyone confirm if this is actually true? Seems crazy, and would be a potential deal-breaker for me.

it seems to be the case, AF touch is an option but it does not fire the shutter.